Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

I disagree, I prefer the O/W/O and think it matches the B/W/B and O/B/O stripe schemes a little better.

I think orange/white/orange clashes badly with the other stripe patterns, not to mention the fact that white on the outside had always been their stripe pattern on brown... until 2015.

Honestly, I don’t think the brown jersey stripe pattern works well with the white jersey stripe pattern, so I’d never mix variations of them on the same uniform. The stripeless brown pants worked better with the white uniform than those striped ones do, and I don’t even like stripeless pants very much.

The color rush pants with the white uniform, though, that might work. Picturing it in my head, the double orange stripe on brown nicely links to the stripe pattern on the white jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think orange/white/orange clashes badly with the other stripe patterns, not to mention the fact that white on the outside had always been their stripe pattern on brown... until 2015.

Honestly, I don’t think the brown jersey stripe pattern works well with the white jersey stripe pattern, so I’d never mix variations of them on the same uniform. The stripeless brown pants worked better with the white uniform than those striped ones do, and I don’t even like stripeless pants very much.

I get where you’re coming from with the first part, but brown on the outside has always been the traditional jersey stripe pattern on white, yet their classic white pants have orange on the outside. So I don’t really think it’s a big deal having orange on the outside of the brown pant stripe when the brown jerseys have white on the outside. Plus IMO the brown pants should absolutely never be worn with the brown tops, which would erase that clash issue. Strictly aesthetically speaking I think the white pants match the white jerseys better with B/O/B stripes, but again the O/B/O is the classic look and I look at it as being the three inner stripes of the classic white jersey sleeve stripe pattern. And in that case O/W/O matches the three inner stripes of the brown jersey sleeve stripe pattern as well.

If the Browns do have brown pants in their wardrobe I think they absolutely must have stripes and must only be worn with the white tops. I never cared for the solid brown pants they had in ‘08-‘09 and ‘13-‘14, especially because it opened up the possibility of the yoga pants look when they switched it up and went with brown socks (which they did in ‘08 and ‘13). In a perfect world the Browns shouldn’t even have brown pants at all IMO, but if they must have them I think having O/W/O stripes on them is the best way to make them tolerable, for the reasons outlined above.

spacer.png

Edit- Didn’t see the edit you made about the CR brown pants with the white tops. Here’s what that looks like @andrewharrington:

spacer.png
The CR stripes definitely match the white jersey stripes better, but I think the pants need a touch of white to truly look cohesive with the jerseys and helmets. Having that inner stripe (and swoosh) white is the perfect amount to balance everything out IMO. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

30 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I get where you’re coming from with the first part, but brown on the outside has always been the traditional jersey stripe pattern on white, yet their classic white pants have orange on the outside. So I don’t really think it’s a big deal having orange on the outside of the brown pant stripe when the brown jerseys have white on the outside. Plus IMO the brown pants should absolutely never be worn with the brown tops, which would erase that clash issue. Strictly aesthetically speaking I think the white pants match the white jerseys better with B/O/B stripes, but again the O/B/O is the classic look and I look at it as being the three inner stripes of the classic white jersey sleeve stripe pattern. And in that case O/W/O matches the three inner stripes of the brown jersey sleeve stripe pattern as well.

If the Browns do have brown pants in their wardrobe I think they absolutely must have stripes and must only be worn with the white tops. I never cared for the solid brown pants they had in ‘08-‘09 and ‘13-‘14, especially because it opened up the possibility of the yoga pants look when they switched it up and went with brown socks (which they did in ‘08 and ‘13). In a perfect world the Browns shouldn’t even have brown pants at all IMO, but if they must have them I think having O/W/O stripes on them is the best way to make them tolerable, for the reasons outlined above.

spacer.png

Edit- Didn’t see the edit you made about the CR brown pants with the white tops. Here’s what that looks like @andrewharrington:

spacer.png
The CR stripes definitely match the jersey stripes better, but I think the pants need a touch of white to look cohesive with the rest of the look. Having that inner stripe (and the swoosh) white is the perfect amount to balance everything out IMO. 

I don’t hate it, but I’m with you on your larger point; it’s just unnecessary.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

29 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t hate it, but I’m with you on your larger point; it’s just unnecessary.

Yeah, exactly. There isn’t a single combo that looks better with brown pants as opposed to white or orange. And having brown pants in the rotation with this new set will almost surely lead to them going mono-brown at some point, just as they did every season from ‘13-‘18 (just talking about going mono-brown with the normal sets, not the CR since that’s it’s own set).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It wasn't the helmet that was carbon fiber. It was just the brown stripes on the helmet that had the carbon fiber pattern.  That's different from the helmet finish, which i think they called satin.

I feel like there was something unusual about the helmet itself. It didn’t seem to have the same finish as Minnesota’s, at least to me. Maybe not. I liked their weird 2015-19 helmets though - just not anything else about that identity. 

4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I disagree, I prefer the O/W/O and think it matches the B/W/B and O/B/O stripe schemes a little better.

I see your point I was thinking the stripes look too much chicago bears like...

Is there any way you can do a mockup of the w/o/w striping if you don't mind to see how it looks ? 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

10 minutes ago, 406Cane said:

The brown face masks with those don’t bother me as much as I thought they would. I’d still prefer grey or white, but the brown doesn’t kill it for me. 

Same, I'd like to see white, but if the uni looks similar to that, I'm fine with brown.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Since it definitely looks like they don't have a wordmark or logo anywhere on the new jersey (unless they plopped Brownie or the helmet illustration behind the neck), that raises the question:

Who was the last team to introduce new uniforms that did not have a logo or wordmark anywhere on the jersey?

EDIT: Looks like it might have actually been the Browns in 99. Neat.

EDIT 2: It was actually the Bills with their Navy and nickel nightmare. Thanks to Chawls for catching that one.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, scraw28 said:

I see your point I was thinking the stripes look too much chicago bears like...

Is there any way you can do a mockup of the w/o/w striping if you don't mind to see how it looks ? 

Here ya go:

spacer.png

I don’t know, for some reason the W/O/W stripe just doesn’t look quite right and doesn’t provide the right balance with the rest of the combo IMO. If the brown pants were designed to go with the brown jerseys this stripe pattern would probably work best, but with the white jerseys (the only jerseys the brown pants should ever be paired with) I just really think the O/W/O stripes are better and provide the proper balance between all of the elements. And I like that the orange exterior stripes match the orange exterior stripes on the classic white pants as well, even if in both cases the stripe schemes are swapped from the stripe schemes on the jerseys of the same color.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

Who was the last team to introduce new uniforms that did not have a logo or wordmark anywhere on the jersey?

EDIT: Looks like it might have actually been the Browns in 99. Neat.

What about the 2002 Buffalo Bills?

spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

So I like Paul, but we really need to consider this with a grain of salt after the whole "the Bucs are dropping orange" fiasco.

Yeah, he really missed it there.  Regardless, preparing for this to turn into a thread about him, rather than the Browns leak, like how the first few pages of comments after the Bucs unveiled were as much about him as they were the uniforms.  At least this time he claims to have the (18-month-old) files.

Anyway, I shouldn't, but I actually kinda like the color rush.  They kept a kinda oversized wordmark, but it's not competing for attention with a million other elements.  I like that the top is that plain, and I can deal with - even if I don't love - the solid brown pants in that case.  My only other critique is that they should flip the socks.

Can that PL rule be documented in the rules thread?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the teases are true and Lukas is right (I'd say he's not) why did they keep the brown pants? Even with stripes, the lone jersey they go with is the white, and both orange and white pants look better. The lone reason I can see Brown pants staying is a Colour Rush, but if that's the case and they have no white on them, I hope they wear them only with the CR jersey. They do not work with the white jersey in that mockup. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

18 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Everyone's fave guy Lukas (/s) just dropped what he says are mockups based on the Browns' design as of October 2018. Rounded numbers and brown pants with brown socks (with stripes), plus a complete trash Color Rush look

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IF - and that's a big IF - true, they just need to flip the socks:  brown striped with the brown jersey, and white striped with the white jersey, including when they wear white pants.  

I'd HATE the rounded numbers.  They need to be block, just as they originally were.

I think they keep the current Color Rush as their alternate.  Which would work with the brown pants with o/b/o striping.

If they did update to this new Color Rush, it would be kind of Detroit Lions Thanksgiving-esque.  Would probably be pretty striking on-field.  Stupid to have a wordmark on it though.

Archived