jimsimo

Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

13 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Stripeless pants? I can't imagine.

I was wrong!

Hey oldtownvikes, celebrate, I was wrong! 😁

spacer.png

12 hours ago, simtek34 said:

EDIT: Just saw this Tweet. The hashtag is a good sign. The 🔥 is a bad sign, unless he has the same tastes as us.

Oh no.

1 hour ago, BroncoBuff said:

orange pants work though, definitely.

(but not these)

spacer.png

Oh, no, I do not hate the Cardiac Kids-era orange pants for the Browns; they’re easily my second option behind the white pants. I was just trying to say that if push comes to shove, I’d rather have the pre-2015 set (stripeless brown pants and all) if it means that we at least get full stripes on the white pants than to have stripeless white, orange, and brown pants.

Of course I’d prefer to have striped orange pants over any brown pants, though if all three options have stripes, I like that idea, too.

1 hour ago, BroncoBuff said:

Why are you so worked up about this? 1994 was when the "rule" was opened up, it didn't apply just to the Panthers and Jags and it wasn't changed just for them. Tampa Bay, the 49ers, Chargers, Dolphins, later the Ravens, Titans, and other teams expanded their pallettes too. 

Funny you should post Seahawks and Falcons pics, cause my source - I guess it's not secret - Broncos NFL Properties man Joe Ellis (now team president) and then Broncos GM and NFL front office vet John Beake. I guess that during the previous rounds of expansion in 1967 - (Dolphins, Bengals in AFL, Falcons, Saints in NFL) - one or more teams really wanted a multi-color 60s thing - I think maybe the Saints. So Beake and the league office had to quickly come up with a "rule." The story was told as an anecdote, a funny thing.

So there.

Gonna be honest with you. This story sounds very fake. I'm not saying you're lying, but it seems ridiculous that this was a policy and apparently has remained a secret for nearly 60 years. Why wouldn't they just make it a rule? Why exempt silver? What about the Cardinals uniforms in 1991 with the flag on the sleeve, how does that fit in?

This all screams to me someone telling an embellished story from years ago because its more interesting than a real answer.

5 hours ago, simtek34 said:

The 🔥 is a bad sign, unless he has the same tastes as us.

Players would say the unis are 🔥 whether they trot out perfect 70's replicas or these puppies:EVmJXBiWsAIupyB?format=jpg&name=small

12 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Gonna be honest with you. This story sounds very fake. I'm not saying you're lying, but it seems ridiculous that this was a policy and apparently has remained a secret for nearly 60 years. Why wouldn't they just make it a rule? Why exempt silver? What about the Cardinals uniforms in 1991 with the flag on the sleeve, how does that fit in?

This all screams to me someone telling an embellished story from years ago because its more interesting than a real answer.

Really? I don't know what to say. Why would I or anyone else make this up? Why do the years and designs line up... I think. And BTW, I said it was probably an unwritten rule. They were laughing when they talked about it.

And ferhevvinsake I don't think it was silver that was exempted, my recollection is more like "pale gray," examples were Seattle or NYG. And the state flag is like a logo, not subject to it. Check out the Saints' original uniform proposals ... if it's them, maybe there's some history of a psychedelic like proposal for part of the unis.

Actually, now that I think about it,  I might have filled in a couple parts of this. Still ... I'm sorry I brought it up.

You did start to see more diverse color palettes in the 90's. I never thought of it being a rule but It's not out of the realm, just another way of minimizing cost as minuscule as it sounds. Because like the Jags, Ravens and later Titans you started seeing detailed secondary logos on the sleeves as TV numbers moved to the shoulders and the color palettes of the late 90's / early 00's are so much more expanded as compared to the decade before.

18 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Really? I don't know what to say. Why would I or anyone else make this up? Why do the years and designs line up... I think. And BTW, I said it was probably an unwritten rule. They were laughing when they talked about it.

And ferhevvinsake I don't think it was silver that was exempted, my recollection is more like "pale gray," examples were Seattle or NYG. And the state flag is like a logo, not subject to it. Check out the Saints' original uniform proposals ... if it's them, maybe there's some history of a psychedelic like proposal for part of the unis.

Actually, now that I think about it,  I might have filled in a couple parts of this. Still ... I'm sorry I brought it up.

I'm sorry if my response seemed personal or anything, I honestly think this is actually an interesting conversation, and quite frankly I want to dig deeper because if this were true, it would be big, fascinating news that, at least from what I've seen, previously had never been discussed. Just the fact that this story was told is cool.

In regards to the story, they might not be making anything up as they remember it. I think there's a perfectly plausible way where they told you exactly the story you heard, and did in fact prevent a team from wearing a god awful uniform combination, but didn't necessarily establish a rule. It's also entirely possible they got some details wrong, the brain works like that sometimes. Or it was 100% the truth and just nobody ever knew about it.

When it comes to the years and designs lining up, it's entirely possible it was a coincidence, looking at other leagues and sports, more than two jersey colors really wasn't all that common until the late 80s and early 90s. Sure, there were examples (Canucks, North Stars, Rockies/Scouts, Bucks, Astros), but for the most part, those looks were short term and teams reverted back to more normal looks. Right around 1989 when the Charlotte Hornets showed up, third color usage exploded in all sports.

Again, please don't think this a personal attack against you. The site has had plenty of people in the past who made things up for credibility/trolling and then other people would take it at face value for long stretches (I DO NOT think you're doing that, for the record), so it's always good to vet this sort of thing. Definitely don't let it prevent you from sharing things you know or stories you have heard in the future.

1 minute ago, Claystation360 said:

You did start to see more diverse color palettes in the 90's. I never thought of it being a rule but It's not out of the realm, just another way of minimizing cost as minuscule as it sounds. Because like the Jags, Ravens and later Titans you started seeing detailed secondary logos on the sleeves as TV numbers moved to the shoulders and the color palettes of the late 90's / early 00's are so much more expanded as compared to the decade before.

Thanks, maybe that's it. I think the main problem is I'm trying too hard to be liked here. My whole life I've loved uniforms, logos, designs, rarely found fellow travelers ... sports and art kinda don't mix. But then I run across this place! I finally found my people!!! Problem is, I think my people don't like me.

What a pisser.

spacer.png

I was merely pointing out the Cowboys awful inconsistencies with shades of colors. But FWIW, some quick research found uniforms expanding to tri-colors starting in 1994. A few examples:

1994  49ers added black (thankfully they ditched it)
 1994  Chargers re-added a light blue
 1994  Patriots added silver 
 1995  Jags expanded tri-color 
 1995  Panthers expanded - gray?
 1996  Ravens started with tri-color
 1997  Tampa revamp tri-color

1999  Titans added dark blue

9 minutes ago, MDGP said:

I'm sorry if my response seemed personal or anything, I honestly think this is actually an interesting conversation, and quite frankly I want to dig deeper because if this were true, it would be big, fascinating news that, at least from what I've seen, previously had never been discussed. Just the fact that this story was told is cool.

In regards to the story, they might not be making anything up as they remember it. I think there's a perfectly plausible way where they told you exactly the story you heard, and did in fact prevent a team from wearing a god awful uniform combination, but didn't necessarily establish a rule. It's also entirely possible they got some details wrong, the brain works like that sometimes. Or it was 100% the truth and just nobody ever knew about it.

When it comes to the years and designs lining up, it's entirely possible it was a coincidence, looking at other leagues and sports, more than two jersey colors really wasn't all that common until the late 80s and early 90s. Sure, there were examples (Canucks, North Stars, Rockies/Scouts, Bucks, Astros), but for the most part, those looks were short term and teams reverted back to more normal looks. Right around 1989 when the Charlotte Hornets showed up, third color usage exploded in all sports.

Again, please don't think this a personal attack against you. The site has had plenty of people in the past who made things up for credibility/trolling and then other people would take it at face value for long stretches (I DO NOT think you're doing that, for the record), so it's always good to vet this sort of thing. Definitely don't let it prevent you from sharing things you know or stories you have heard in the future.

Damn, that is one excellent post. You have a gift for expressive empathy.

In retrospect, the bolded part is likely correct. They were laughing about it, mostly focusing on some "crazy new owner."

I shall speak of this no more forever 😁

I can only thank the heavens such a rule did not exist when the Nuggets adopted Skyline Tetris!

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Jeffery said:

Players would say the unis are 🔥 whether they trot out perfect 70's replicas or these puppies:EVmJXBiWsAIupyB?format=jpg&name=small

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, dont care said:

Because you’ve made stuff up before

Okay, I've gotta ask..... ??

6 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

Okay, I've gotta ask..... ??

On 4/5/2020 at 8:17 AM, BroncoBuff said:

We have something of an identity: Team colors are blue and green, lining up with the Seahawks, Mariners and Sounders.

Among others I don’t feel like searching for.

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

Among others I don’t feel like searching for.

No ... I was incorrect, not dishonest! 

And you "don't feel" like searching?Such an accusation should at least have some factual support. 

3 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

No ... I was incorrect, not dishonest! 

And you "don't feel" like searching?Such an accusation should at least have some factual support. 

Drop it...

8 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

orange pants work though, definitely.

(but not these)

spacer.png

Those work. At least for the era they’re from. Assuming 70s? It’s bright and vibrant. What more could you want out of team then?

7 hours ago, Jeffery said:

Players would say the unis are 🔥 whether they trot out perfect 70's replicas or these puppies:

Myles Garrett is probably the most "old school" guy you will find in the NFL. I'd assume if he's happy with them, it's a good sign.