Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s not “proven” that they can’t enforce a rule when they chose not to enforce the rule. 

This is really my whole argument against the idea of a team's uniform requiring an undershirt (and putting sleeve patterns and stripes on that); there is no real reason that the NFL couldn't do it. Heck, there's no reason a team couldn't opt to do it. As long as the league has the will to enforce it, it could be done. I mean, if I were a team owner and that kind of design was chosen as our uniform, my response to players who complained would be, "That's our uniform; you're being paid handsomely to wear it (among other things)."

If there's a rule, or just a will, you can enforce it.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s not “proven” that they can’t enforce a rule when they chose not to enforce the rule. 

But they have been through fines that progressively get more severe To what’s allowed by the CBA but it’s been proven the players don’t care and will continue paying fines until the NFL finally gave up and stopped enforcing it completely.

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

But they have been through fines that progressively get more severe To what’s allowed by the CBA but it’s been proven the players don’t care and will continue paying fines until the NFL finally gave up and stopped enforcing it completely.

And, again, if you wanted to enforce it, you would keep escalating the fines (and penalties). I think if a player was facing losing, oh 1/4 their annual salary or having to wear their socks right (or wear the undershirt that's part of their team's uniform), the decision to follow the rule would become easy. And it doesn't even have to be fines; for example, just inform the head coach that each of his players with incorrect socks is ineligible to play in the game until their uniform conforms with the rules.

It still goes back to the idea that if there were a will by the NFL to enforce the rules; the rules would be followed.

9 hours ago, Jeffery said:

EVmJXBiWsAIupyB?format=jpg&name=small

Welp, I’m not a fan of the orange BROWNS below the neckline or the orange 216 below the number- change those two items to brown and you’ve got a 4 alarm fire emoji though!

Overall, I still like them better than the Falcons’ hot mess. 

16 minutes ago, jws008 said:

And, again, if you wanted to enforce it, you would keep escalating the fines (and penalties). I think if a player was facing losing, oh 1/4 their annual salary or having to wear their socks right (or wear the undershirt that's part of their team's uniform), the decision to follow the rule would become easy. And it doesn't even have to be fines; for example, just inform the head coach that each of his players with incorrect socks is ineligible to play in the game until their uniform conforms with the rules.

It still goes back to the idea that if there were a will by the NFL to enforce the rules; the rules would be followed.

But they have to follow the current rules and CBA, otherwise it will be a fight with the NFLPA and the NFL doesn’t want that over socks, or in your case undershirts, which there currently isn’t a rule for.

Just now, dont care said:

But they have to follow the current rules and CBA, otherwise it will be a fight with the NFLPA and the NFL doesn’t want that over socks, or in your case undershirts, which there currently isn’t a rule for.

And, again, if the NFL had a will to do this, irregardless of whether we're discussing socks or undershirts or chin straps; they'd negotiate such a rule with the NFLPA, and then enforce whatever rule was in place.

2 minutes ago, jws008 said:

And, again, if the NFL had a will to do this, irregardless of whether we're discussing socks or undershirts or chin straps; they'd negotiate such a rule with the NFLPA, and then enforce whatever rule was in place.

But that’s the thing, they have negotiated, the players just do not care. The past CBA passed this year increased the fines for uniform violations by 40%. And while it wasn’t a major issue in the CBA negotiation compared to the other stuff like 17 game regular season and extra playoff seed, but was still a negotiation with everything else.

9 hours ago, BroncoBuff said:

Why are you so worked up about this? 

okay, I just woke up to all this. I feel like I left milk out on the counter over-night and woke up to the aftermath.

First off, I'm definitely not worked up over anything. Like, at all. You just made statement that was pretty big, this whole idea that there was a secret rule nobody knew about against three color teams and of course, my mind went immediately to teams before 94 who clearly had 3 colors. And they were just off the top of my head.  And then when you came back with the bit about gray not counting, it felt like moving the goalposts.

I promise it had nothing to do with me or anybody else not liking you, for some reason. Honestly, your screen name didn't register enough for me to like or dislike you.

42 minutes ago, jws008 said:

This is really my whole argument against the idea of a team's uniform requiring an undershirt (and putting sleeve patterns and stripes on that); there is no real reason that the NFL couldn't do it. Heck, there's no reason a team couldn't opt to do it. As long as the league has the will to enforce it, it could be done. I mean, if I were a team owner and that kind of design was chosen as our uniform, my response to players who complained would be, "That's our uniform; you're being paid handsomely to wear it (among other things)."

If there's a rule, or just a will, you can enforce it.

If feel like the biggest impediment to the idea of team designed undersleeves is the replica jersey market. The NFL makes a lot of money selling jerseys, and the whole idea is to look like your favorite player. To do that they'd have to buy two pieces, which I don't think would fly very well, or replicas would be some hybrid one piece which would kind of wreck the illusion a bit.

12 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I’d argue that Dallas DOES need to change. Or at least adhere to one of the uniform designs

This-

spacer.png

and this-

spacer.png

do not make a good set nor is it “unique”. None of the colors match except for the helmet.

The CR alternate at least makes the whole set visually palatable-

spacer.png

Kill off the normal home whites and upgrade the CR to default homes. I’d also suggest pulling the royal blue from the normal whites and roll it into the normal blues and CR.

Call me crazy, but I love the Cowboys normal white sets.  Give me more seafoam silver!!

Their color rush is also a top 5 set in the league for me 

14 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

If the Browns pull a Buccaneers and end up going back to the same uniforms they claimed were outdated 5 years ago, that is gonna a bit of a letdown.

It's possible to find a middle ground between modernization and tradition, but it appears some teams are simply too lazy or afraid to get creative at all.

When teams DO attempt to “get creative” people complain about it. Examples: the uniforms Cleveland and Tampa Bay are replacing.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Such as?  Who got fined for socks?

Haven't dozens of players complained about being fined for socks?  IIRC, Merton "the neck" Hanks was the 'sock spotter' for a few years, and said that his job was basically to fine people for their socks.  The players just kinda laugh it off though, since it's such a small fine.

If the league was serious about enforcing, they'd negotiate with the players for the right to either increase fines, add suspensions, or just restrict them from the field until they put on a proper uniform.  They've decided that it's not a battle that's high enough on the priority list to worry about, and now here we are.

Just like in baseball, where stirrups and high socks are becoming cool again, the 'old school' look will probably come back to the NFL at some point and we'll see the proper socks.  Ironically, the people wearing the proper socks might get fined since the teams might all be wearing solid color by then.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Jeffery said:

Players would say the unis are 🔥 whether they trot out perfect 70's replicas or these puppies:EVmJXBiWsAIupyB?format=jpg&name=small

This is exactly what I'm talking about those got that drip man! See you can do a modern uniform that looks great that still incorporates the past. 

12 hours ago, CLEstones said:

The teasers really seem to over emphasize the classic uniforms... almost like too much.  Almost like they have something stupid up their sleeve that is going to fall completely flat.  Not saying the entire set will be a failure... but there is SOMETHING happening and I can't put my finger on it.  Also, all the forced player Tweets is getting to be a little much.

Dcjjuct.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Archived