Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

2 hours ago, jws008 said:

This is really my whole argument against the idea of a team's uniform requiring an undershirt (and putting sleeve patterns and stripes on that); there is no real reason that the NFL couldn't do it. Heck, there's no reason a team couldn't opt to do it. As long as the league has the will to enforce it, it could be done. I mean, if I were a team owner and that kind of design was chosen as our uniform, my response to players who complained would be, "That's our uniform; you're being paid handsomely to wear it (among other things)."

If there's a rule, or just a will, you can enforce it.

Some players still wear cotton undershirts. The NFL will regulate color options, but players will wear whatever under garments are comfortable for them. Heck, even college programs won't force players to wear something that's uncomfortable for them, i.e. the Rutgers QB not wearing full length sleeves on their 1869 throwbacks last year. 

7 minutes ago, mafiaman said:

Helmet needs an orange facemask.  

NO WAY!!!! Maybe Cincinnati can try that though. 

7 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Dcjjuct.jpg

I got a good laugh at this one. Might be good for a Christmas Eve/Day game if the NFL decided to copy the NBA.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have a Live Stream up and ready for Noon ET.

The description is a good sign. (Unless it's secretly Nikespeak and they effed it up.)

Uniforms are much more than just a piece of clothing.
They connect us to the team, older players to new players, and generations to each other.
Introducing the Cleveland Browns 2020 uniforms.
To purchase jerseys call 440.824.3427 or visit shop.clevelandbrowns.com.

da0Lbhs.png

A Look At The Cleveland Browns’ Logo History

April 15, 2020 - 14:40 PM

After just five seasons in their current modernized set, the Cleveland Browns are expected to return to a more traditional look when they unveil new uniforms at noon today. With that, we decided to take a look back at the […]

Read More...

36 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Dcjjuct.jpg

No, something like this is TOO over the top.  It's going to be something relatively minor compared to the major elements of the uniform.  THere is just something uneasy.  Like the stripes are going to have dog collars sublimated in them or something.  Its going to be something so stupid.

26 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

No, something like this is TOO over the top.  It's going to be something relatively minor compared to the major elements of the uniform.  THere is just something uneasy.  Like the stripes are going to have dog collars sublimated in them or something.  Its going to be something so stupid.

Honestly, I could see that

30 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

One of us missed the joke and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. B)

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

If feel like the biggest impediment to the idea of team designed undersleeves is the replica jersey market. The NFL makes a lot of money selling jerseys, and the whole idea is to look like your favorite player. To do that they'd have to buy two pieces, which I don't think would fly very well, or replicas would be some hybrid one piece which would kind of wreck the illusion a bit.

Replicas are already drastically different than the on-field look. I’d argue that the undershirt+jersey style would bring the on-field and replica visually closer, not farther apart. Current replicas are essentially already a “hybrid one-piece” version of the undershirt+jersey style.

Nevertheless, it wouldn’t surprise me if a mandatory, league-wide change had to be collectively bargained, so I don’t think that’ll ever happen.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

One of us missed the joke and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. B)

I get it was a joke.  But I was being serious.  After some of these uniforms that Nike has done, something like putting the elf sleeves as the undershirt and putting a brown panel on the bottom of the jersey to create an allusion or something honestly doesn't seem that far fetched.

Just now, CLEstones said:

I get it was a joke.  But I was being serious.  After some of these uniforms that Nike has done, something like putting the elf sleeves as the undershirt and putting a brown panel on the bottom of the jersey to create an allusion or something honestly doesn't seem that far fetched.

Good point. 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, jws008 said:

And, again, if you wanted to enforce it, you would keep escalating the fines (and penalties). I think if a player was facing losing, oh 1/4 their annual salary or having to wear their socks right (or wear the undershirt that's part of their team's uniform), the decision to follow the rule would become easy. And it doesn't even have to be fines; for example, just inform the head coach that each of his players with incorrect socks is ineligible to play in the game until their uniform conforms with the rules.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Haven't dozens of players complained about being fined for socks?  IIRC, Merton "the neck" Hanks was the 'sock spotter' for a few years, and said that his job was basically to fine people for their socks.  The players just kinda laugh it off though, since it's such a small fine.

If the league was serious about enforcing, they'd negotiate with the players for the right to either increase fines, add suspensions, or just restrict them from the field until they put on a proper uniform.  They've decided that it's not a battle that's high enough on the priority list to worry about, and now here we are.

Here's where a smarter man would leave it alone. But I'm not a smarter man, so here we go again...

There are - or were until at least the late 90s - EXTENSIVE rules governing players' dress and presentation onfield and on the sidelines. Every single locker room has these rules posted with illustrations. And they are intrusively specific. For example (paraphrasing):

"Socks must cover this (illustration) portion of your calf. White socks must extend up from each shoe at least 5 inches, and there the colored portion of the sock must continue up to the pants. No more than 2 inches of bare leg may show between sock and pants."

And many other such rules. They are especially strict about jerseys remaining tucked in.  Players may not take any item of any kind with them out of the locker room and into the playing area that is not provided by team. Shoes must be approved prior to game day.

The league pays guys to walk the sidelines and jot down violations. That week warning letters are sent to violators, and there is a fine schedule for repeat offenders. The jersey thing is the big one. FYI: If you bought a "game worn" jersey, it's probably not. Because of the space needed for shoulder pads, an authentic game jersey worn without pads would have numerals that start at you naval. 

Okay, let's form an orderly line for those who wish to call me a liar ... 

wS7MJ6T.png

Archived