jimsimo

Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

48 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

spacer.png

This orange is better, otherwise they look brilliant.

Very nice, glad to see them keep it simple.  IMO the worst part is the lack of white on the brown pants.  I was never a fan of their color rush but at least it had the two orange stripes... now that's worse.  But to be honest, the longer I stare at them the more the striping patterns bother me.    

ysEc3rK.png-the red box is as-is

-the yellow box uses the jersey/sock striping on the pants

-the green box uses "white on orange on brown" more often

-the blue box uses "white on brown on orange" which matches helmet (ala the Florida Gators)

I don't think I fall into the "all stripes must always match", but none of these feel quite right to me.

It's not all good news. The designers and fans of the unis with the words 'Cleveland' and 'Browns' stitched on are scrambling to keep the design alive. Apparently they're looking to trade up to draft Ezra Cleveland of Boise State next week, just to keep it going. Some folks just can't let go.

1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Plot twist. He's been a fan since '46 and he thinks colored pants are sacrilege for the browns. "Otto Graham never wore any damn orange pants"

So we have a member here who is like 112 years old? Cool. Now @oldschoolvikings and I can call someone old. 

30 minutes ago, BroncoBuff said:

It's not all good news. The designers and fans of the unis with the words 'Cleveland' and 'Browns' stitched on are scrambling to keep the design alive. Apparently they're looking to trade up to draft Ezra Cleveland of Boise State next week, just to keep it going. Some folks just can't let go.

That sure was a long way to go for a joke that didn't work at any level. No offense. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I absolutely hate the O/B/O stripes on the white pants.. it was a mistake initially, and it's a mistake still.. every other uniform elements has brown on the outside and/or orange in the middle.. I know it's tradition, but it's a bad one..

Otherwise, fantastic upgrade!

I second that.

1 hour ago, DouglasQuaid said:

Besides the horrible color rush uniform, the only thing that really bugs me is that the sleeve stripes are now screen printed. The previous version of the stripes looked way more professional:

spacer.png

When Nike goes to the rush template fabric....hopefully they can incorporate the knit fabric for the stripes 

7 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

I second that.

The obo stripes is what the look unique 

On 4/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, IceCap said:

I'm imagining Nike designers in tears as they pieced Tampa and Cleveland's looks together 😛

We've gotten enough of Nike's work now to see a pattern and their report card is....it's not great. Let's take a look 

They took over outfitting the league in 2012. In that time 10 teams have undergone what I would call a full uniform overhaul. Those teams are the Titans, Buccaneers, Seahawks, Jets, Vikings, Dolphins, Jaguars, Lions, Browns, and Falcons. The Rams, Patriots, and Chargers remains to be seen so we'll wait to do this with them. They're also responsible for Color Rush, the relaxing of sock standards, unnecessary moves like the Colts black swoosh, the 49ers sleeve stripes, the near extinction of dazzle fabric, and the seemingly endless number of alternate pant options teams have now, but I'm just gonna focus on the full overhauls. 

I'm going to separate these into 5 categories:

1. Better

2. Lateral Move

3. Downgrade, But I'm Not Like Gonna Write the Team A letter About It 

4. What The F*** Is Wrong With Your Eyes and Why Would You Do This To The Fans?
5. We'll See But Don't Have High Hopes

Better

Vikings. These have a plan, a structure, they have a point of view and a story they're telling. They take what was a tacky and gaudy color scheme under the late Reebok uniforms and scheme it in such a way that they wearer still manages to appear serious. Hard to do in purple pants. That this is the best they've come up with is not a good thing.  

Lions. I don't really have much of an opinion on their current uniforms, but they look like a car and they removed the black from the uniforms so it's legally better than what they had. The light blue directly on gray with no white to buffer it and the two different grays is a little muddy, and that all gray alternate is dreadful, but overall it's better than what they were wearing. 

Lateral Move

Jets. Lateral move because, as I explained in the Jets thread on this very website, their uniforms had deteriorated thanks to bad templates on top of bad templates - like how the copy of a copy of a copy gets worse over time. We know how it could look, but they refused to address the obvious template issues and fix that and the color issues that made their green look like brown mud in some light. But while the new look clears up both of those issues, it is just essentially the 2019 version of the 1997 uniforms that the previous uniforms were replacing. Their green is really nice looking and the helmets are pretty sharp, but they look like a MAC school in a Tuesday night game when all they had to do was rebuild the Namath uniforms in a template that actually works on modern cuts. 

Downgrade, But I'm Not Like Gonna Write the Team A letter About It 

Seahawks. They look like a create a team option on a video game. They're still using the pattern inside the numbers thing that is already passe and the stripes on the jersey and the stripe on the pants feel like they were designed by two different teams. The uniforms they replaced were already a little stale, but these aren't that much worse. I do like how they finally fixed the bird on the helmet, but they ruined it with the goofy thing on the front of the lids. 

Dolphins*. They still look like the Dolphins in a movie that couldn't get NFL licensing so the announcers are very careful to refer to them strictly as "Miami". The move to remove the blue was a step in the right direction, but so long as they don't have the classic Dolphins stripe on the helmet they will never look like the Dolphins. They'd be wise to follow Tampa and Cleveland's step and use an updated version of their old uniforms like literally everyone wants. 

Falcons. Wasn't in love with the Vick uniforms, but these are just a generically modern set with a dumb alternate. 

What The F*** Is Wrong With Your Eyes and Why Would You Do This To The Fans?

Buccaneers*, Jaguars*, Browns*, Titans

Enough's been said about these 4 teams. 3 of them wore uniforms that were so bad, so widely jeered, so stupidly awful the players complained that they felt silly in them. The Bucs, it's actually been reported, gave the Browns advice on how to handle the backlash to their new stupid looking uniforms. The Bucs, Browns, and to a lesser extent the Jags, all went back to the uniforms they had before them. It's kind of incredible. 

The Titans look ridiculous, but they haven’t changed yet because they’re still in the five year window. They with less of a strong uniform history may not be so quick to move on from their silly super-hero costumes.

We'll See But Don't Have High Hopes

Rams, Chargers, Patriots

So out of 10 that's 2 that actually look better, 1 laterall move, 3 that look worse, and 4 that :censored:ed up their uniforms so bad 3 of them said "we listened to you last time and you blew it. Just give us our old uniforms." When the Vikings, Lions, and "Give Us What We Had Before" is your best work over an 8 year stretch, that's not a great a shooting percentage. 

*teams who went through two uniform overhauls with Nike

8 minutes ago, Sport said:

We've gotten enough of Nike's work now to see a pattern and their report card is....it's not great. Let's take a look 

(--- snipped for space, but pretty much spot on----)

So out of 10 that's 2 that actually look better, 1 laterall move, 3 that look worse, and 4 that :censored:ed up their uniforms so bad 3 of them said "we listened to you last time and you blew it. Just give us our old uniforms." When the Vikings, Lions, and "Give Us What We Had Before" is your best work over an 8 year stretch, that's not a great a shooting percentage. 

I'd find it pretty much impossible to argue with this.  It's a pretty concise and thorough run down of the last decade of NFL changes.  The hard part going forward is the number of people I suspect will be putting these new Browns and Buccaneers uniform into Nike's "win" column. It's like if you hired someone to remodel your bathroom and they instead burned down your house.  After you forced them to rebuild it, they really shouldn't get much credit for how nice it looks.

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

That wasn’t really experimenting. It was technically a throwback to 1969

i am aware it was a throwback i was just saying that i hope the browns change up their facemasks 

2 hours ago, Sport said:

05-Wk2-Browns-Packers-062.jpgcleveland-browns-wide-receiver-dennis-no

they tried BOB pants stripe and 100/100 people agreed that it looked worse. Not one person preferred it to OBO and we all agreed to stop suggesting it. 

I'm kidding, but it makes the helmet stick out too much. Sometimes the mathematically right call isn't the right call. 

I do like that it looks like they've skinnied up the pants stripe compared to the last time they wore it

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

I could also be wrong about that. 

BOB stripes look better on the home jerseys

You're both wrong and I explained why using math, surveys, and my heavily weighted opinion. We've all agreed to stop suggesting BOB stripes for them. 

---------------------------------

Not sure if anybody noted this, but I'm not going to reread 1550940 pages of this nonsense, and I'm almost certain I called this very thing happening back in 2015 when the Browns first switched to what would become the 1-31 uniforms - this isn't even the first time they've replaced some foolish attempt at modernizing their uniforms with their old uniforms as soon as they were allowed. This has all happened before. Almost creepily so. It happened in 1985. In 1984 they tried to update their uniforms to something a little more current. They even used orange numbers on the brown jerseys (in preseason before cooler heads prevailed), BOB stripes on the pants, and orange socks on the road. 

quarterback-paul-mcdonald-of-the-clevelapaul-mcdonald-of-the-cleveland-browns-ci

It's almost uncanny how much those resemble the uniforms they went to in 2015. They literally repeated history and made the 2015 version of the 1984 uniforms with all the same mistakes (along with a dozen others). I couldn't believe it 5 years ago. I kind of still can't. 

And now, as soon as they're allowed, they're going back to the traditionally Cleveland Browns look (more or less), just like they did in 1985, which was as soon as they were allowed to back then. It's wild. 

I’m pleasantly surprised. I’m usually super negative. 

I Love the shelve striping matching with the socks

Have they ever had B/W/B pant stripes on white pants?

no true complaints. But like the others. The mono leotard look has to go. The side stripes of their prior CR set was decent. And the orange socks were a nice color push. 

overall this makes me happy. 

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd find it pretty much impossible to argue with this.  It's a pretty concise and thorough run down of the last decade of NFL changes.  The hard part going forward is the number of people I suspect will be putting these new Browns and Buccaneers uniform into Nike's "win" column. It's like if you hired someone to remodel your bathroom and they instead burned down your house.  After you forced them to rebuild it, they really shouldn't get much credit for how nice it looks.

I can argue with that. The Seahawks uniforms are easily the best in the nfl hands down. Everything just clicks so well. The titans aren’t half bad either thought their baby blue looks better 

I think wild uniforms work for some teams while others like the browns the more plain it is the more fitting it is

1 minute ago, Reyes47 said:

The Seahawks uniforms are easily the best in the nfl hands down. Everything just clicks so well. The titans aren’t half bad either.

Ooof.

The Color Rush uniform is kind of genius. The helmet stands out. That's perfect for the team, it's what their identity is, the helmet. It shouldn't work but it does.

20 minutes ago, Reyes47 said:

The Seahawks uniforms are easily the best in the nfl hands down.

Where are you buying your weed and just how strong is that :censored:? Asking for a friend...

12 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

The Color Rush uniform is kind of genius.

Apparently, you already know where Reyes47 is buying his weed. 😎