Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

the Browns look so good this season, they should never go away from this. I think I saw someone post about the Browns should always look like an old school franchise, could not agree more. I agree with the orange pants should only be worn a few times a year. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every so often in the world of sports branding or designing an organization gets it right... And the way you know it, the eyeball test, you just look at it and its just aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I feel like the Browns have accomplished that this year, definitely a top ten look in the NFL... I felt that same thing when I saw the Padres wearing  the new uniforms the first time ....  that's how the Padres should look, and this is how the Browns should look in my opinion...spacer.pngspacer.png

8 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

When it comes to their possible combos, I'd break it down like this:

Brown over Orange - 4 home games

Brown over White - 4 home games

White over Orange - 2 road games

White over White - 3 road games

White over Brown - 3 road games

Start there, then make small adjustments based on the schedule and what looks best in contrast with the opponent. The goal should be the wear the white and orange pants an equal number of times at home and to have white be the primary road option, then brown, then orange. 

Gotta work in some white over white at home. 

HOME

White over white: 1

Brown over white: 4

Brown over orange: 3 (AFC North games)

AWAY

White over white: 5

White over orange: 3 (AFC North games)

Color Rush, brown pants need not apply. If they’re forced to wear brown jerseys on the road, white pants unless it’s a divisional game. 

I'm super conflicted on the orange pants. They look so much better than the white pants. But the white pants match the brown jersey better, but not the helmet. The orange pants match the helmet, but not the jersey. If the colors on the home jersey striping was switched, and orange was the secondary color, then it'd be perfect. There's not enough orange on the home jersey to match the orange pants, but there's not enough brown on the white pants to match either. It's still the best the Browns have looked, and a top-10 set in the league, but some details bother me here.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

16 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Gotta work in some white over white at home. 

HOME

White over white: 1

Brown over white: 4

Brown over orange: 3 (AFC North games)

AWAY

White over white: 5

White over orange: 3 (AFC North games)

Color Rush, brown pants need not apply. If they’re forced to wear brown jerseys on the road, white pants unless it’s a divisional game. 

So at best they wear their best look 9 times in a season of 16 games (assuming their best look is the one you describe as being worn 4 times at home and 5 on the road).

I'll never understand that line of thinking.

To your SPECIFIC schedule, if their best look is the one that they wear against their division, why isn't that worn more? On the other hand, if the look worn against their division isn't their best look, why are they wearing it?

It's where I sit.

22 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

the Browns look so good this season, they should never go away from this. I think I saw someone post about the Browns should always look like an old school franchise, could not agree more. I agree with the orange pants should only be worn a few times a year. 

They should wear the orange pants every time they consider wearing last year's color rush brown pants. They look great with the brown and white jersey. Best uni option. 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:28 AM, BJ Sands said:

The orange pants are lovely but can’t be worn every game. They’re not the traditional look, and I think the novelty would wear off.

Yet because they should be in the rotation as an alternate, what should be the proper protocol? Maybe all divisional and playoff games? Perhaps prime-time games? 

(They should throw the striped brown pants into the nearest dumpster. Weakest non-CR part of the excellent redesign.)

Hhighly concur on the old CR brown pants. No reason for them now. I like the orange pants under the lights at night games. 

I don't know. I actually like how the new brown pants look with the white jersey. 

iy2hnqz6fgefy3xqwkua.jpg

Plain brown pants look out of place and orange-white-orange striping never looked right. The two orange stripes match the shoulder/sock stripes nicely. I actually wish they'd use them with the new CR jersey. Might make that set a little less boring.

Having said that, they should never be worn with the primary brown jersey and the orange pants have always been my favorites. I won't mind white over brown a few times a season.

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

The worst part about the Browns uniforms is the number 7. It looks like doo doo.

EiPDWviWsAAAICI?format=jpg&name=medium

Agreed.  It looks ridiculous to have half of a serif on the 7 when other numbers have full serifs (see 1 and 4).

The 7 sort of looks a number with a straight vertical stroke that has been knocked off balance and is leaning to the right.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 9/21/2020 at 7:26 AM, Old School Fool said:

The worst part about the Browns uniforms is the number 7. It looks like doo doo.

EiPDWviWsAAAICI?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, it's pretty stupid.

Either create a truly custom font or just use traditional block.  Halfway measures, trying to be all things at once, are usually doomed to fail.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The 4 is all angles (no top-side curves) and has the "double-serif" at the base. The 7 could have easily been the same way. 

yes, except that they were looking for ways to make the 7 "quirky".  Which is why it's a bad number font.

Can one of our pros explain why something as ridiculous as that 7 makes it all the way to the final product?  I really can't think of any justification for it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Can one of our pros explain why something as ridiculous as that 7 makes it all the way to the final product?  I really can't think of any justification for it.

The reasoning is that if they went back to a standard block it would be a complete reversion to the prior jersey which nike did not have a hand in designing. Without adding a completely unnecessary custom font, it would be a complete admission that not only did nike oversee one of the worst designs in league history, but they were not able to add anything of value to the fix. If you look at nike designs over time, without fail they have to add some small element to a design that is essentially a throwback because nike.

55 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The reasoning is that if they went back to a standard block it would be a complete reversion to the prior jersey which nike did not have a hand in designing. Without adding a completely unnecessary custom font, it would be a complete admission that not only did nike oversee one of the worst designs in league history, but they were not able to add anything of value to the fix. If you look at nike designs over time, without fail they have to add some small element to a design that is essentially a throwback because nike.

The new font is already custom based on the rounded outer corners juxtaposed with the squared  inner corners... The one legged 7 is just a dopey add on.

Archived