Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, guest23 said:

The reasoning is that if they went back to a standard block it would be a complete reversion to the prior jersey which nike did not have a hand in designing. Without adding a completely unnecessary custom font, it would be a complete admission that not only did nike oversee one of the worst designs in league history, but they were not able to add anything of value to the fix. If you look at nike designs over time, without fail they have to add some small element to a design that is essentially a throwback because nike.

But that 7.

The 1 and 4 are pretty standard block fonts.  Not sure why the 7 shouldn't be too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

But that 7.

The 1 and 4 are pretty standard block fonts.  Not sure why the 7 shouldn't be too.

The lack of a serif of the left side of the 7 represents the browns unending downward slide into obscurity since the infamous Earnest Byner fumble in the afc championship game.

17 minutes ago, guest23 said:

The lack of a serif of the left side of the 7 represents the browns unending downward slide into obscurity since the infamous Earnest Byner fumble in the afc championship game.

I thought you were going to give me Nikespeak like "the serif on the right represents the proud past of the Browns franchise, while the serifless left side represents the blue-collar no-nonsense mentality of the city of Cleveland."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, BBTV said:

Can one of our pros explain why something as ridiculous as that 7 makes it all the way to the final product?  I really can't think of any justification for it.

When it comes to custom number sets, you’re typically looking at one person’s interpretation of a given idea, and that interpretation is probably one of many others that were created. I think this branding was done by Michael Irwin, but it’s possible the numbers were done by the uniform designers and just derived from the branding. Either way, he would know and be able to answer your questions. Someone had to justify unconventional details to an art director and team officials.

Regarding the 7 itself, I love it, but I’m not convinced it’s the best fit with the full set. You can see the influence of more calligraphic style numbers in the asymmetrical serif:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

When it comes to custom number sets, you’re typically looking at one person’s interpretation of a given idea, and that interpretation is probably one of many others that were created. I think this branding was done by Michael Irwin, but it’s possible the numbers were done by the uniform designers and just derived from the branding. Either way, he would know and be able to answer your questions. Someone had to justify unconventional details to an art director and team officials.

Regarding the 7 itself, I love it, but I’m not convinced it’s the best fit with the full set. You can see the influence of more calligraphic style numbers in the asymmetrical serif:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't see any calligraphic influence on that 7.  In the examples you posted, only the bottom "1" even comes close.

I checked out that designer's site, and the interesting thing is that the numbers in the typeface don't have serifs. Maybe these numbers were based just off of the wordmark font and have no relation to the ones on the uniform, but I think that these would have made way more sense to go with.

browns_regular.jpg?format=1500w

It seems pretty obvious to me that the point of the typeface was to appear block at first site, only to reveal the details of the rounded corners upon further inspection (the exact opposite of that works too.)  The "quirk" in the 7 is so glaring and obvious that it would seem to run counter to the idea of the rest of it.  I get that you say you love it, and that's fine - that's subjective. 

I'd argue that it's objectively wrong when seen in context with the rest of the set.  There's "rules" that you can tell he established and followed for the rest of the letters/numbers, but the jersey-7 doesn't fit with any of them.  It should have been treated more like the 1 and 4 were.

I've had the same thought, but it requires a lot of modification to beef up those thinner parts, and once you get carried away with that, it stops reading as blackletter and may as well be the dopey '90s font they still use today. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The 7’s half-serifs are the worst of the bunch, but I like the idea of rounding out all of the outside corners of the 2s, 5s, 6s, and 9s—while keeping the insides square (like on the 0s and 8s)—the more I think of it. It brings consistency to the numerals while not straying too far from a traditional number font.

The 1s and 4s are fine—adding a full bottom serif on the 7s would fit right in with the rest of the number set.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

I've had the same thought, but it requires a lot of modification to beef up those thinner parts, and once you get carried away with that, it stops reading as blackletter and may as well be the dopey '90s font they still use today. 

Last year when Earl Thomas became a Raven, Madden 20 had him on a load screen in a Ravens jersey, but with (what appears to be) Seattle number font. It didn’t look half bad either

spacer.png

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Last year when Earl Thomas became a Raven, Madden 20 had him on a load screen in a Ravens jersey, but with (what appears to be) Seattle number font. It didn’t look half bad either

spacer.png

That’s because it was Seattle’s font. They photoshopped all the people who changed teams in the offseason but didn’t bother to change the number fonts. OBJ was another one who was wearing giants numbers on a Cleveland jersey

• 2 weeks later...

Archived