Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

11 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is it me, or does Paul Lukas completely mis-summarize what's going on? 2018 tweaks seem like a different change than the 2020 redesign.

I originally thought the same thing, but the quoted part doesn’t make sense since the jersey change would have needed to have been communicated a while ago, not fewer than 4 months from training camp, so it’s not unreasonable to think they’re talking about 20 and just didn’t separate it from the statement about 18. Either way, either they worded poorly and he’s interpreting correct, or they’re accurate and he just missed the point. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I originally thought the same thing, but the quoted part doesn’t make sense since the jersey change would have needed to have been communicated a while ago, not fewer than 4 months from training camp, so it’s not unreasonable to think they’re talking about 20 and just didn’t separate it from the statement about 18. Either way, either they worded poorly and he’s interpreting correct, or they’re accurate and he just missed the point. 

You're absolutely right. The quoted part is worded really oddly, with two possible ways to read it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'd say these are the worst design elements of the Browns redesign, in order of awfulness....

1. Shadows on numbers/Orange numbers

2. Wearing all-white every week

3. No real logo

4. Stripes that wrap around to front of jersey

5. Browns wordmark on pants

6. Contrasting stitching

7. No stripes on socks

8. Giant Cleveland wordmark

9. Number font

10. Old jersey template

2,3,5,7, and 9 should be able to change before 2020 based on the current NFL rules. 

Basically everything they did during the redesign was a bad choice. Aside from bringing back orange jerseys and pants, which aren't even worn anymore. I don't know who's to blame more Nike or the Browns, but it all seems to be thrown together just to be different. Nobody bothering to think if it actually looked good.

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'd say these are the worst design elements of the Browns redesign, in order of awfulness....

7. No stripes on socks

10. Old jersey template

2) That's a Browns tradition that should remain. same for Number 3.

5) The pants should have been tossed the minute that they saw the light of day. Just extend that stripe all the way down the leg. You could even keep that weird break that happens on the front of the jerseys.

7) Unfortunately that's every single football team in every league. No one believes in socks being specific to each uniform anymore. 

10) The only reason they kept the old template was that the stitching is in orange or brown depending on the jersey. I think it's so hard to see that switching over to the new template should trump an original design element.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

3. No real logo

6. Contrasting stitching

7. No stripes on socks

9. Number font

10. Old jersey template

2,3,5,7, and 9 should be able to change before 2020 based on the current NFL rules. 

Basically everything they did during the redesign was a bad choice. Aside from bringing back orange jerseys and pants, which aren't even worn anymore. I don't know who's to blame more Nike or the Browns, but it all seems to be thrown together just to be different. Nobody bothering to think if it actually looked good.

So basically the whole uniform?

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

This really shouldn’t be hard. The Browns have worn the same jersey top style for almost their entire existence — go back to it, maybe freshen it up and streamline it for the 21st century if you want. Get a pair of white and a pair of orange pants; no brown. Get striped socks back. Flip the facemask back to white or grey, or even keep it brown if you want. Update the Brownie the Elf logo, or failing that, go for a shield/“C”-based design you can own, and rock a script wordmark like they had in the end zones this year (and in the ’80s).

It wasn’t broken in the first place — nobody’ll be upset if you just go back to what you wore for the better part of 70 years.

6fQjS3M.png

On 3/28/2018 at 4:53 PM, Esco said:

Browns need a complete overhaul with everything.

And the sad thing is the prior set never needed an overhaul in the first place.  The only thing I'd change on the old set would be to add striping to the brown pants.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:54 PM, crashcarson15 said:

This really shouldn’t be hard. The Browns have worn the same jersey top style for almost their entire existence — go back to it, maybe freshen it up and streamline it for the 21st century if you want. Get a pair of white and a pair of orange pants; no brown. Get striped socks back. Flip the facemask back to white or grey, or even keep it brown if you want. Update the Brownie the Elf logo, or failing that, go for a shield/“C”-based design you can own, and rock a script wordmark like they had in the end zones this year (and in the ’80s).

It wasn’t broken in the first place — nobody’ll be upset if you just go back to what you wore for the better part of 70 years.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.....it was a mistake back in 2015

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

On 3/31/2018 at 5:59 PM, mjd77 said:

And the sad thing is the prior set never needed an overhaul in the first place.  The only thing I'd change on the old set would be to add striping to eliminate the brown pants.

I agree, but with the edits I made.  :)

On 3/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, VDizzle12 said:

3. No real logo

6. Contrasting stitching

7. No stripes on socks

9. Number font

10. Old jersey template

Well, other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?  :lol:

They’re not changing for ‘18, despite what any unofficial claims in articles state. Those changes would have needed to have been in a while ago, even on a tight schedule. They’re significant enough to require a restocking of jerseys at retail, and that can’t happen if they’re just talking about it now. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/28/2018 at 9:56 AM, VDizzle12 said:

3. No real logo

6. Contrasting stitching

7. No stripes on socks

9. Number font

10. Old jersey template

You missed the carbon fiber pattern in the helmet stripes.

cleveland-browns-3317-usnews-getty-ftr_1

bSLCtu2.png

Archived