Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They’re not changing for ‘18, despite what any unofficial claims in articles state. Those changes would have needed to have been in a while ago, even on a tight schedule. They’re significant enough to require a restocking of jerseys at retail, and that can’t happen if they’re just talking about it now. 

But the pants could definitely be changed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the jerseys the only thing part of the 5-year rule? Meaning helmets, pants and socks can change whenever teams want? The Rams changes seemed to be made on the fly after fan voting online. I'm sure the Browns could make changes whenever they wanted, but I'd guess they are too lazy and would rather just wait and do it all at once.

21 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

You missed the carbon fiber pattern in the helmet stripes.

cleveland-browns-3317-usnews-getty-ftr_1

Yeah, another example of making a random change just to be different. Doesn't really have any connection to the rest of the uniform or team. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they really want to fix this entire mess of this that and the other, just retire the name and rebrand the team. What this team has been since they came back is nothing short than an embarrassment to what the historical name of the Cleveland Browns has been. They are the laughing stock of the entire league and if you rebrand, you let the name be and can start over and if you are horrible then you're horrible on that name. If you're good (by some miracle) you're good on that name. 

While I love the Browns, I personally, do not feel the "new uniforms" were as horrible as some make them seem. Yes there are some things I would definitely change, ie the Browns down the pants, probably not have the stripes wrap, etc. I just hope they do the team justice and not butcher it further.

2 hours ago, JoshMcC1982 said:

If they really want to fix this entire mess of this that and the other, just retire the name and rebrand the team. What this team has been since they came back is nothing short than an embarrassment to what the historical name of the Cleveland Browns has been. They are the laughing stock of the entire league and if you rebrand, you let the name be and can start over and if you are horrible then you're horrible on that name. If you're good (by some miracle) you're good on that name. 

While I love the Browns, I personally, do not feel the "new uniforms" were as horrible as some make them seem. Yes there are some things I would definitely change, ie the Browns down the pants, probably not have the stripes wrap, etc. I just hope they do the team justice and not butcher it further.

I always thought they should have retired it in '96 when they left and came back as the Cleveland Bulldogs. They could have still used the same colors, but branded themselves better.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

I always thought they should have retired it in '96 when they left and came back as the Cleveland Bulldogs. They could have still used the same colors, but branded themselves better.

AMEN! They could have used the same colors and not been locked in with all the previous heritage that the Browns had. Much like the Oilers did and since the team has been atrocious since returning it would have been on that name and not have tainted the Browns name as a whole!

2 hours ago, JoshMcC1982 said:

AMEN! They could have used the same colors and not been locked in with all the previous heritage that the Browns had. Much like the Oilers did and since the team has been atrocious since returning it would have been on that name and not have tainted the Browns name as a whole!

If the Packers weren't irrevocably tainted by the 1950s, 1970s or 80s, then the Browns legacy can survive this team.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

If the Packers weren't irrevocably tainted by the 1950s, 1970s or 80s, then the Browns legacy can survive this team.

But there are key differences. Those Packers had glory days within recent memory and a “championship legacy” that wasn’t fifty plus years in the past. They didn’t move to a new city, only to be “reborn” as an expansion team that has only one playoff appearance. The Packers just fell into irrelevance, while the Browns became relevant for their consistent ineptitude. 

The Browns name has lost that connection to their glorious past. We, and the general public, don’t think about undefeated seasons, AAFC titles, pre-Super Bowl championships, the Cardiac Kids, or the mid-‘80s to mid-‘90s run of contention. Instead? We see “factory of sadness,” the QB jersey with over 20 names, one win in two calendar years, etc. Those two decades of consistent failure (not just mediocrity) are hard to shake. The people of Cleveland fought hard to keep the Browns name and history, only to see an impotent expansion team sully it. 

It’s time to see the franchise for what it is: a pale imitation of the original that doesn’t deserve the name or the records.

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s time to see the franchise for what it is: a pale imitation of the original that doesn’t deserve the name or the records.

And here again, I hearken back to the Packers.  There have been decades were we all said that about my club as well.  Fortunately nobody took us seriously then, either.  :P 

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But there are key differences. Those Packers had glory days within recent memory and a “championship legacy” that wasn’t fifty plus years in the past. They didn’t move to a new city, only to be “reborn” as an expansion team that has only one playoff appearance. The Packers just fell into irrelevance, while the Browns became relevant for their consistent ineptitude. 

The Browns name has lost that connection to their glorious past. We, and the general public, don’t think about undefeated seasons, AAFC titles, pre-Super Bowl championships, the Cardiac Kids, or the mid-‘80s to mid-‘90s run of contention. Instead? We see “factory of sadness,” the QB jersey with over 20 names, one win in two calendar years, etc. Those two decades of consistent failure (not just mediocrity) are hard to shake. The people of Cleveland fought hard to keep the Browns name and history, only to see an impotent expansion team sully it. 

I never thought of of it this way until the city finally tasted the championship juice, but all those things you mentioned that Cleveland is known for? That’s exactly how we like it. The success is so much sweeter when you expect failure. Teams that are consistently good suck the fun and magic out of the success. 2001 Patriots: heartwarming story! 2016 Patriots: just another notch on the giant corporate sports belt.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This happens to every sports team that has a history. Look at DC United. Even though their history is pretty short, they had 4 MLS championships, won CONCACAF Champions Cup, now Champions League and were considered the cornerstone franchise of the league. Does everyone remember how little people thought of the Yankees in the late 80's and early 90's because the only thing they led the league in was spending on bad players? Heck the Cubs were the first team to actually embrace the fact that they knew that something was going to happen that would absolutely screw up their season. The current uniform reminds me of the adage, "If you look good, you'll feel good and you'll play good". The current uniform doesn't look good, the organization hasn't made good decisions and they definitely haven't played nearly as well as they should have the last few years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

This happens to every sports team that has a history. Look at DC United. Even though their history is pretty short, they had 4 MLS championships, won CONCACAF Champions Cup, now Champions League and were considered the cornerstone franchise of the league. Does everyone remember how little people thought of the Yankees in the late 80's and early 90's because the only thing they led the league in was spending on bad players?

That's a great point - I can remember when all the tourists and bandwaggoners were walking around in Mets caps.  Things have changed.  :D 

11 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Teams that are consistently good suck the fun and magic out of the success. 2001 Patriots: heartwarming story! 2016 Patriots: just another notch on the giant corporate sports belt.

I absolutely agree with this. I don't mind successful teams but once it becomes Patriots or Bulls tier, it starts to get a little weird. I love seeing those teams from a performance perspective but when it becomes "just another day at the office" it really sucks.

bSLCtu2.png

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The current uniform reminds me of the adage, "If you look good, you'll feel good and you'll play good". The current uniform doesn't look good, the organization hasn't made good decisions and they definitely haven't played nearly as well as they should have the last few years. 

To be fair, these same exact statements were all true when they were still wearing the old uniforms.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived