Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

Just now, daveindc said:

They should. Those old style helmet stripes add absolutely nothing to this set. Go with the full clean look and forget about the pointless stripes.

Did stripes kill your family?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, daveindc said:

lol. Does the Browns helmet on this set look better without those stripes or not? Tell the truth!

It looks better with the stripes.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

14 minutes ago, daveindc said:

lol. Does the Browns helmet on this set look better without those stripes or not? Tell the truth!

7 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Looks better with stripes.

Looks A LOT better with stripes.

16 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Looks better with stripes.

8 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Looks A LOT better with stripes.

Well guys, we're going to have to agree to disagree.  That helmet looks immensely better with that look, imo. Of course if and when they go back towards their classic look, the traditional helmet would look better with it. That's all I'm saying.

8 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Well guys, we're going to have to agree to disagree.  That helmet looks immensely better with that look, imo. Of course if and when they go back towards their classic look, the traditional helmet would look better with it. That's all I'm saying.

Why does it look better?

Literally every other piece of equipments has the stripe. Consistency looks good over randomly removing a piece of the most iconic part of your brand for no reason

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

45 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

Why does it look better?

Literally every other piece of equipments has the stripe. Consistency looks good over randomly removing a piece of the most iconic part of your brand for no reason

"Literally every other piece of equipments has the stripe", as in the jersey and half of the pants legs? That doesn't automatically mean the helmet needs one down the middle. It's just a smoother look to me. Just my opinion.

The thing here is that stripes are a defining feature of the Cleveland Browns and have been since 1960. There's no reason to mess with it. Just because you can remove stripes from a helmet doesn't mean it will work. Look at the Redskins throwback helmet, all they did was remove the stripes and it looks stupid, plus it's pointless to wear a 1940's Throwback and keep the modern logo on there, just have it logoless if you're really gonna do that.

Washington-Redskins-Throwback-Uniform-20

bSLCtu2.png

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The thing here is that stripes are a defining feature of the Cleveland Browns and have been since 1960. There's no reason to mess with it. Just because you can remove stripes from a helmet doesn't mean it will work. Look at the Redskins throwback helmet, all they did was remove the stripes and it looks stupid, plus it's pointless to wear a 1940's Throwback and keep the modern logo on there, just have it logoless if you're really gonna do that.

That looks absolutely gorgeous. You have the beautiful logos and team colors on a clean, smooth look. Why would you want to pile on anything more on this? Stripes for what? Only because we're so used to seeing it that we think it looks "wrong" without it?

3 hours ago, daveindc said:

They should. Those old style helmet stripes add absolutely nothing to this set. Go with the full clean look and forget about the pointless stripes.

Buffalo Bills v Cleveland Browns : News Photo

Calling all stripes pointless doesnt make it so. The stripes match the rest of the uniform and are the only thing that connect the team visually to the great teams of the 50’s. 

29 minutes ago, dont care said:

Calling all stripes pointless doesnt make it so. The stripes match the rest of the uniform and are the only thing that connect the team visually to the great teams of the 50’s. 

I never said all stripes are pointless. The whole current uniform is quite a bit different from the uniforms of the 1950's, so you're not losing much more tradition if you went with that helmet for THIS particular look. Teams' uniforms have changed drastically over a period of 60+ years, so I don't think "connecting the team visually to the great teams of the 50's" holds up here. Especially seeing how crappy the franchise has been since then.

For a team that has gone ~60 years without a logo on the helmet, the stripe pretty much IS the logo.

Stripeless on the Jags? Gorgeous; nothing is needed to complement the golden cat logo which is visually striking enough against the black background on its own.

Stripeless on the Browns? Nondescript pumpkin-heads.

The Browns look better withOUT the helmet stripe.  

You can't use that it's the "defining feature of the Cleveland Browns" when they've decided to take a steaming hot dump all over their defining features.  Their entire uniform is a (failed) attempt to be bold and overly modern, but their helmet stayed the same (except for the ugly brown mask.)

My rule:

Helmets don't need stripes just because the rest of the uniform does

If the helmet does have stripes, then at least some major part of the rest of the uniform needs them too

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

That helmet by itself looks fantastic, but when paired with the rest of the uniform the mismatching shades of color really stand out. Darken the gold on the current logo and swap out the throwback logos on the jersey with the current ones and you've got an outstanding uniform set.

Stripes or no stripes makes no difference come week 1 against Pittsburgh. Still going to be a orange headed step child of the AFC North. Might as well wear all brown head to toe to match what Cleveland browns are. Bunch of turds. 

1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Are the Browns' stripe-less helmets new or temporary? That looks terrible. Unless the helmet logo consists of wings, horn, a stretched logo from the back, the best helmets have stripes.

As stated multiple times earlier in this thread, its a preseason thing as an "earn your stripes" goal to make the 53-man roster. 

Archived