Jump to content

Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms


jimsimo

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

I, for one, am not going to criticize them for thinking outside the box - it was in the execution that they went wrong.  Make a few minor adjustments to the current set (lose the Browns word mark on the pants, Cleveland on the chest, and adjust the drop shadow on the the numbers) and they may have been on to something. 

 

So basically, remove anything that “thinks outside the box” and they might have been okay. 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

I, for one, am not going to criticize them for thinking outside the box - it was in the execution that they went wrong.  Make a few minor adjustments to the current set (lose the Browns word mark on the pants, Cleveland on the chest, and adjust the drop shadow on the the numbers) and they may have been on to something.  Honestly, some of the concepts done by designers on this and other sites that push the envelope are some of the most satisfying and intriguing ideas that I have seen.

 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

 

So basically, remove anything that “thinks outside the box” and they might have been okay. 😛

Pretty much. Every tweak mentioned just makes them more like the uniforms they abandoned. In which case we have to ask "why did they even change?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed. 

 

The last Browns set was about perfect.  If only they had a team that played half as good as they looked, and then the uniforms would have been considered sacrosanct. 

Thing is I thought they were. Sure, the modern Browns were always bad but I always assumed the uniforms were untouchable outside of a few tweaks (they modified the sleeve stripes a bit and darkened the Brown and I don't think anyone outside of our niche noticed). Bad team or not they just seemed like one of those all-time classic uniforms.

 

I guess the mediocre play year in and year out left them feeling like they needed new uniforms to drum up excitement, but it never felt like the Browns. And joke's on them. While they probably told themselves they were changing to get away from the subpar teams the last set had become associated with? The new set ushered in the 1-15 and 0-16 campaigns, setting a new standard for football futility and truly making "lol Browns" a meme.

So a bit of karma went along with that too, making the old uniform-clad Ty Detmer->Connor Shaw-led Browns seem like a benchmark to aspire to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I guess the mediocre play year in and year out left them feeling like they needed new uniforms to drum up excitement, but it never felt like the Browns. And joke's on them. While they probably told themselves they were changing to get away from the subpar teams the last set had become associated with? The new set ushered in the 1-15 and 0-16 campaigns, setting a new standard for football futility and truly making "lol Browns" a meme.

So a bit of karma went along with that too, making the old uniform-clad Ty Detmer->Connor Shaw-led Browns seem like a benchmark to aspire to.

 

But Johnny Football, the Texan Todd Marinovich, was going to lead them to the promise land!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=4803621

 

Yeah, reverting to something resembling the classic set would be best. I still wish they had a different name (Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland B-something) and were classified as a 1999 expansion team, but oh well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

So basically, remove anything that “thinks outside the box” and they might have been okay. 😛

Not at all - there were a number of elements, such as the contrast stitching, color sets, and sleeve stripes, that I think they executed very well on.

My point is - it seems that there is an opinion that - since they didn't execute very well on a number of innovations, that the Browns should just stick with the tried and true and not take any risks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

contrast stitching

That looks so bush league.

 

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

color sets

I don't know what this means. Do you mean jersey/pants combinations? The Browns were doing the same colour combinations in the previous set too. 

 

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

sleeve stripes

They're not that different from the last set's stripes once you remove the continued pattern from the front of the jersey. 

 

4 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

My point is - it seems that there is an opinion that - since they didn't execute very well on a number of innovations, that the Browns should just stick with the tried and true and not take any risks. 

The Browns are one of the NFL's more traditional teams. The city of Cleveland threatened a huge legal fight for the right to retain not just the identity but the history of the original team. They only did that because the Browns' history and their traditions matter to enough people. 

 

So yes. They should stick to what's tried and true, like the Yankees, Canadiens, etc...

 

46 minutes ago, colortv said:

I do prefer the Browns current shade of orange over what they used previously. It looks so much more rich and vibrant and the older shade looks faded and boring in comparison.

It's too garish. It competes with the brown, trying to overpower it. The last orange was more subtle and complemented rather than competed with the brown. The new colour scheme looks like someone took the old colour scheme and ramped the saturation up way too high. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

Not at all - there were a number of elements, such as the contrast stitching, color sets, and sleeve stripes, that I think they executed very well on.

My point is - it seems that there is an opinion that - since they didn't execute very well on a number of innovations, that the Browns should just stick with the tried and true and not take any risks. 

 

If the helmet was glossy, I think the new orange would be passable, but as a matte finish, it looks like a dingy, dull, plastic construction barrel. I’m watching right now on multiple TVs, and it doesn’t look good on any of them. The fabrics are okay, but it looks very dark (too close to the Bucs’ red for my liking), and there’s quite a bit of variation in the staff apparel (comparing Freddie’s shirt to other coaches’).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, dont care said:

You literally just listed off every one of the greatest designs in NFL history and said they are bad. Go away troll and never come back.

 

I listed the better ones. Read it better or get some reading glasses! That comment just made me even angrier because you put words in my mouth and I never said that you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:11 PM, hawk36 said:

Syracuse has the right answer... 

 

BROWNS2020.jpg

 

Get rid of the orange helmets. Get rid of the collar and keep it plain if going that route with the collars, no need for a collar like that. Also keep the orange numbers with seal brown trim and ditch the orange pants for the home look if white helmets and go with white pants. On the orange jerseys, they look alright even white lids, orange tops, and orange pants would be my dream color rush!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

 

Get rid of the orange helmets. Get rid of the collar and keep it plain if going that route with the collars, no need for a collar like that. Also keep the orange numbers with seal brown trim and ditch the orange pants for the home look if white helmets and go with white pants. On the orange jerseys, they look alright even white lids, orange tops, and orange pants would be my dream color rush!

 

Get rid of the Orange helmets? That's not going to happen. Nor should it. The fans would be frothing at the mouth irate and I wouldn't blame them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

 

Get rid of the orange helmets. Get rid of the collar and keep it plain if going that route with the collars, no need for a collar like that. Also keep the orange numbers with seal brown trim and ditch the orange pants for the home look if white helmets and go with white pants. On the orange jerseys, they look alright even white lids, orange tops, and orange pants would be my dream color rush!

Things like this, and your clearly racist posts is why we call you a troll, because you are one. Go away no one here is falling for your crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Browns ever got rid of their orange helmets, they would, with 100% certainty, return after five years (barring something miraculous and impossible, like the team winning a Super Bowl 🙂). So, hypothetically, why bother replacing them if you already know they’re coming back as soon as possible? Seems pretty short-sighted from a branding perspective, although not quite as short-sighted as ditching the single most identifiable feature of your 75-year old brand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • officeglenn changed the title to Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.