Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/12/2019 at 12:06 AM, BearW17hNoName said:

I think the football-B could be a great primary logo for the Browns, but it doesn't belong on the helmet. The Browns are unique in not having a helmet logo and I think it should stay that way. 

spacer.png

DEY NEED THE CARBON FIBER TA PROTECT SEMSELVES IN CONBAT BECAUS THER SOLDIERZ AND WATRIOGS

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Everything about the uniform is excessive. Stitching, upshadows, weird stripes, carbon fiber helmet stripes, giant wordmarks.

It's just a weird uniform all around.  It's like they turned everything up 2-3 notches too far.  For example:

• Just make the stitching match the jersey.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Just use the new wordmark font instead of adding unnecessary pointed serifs and up-shadows that don't match the new word mark.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Just constrain the shoulder stripes to the caps.  Medium change?  Major difference.
  • Just don't add a nonsense pattern on the stripe.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Make the wordmark a reasonable size (which really wouldn't even be that bad by itself, but together with everything else, it's just another brick on the wall). 

2 hours ago, CLEstones said:

It's just a weird uniform all around.  It's like they turned everything up 2-3 notches too far.  For example:

• Just make the stitching match the jersey.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Just use the new wordmark font instead of adding unnecessary pointed serifs and up-shadows that don't match the new word mark.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Just constrain the shoulder stripes to the caps.  Medium change?  Major difference.
  • Just don't add a nonsense pattern on the stripe.  Minor change, major difference.
  • Make the wordmark a reasonable size (which really wouldn't even be that bad by itself, but together with everything else, it's just another brick on the wall). 

Exactly. The first thing people learn in design school, Keep It Simple Stupid. It's like they made each tweak and realized it wasn't "new" enough so they had to go even further.

I always tell myself, if you add something to a design and you're only justification for it is that it looks "cool", "new" or "different" get rid of it. Carbon fiber, contrasting stitching, angled stripes, and giant wordmarks have nothing to do with the Browns or Cleveland. They thought it would look cool and made up some half-a** garbage justifications for it. 

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Exactly. The first thing people learn in design school, Keep It Simple Stupid. It's like they made each tweak and realized it wasn't "new" enough so they had to go even further.

I always tell myself, if you add something to a design and you're only justification for it is that it looks "cool", "new" or "different" get rid of it. Carbon fiber, contrasting stitching, angled stripes, and giant wordmarks have nothing to do with the Browns or Cleveland. They thought it would look cool and made up some half-a** garbage justifications for it. 

Challenge!

The design brief from the team says, “We want to include things that are cool, new, and different on our uniform.”

What do you do?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Challenge!

The design brief from the team says, “We want to include things that are cool, new, and different on our uniform.”

What do you do?

I'm sure that's exactly what the Browns asked for. I feel like Nike could have still delivered with far less elements. A toned down version like CLEstones suggested would have been just fine. Plenty of things the designer could have avoided (stitching, number shadows) by never showing them to the client in the first place.

12 hours ago, insert name said:

I long for the day all thet Nikefied teams can look like themselves again. 

You know there will be a couple holdovers just like there are STILL some holdovers from the early Reebok era (i.e. Falcons and Bengals). I'm afraid it will be the Seahawks. I love the colors but wish they had a simpler design.

20 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Ironically, the Browns best uniform from the current set utilize brown as a tertiary color:

spacer.png

IMO, this is the perfect Cleveland set (from current). No brown jerseys in sight:

spacer.png

Perfect? Not by a longshot. Best of what they have? Yes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

None of you were in the room when the drafts, revisions, and prototypes were shown to the Browns' brass, so you don't know if the Browns were like 'needs contrast stitching, because... well just make up a reason' or if Nike was like 'we know you just want a super traditional uniform, but truuuuuust us - this will sell like hot cakes', or whatever and then the Browns said 'let's start cashing checks!'.  At the end of the day, any opinion other than it's the team's fault is just wrong.

What they got was the The Homer of uniforms.  It does everything but play La Cucaracha when the helmet gets hit in.

the-homer-inline4.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived