jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Gray masks forever!

(just an excuse to repost this...)

spacer.png

I don’t think a single one of these looks bad by any means. Sure, a team color would work better for some but, IMO, you can never go wrong with a grey facemask.

I’ll offer a counterpoint.  To me, grey facemasks scream “fake throwback.”  Yes, some teams have never departed from it (Cardinals), and some have silver/grey in their color scheme so it’s natural to have it (Cowboys, Raiders).  But when teams go back to it after having changed it, it always comes off as gimmicky to me.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the white facemask was more of the quintessential Browns look than the grey anyway.

10 minutes ago, unimaniac said:

I’ll offer a counterpoint.  To me, grey facemasks scream “fake throwback.”  Yes, some teams have never departed from it (Cardinals), and some have silver/grey in their color scheme so it’s natural to have it (Cowboys, Raiders).  But when teams go back to it after having changed it, it always comes off as gimmicky to me.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought the white facemask was more of the quintessential Browns look than the grey anyway.

Exactly. Trying too hard to be traditional or old school. Unless a team has worn it their entire history, or have grey in their color scheme, stay away.

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

A helmet primary logo would be a lot better if they returned to a profile look instead of this dated 3D design. Create an update to this:

browns-helmet-logo-old.jpg

And that's fine as a primary, even if I'd like a <=C=> logo or more use of Brownie.

It already exists, and it also does exist for every NFL team in the same template.

spacer.png

I also personally prefer the 2D Helmet Graphics over the 3D Graphics that are used on most merchandise these days.

Also, I've been browsing the Browns SubReddit for information and to get the feel of what they want, and the overwhelming majority just wants the Old Uniforms back, especially with Orange Pants. At least the fans have taste.

EDIT: Further confirmation on the New Uniforms being tweaked updates of the pre-2014 Uniforms

da0Lbhs.png

8 hours ago, unimaniac said:

Do you have a problem with the 49ers current uniforms?  Are they gimmicky?

I think gray fits them better than the Cardinals, who may not have ever used a team color mask but who have changed everything around the helmet to the point where an old-school mask is out of place. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Do you have a problem with the 49ers current uniforms?  Are they gimmicky?

I think gray fits them better than the Cardinals, who may not have ever used a team color mask but who have changed everything around the helmet to the point where an old-school mask is out of place. 

I agree with your point about the Cardinals, but when they did the uniform change, my attitude about the facemask was/is an eye roll and a “whatever, dude.”

And regarding the 49ers, with hopes that my response doesn’t un-Clevejack this thread, I’m personally not a fan of a team doing a full reversion to a previous set without at least some noticeable change.  Though I do think the set looks good, I also think doing that is a lazy way of saying, “sorry, we f’ed up.”

I would/will feel the same way about my favorite team, the Bucs, if all they end up doing is going straight back to the 1997-2013 set, and I think that set was virtually untouchable.

So what you seem to be wanting is change for change’s sake. 

If a previous uniform set was “virtually untouchable”, if it looked good, if they did actually f up in dropping it, why shouldn’t they bring it back?  Why do they have to make changes to a “virtually untouchable” set?

This seems a really odd rule. 

"old school feel with modern tweaks" is not filling me with a lot of optimism. What one person sees as "old school feel" might mean something completely different to us. That could mean the old Browns uniforms we all know. It could mean a new uniform that looks old, but isn't the classic Browns look. And "modern tweaks" leaves the door open for a lot of stupid s***. 

The Browns should be the Packers, Steelers, Colts, Yankees, Dodgers, Canadiens. The Browns are in that same place. 

wear the uniform you're supposed to wear and stop f******* with it. 

c14962e7c3c067070a7f95ebae6f1621.png

Update it for modern cuts with the numbers on the shoulders so you have sleeve space for stripes, forget that brown pants are an option, and throw in some orange pants for once in a while fun times. Basically, wear what you wore in 2006. I'd prefer a white facemask, but could live with brown or gray. IT'S REALLY NOT HARD. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So what you seem to be wanting is change for change’s sake. 

If a previous uniform set was “virtually untouchable”, if it looked good, if they did actually f up in dropping it, why shouldn’t they bring it back?  Why do they have to make changes to a “virtually untouchable” set?

This seems a really odd rule. 

It’s not a rule, just my personal way of thinking.  I think changes in uniform and identity are meant to be evolutions.  If a team, by all measures and accounts, has struck gold on a certain uniform set, I wouldn’t ever advocate departing from it for the sake of change.

But seeing the 49ers now doesn’t invoke a “classic” (for lack of a better word) feeling to me.  The tradition attached to that set isn’t there anymore.  To me it’s the third major stage in the 49ers’ uniform evolution, and it just so happens to look just like the first (I know it wasn’t technically “the first,” but you get the point).

And to follow up on the Bucs, I’d love for them to keep the pewter/red/pewter primary look, but I’m excited to see what they can do within that.  In their case, there’s nowhere to go but up.  But if this is the fourth stage of their evolution, make it the fourth stage and do a good job.

Everyone is totally welcome to disagree, just my personal approach to it.

12 hours ago, simtek34 said:

It already exists, and it also does exist for every NFL team in the same template.

spacer.png

I also personally prefer the 2D Helmet Graphics over the 3D Graphics that are used on most merchandise these days.

Also, I've been browsing the Browns SubReddit for information and to get the feel of what they want, and the overwhelming majority just wants the Old Uniforms back, especially with Orange Pants. At least the fans have taste.

EDIT: Further confirmation on the New Uniforms being tweaked updates of the pre-2014 Uniforms

Thank you, I knew some versions existed, but didn't see it on Google.

I know I've seen a concept on here with a minimalist helmet as well, which I liked.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

"old school feel with modern tweaks" is not filling me with a lot of optimism. What one person sees as "old school feel" might mean something completely different to us. That could mean the old Browns uniforms we all know. It could mean a new uniform that looks old, but isn't the classic Browns look. And "modern tweaks" leaves the door open for a lot of stupid s***. 

The Browns should be the Packers, Steelers, Colts, Yankees, Dodgers, Canadiens. The Browns are in that same place. 

wear the uniform you're supposed to wear and stop f******* with it. 

c14962e7c3c067070a7f95ebae6f1621.png

Update it for modern cuts with the numbers on the shoulders so you have sleeve space for stripes, forget that brown pants are an option, and throw in some orange pants for once in a while fun times. Basically, wear what you wore in 2006. I'd prefer a white facemask, but could live with brown or gray. IT'S REALLY NOT HARD. 

Add raiders ,Celtics, cubs home, red Sox home, red wings, to the list of classics......this could be New York Mets like disaster if they don't be careful 

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

And that’s fair enough.  Gods know that you could get lost trying to find a consistent theme to my own opinions. 😁

I was just trying to better understand, think I get it now.  Thanks for the conversation.  

Thanks to you as well.  Pretty cool discussing differing uniform philosophies.

I actually would not hate a white helmet.  It is the original helmet.  But for some reason, I just HATE a grey facemask.  My dream would be that first pick on page on with Metcalf.  The white facemask looks best to me.  I did like the color rush look, and didnt hate the brown facemask.  Are we going back to the traditional orange too?  Cause right now we look like the Bungles.

White facemasks and striped socks if anyone important is listening.

Pretty sure this is an unpopular opinion: I personally hope the Browns continue to have a big wordmark on the jerseys of their next set of uniforms. I like it and wouldn't mind seeing more NFL (and major college football) teams start going that route with future uniform changes.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived