Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/28/2017 at 4:57 AM, VDizzle12 said:

I was on board with the new uniforms because they brought back orange jerseys and pants. There was also some consistency between the striping and the brown facemask was a big improvement over gray. That's really where the positives end. There's just too much going on and they look like a cluttered mess.

Simplify by:

1. Removing 'Browns' from the pants

2. Remove contrasting stitching

3. Remove dropshadows on numbers

4. Switch number colors. White on Home, Brown on Away and I'd actually be okay with Brown on the alternate orange.

5. Don't extend the shoulder striping onto the front of the jersey. Never understood the need for this. Just looks awkward.

I did a quick mock up:

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 7.56.11 AM.png

This would be a huge upgrade for the Browns but it still doesn't come close to the uniforms that were just replaced in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

All these proposed fixes are about bringing the uniforms closer and closer to the set they replaced.  Interesting. 

The uniform they had previously wasn't terrible... they were much over rated.  It needed improved, but this current set is a downgrade.  The helmet is probably a net improvement, considering they made the stripe more prominent, improved the color pallet, and the brown face mask isn't terrible.  The only downgrade is the pattern on the stripe.

The problem is, they didn't take any aspects from the previous set that worked.  The old uniform balanced all the colors more and was a nice 1:1 translation between home and away.  The old set was just too boring, in my opinion.  And not boring in a good way, in a Packers or Colts way.  Orange and brown are a tough sell and the old uniforms fell short.

They can easily find a happy medium between the old and the new.

42 minutes ago, CLEstones said:

The uniform they had previously wasn't terrible... they were much over rated.  It needed improved, but this current set is a downgrade.  The helmet is probably a net improvement, considering they made the stripe more prominent, improved the color pallet, and the brown face mask isn't terrible.  The only downgrade is the pattern on the stripe.

The problem is, they didn't take any aspects from the previous set that worked.  The old uniform balanced all the colors more and was a nice 1:1 translation between home and away.  The old set was just too boring, in my opinion.  And not boring in a good way, in a Packers or Colts way.  Orange and brown are a tough sell and the old uniforms fell short.

They can easily find a happy medium between the old and the new.

The old uniforms were definitely overrated. It seemed like before the redesign everyone around here would always complain about how boring and bland they were. Then after the redesign happened it seemed to flip a switch and everyone wanted the old stuff back. Guess hindsight made people view the old set differently...

I personally cannot stand the inconsistent striping of the old uniforms. The redesign actually made sure that all of the striping was the same. And like you said the helmet is an improvement. The gray facemask was fine but I hated the white.

Hopefully a mix of old and new is the way they go.

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

The old uniforms were definitely overrated. It seemed like before the redesign everyone around here would always complain about how boring and bland they were. Then after the redesign happened it seemed to flip a switch and everyone wanted the old stuff back. Guess hindsight made people view the old set differently...

I personally cannot stand the inconsistent striping of the old uniforms. The redesign actually made sure that all of the striping was the same. And like you said the helmet is an improvement. The gray facemask was fine but I hated the white.

Hopefully a mix of old and new is the way they go.

I was one of those people, but I just wanted the Browns to change slightly and I said that all the time to my family.I hate their current design because it's just stupid. I wanted the stripes the same. I think the Browns should keep Cleveland on the chest, but go back to what they've had in the past. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

For me it's just 2 tweaks that are absolutely needed (which I think meets the criteria mentioned on the last page):

1) Remove BROWNS from the pants, thus allowing the stripe to be full length

2) Switch the orange numbers/white shadow on the brown jersey to be white numbers/orange shadow

––And if I'm allowed a third change–––

3) Keep the sleeve stripe off the chest (sleeve cap only)

The shadow doesn't bother me and is hardly noticeable on TV anyway. Same with the contrast stitching on the brown jersey. The new shade of orange I like better, same with the brown facemask. I really like the orange numbers on the white jersey. The number font doesn't bother me. Sure it could be better, but it's not distracting while watching the game so it isn't a needed tweak. I actually like the CLEVELAND on the jersey. 

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

It seemed like before the redesign everyone around here would always complain about how boring and bland they were. Then after the redesign happened it seemed to flip a switch and everyone wanted the old stuff back. Guess hindsight made people view the old set differently...

Who specifically said both those things?  Because different people are indeed allowed to have different opinions.

But let's pretend for a moment that it's true.  Sometimes you don't know what you've got until it's gone.  I can see where this awful over-designed trainwreck might make some people more appreciative of an identity they previously thought stodgy and plain.

Yeah, I had an issue with the last Browns set. I didn't like the stripeless brown pants. 

Aside from that though? It was a great looking uniform for a legacy franchise. 

I'm not sure what @VDizzle12 is getting at. 

Easy solution to a great Browns look:

Jerseys - 1999 jerseys (brown and white, with the 2003 orange alternate thrown in just because every team has one now)

Pants - 1999 pants (white pants with thin O-B-O stripes are all they need)

Socks - 1999 socks (white and brown, with striping matching the jersey sleeves)

Helmet - 1999 helmet (white facemask FTW. No logo)

Wordmark - 1999 wordmark (it's the one from the '80s and it is perfect for the Browns. Don't overthink this and try to make a "tough" wordmark)

Team logo - something they don't currently use. Not the dog. Not the elfNot the horrible <=B=>. Not the damn helmet. Come up with an actual freaking logo (that isn't a B ), and don't put it on the damn helmets. Hell, maybe they could make the dog or the elf into a perfectly acceptable primary logo. Just come out with a great one and commit to it.

That was easy. They had it right in the late '80s and '90s. Then Browns 2.0 was terrible for extended time, and they tinkered with it to give the fans something to talk about and feel fresh about. They looked worse and the team got worse, so then they went for the Nike-gasm. Just dress like a historic football team and worry about getting better players later.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 3 months later...

I don't know, but I think the White helmets would do justice.

I made some minor mistakes making it as I am touching it up right now, but hey you can't go wrong with Cleveland Browns wearing white helmets since they did debut in white helmets in 1946.

cleveland_browns-mockup-white-helmets.png

44 minutes ago, Wandell said:

I always liked these uniforms.

GregPruitt.jpg

GregPruitt2.jpg

Me too, I do miss the 1975-1983 Forrest Gregg creation. But to be honest, it was time for them to adopt the white helmets again. Keep the stripes and plain block numbers for the jerseys, but just with a white helmet. The 2015 uniforms are not going to do justice at all. Plus, they look too much like how Seattle does their stripes across the shoulders to arms. I think that style is only for the Seahawks and when the Browns did it, it looked butt ugly like some $2.00 hooker on a corner of a shady neighborhood street. That's my take on the 2015 Browns new uniforms

Haslam has no taste at all. But I will be honest that the stripes on both the brown and white need work. On brown, the orange/white/orange should be white/thin seal brown/orange/thin seal brown/white. Then the block numbers should of been white with the new font. Then the road uniforms should of had the seal brown/thin white/orange/thin white/seal brown stripe pattern and not all across like the damn Seattle Seahawks uniforms. Geez, why do teams try to be like Seattle's 2012 uniforms?

8 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Me too, I do miss the 1975-1983 Forrest Gregg creation. But to be honest, it was time for them to adopt the white helmets again. Keep the stripes and plain block numbers for the jerseys, but just with a white helmet. The 2015 uniforms are not going to do justice at all. Plus, they look too much like how Seattle does their stripes across the shoulders to arms. I think that style is only for the Seahawks and when the Browns did it, it looked butt ugly like some $2.00 hooker on a corner of a shady neighborhood street. That's my take on the 2015 Browns new uniforms

Haslam has no taste at all. But I will be honest that the stripes on both the brown and white need work. On brown, the orange/white/orange should be white/thin seal brown/orange/thin seal brown/white. Then the block numbers should of been white with the new font. Then the road uniforms should of had the seal brown/thin white/orange/thin white/seal brown stripe pattern and not all across like the damn Seattle Seahawks uniforms. Geez, why do teams try to be like Seattle's 2012 uniforms?

Did I miss something?

And can I get a translation on this entire post?

On 3/31/2017 at 1:55 AM, Chewbacca said:

This would be a huge upgrade for the Browns but it still doesn't come close to the uniforms that were just replaced in my opinion.

That looks great, though I still prefer the sleeve stripe to be mostly white on the brown jersey. It looks cleaner/crisper and coordinates better with the white number, in my opinion. I would just flip what you have there and call it a day.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Did I miss something?

And can I get a translation on this entire post?

No. I am talking about how ugly their 2015 uniforms are. It's just Haslam creating a pile of mess. I am making uniform concepts right now and I thought the Browns do look good with white helmets instead of orange to be honest. Looks much cleaner even with plain block numbers.

Browns fixes that keep the "integrity" of the rebrand (in no particular order):

1. Remove helmet stripe pattern/texture.. Just normal decal stripes will do just fine

2. Remove the contrast stitching.. Hurts the look close up, doesn't help from a distance

3. Reduce chest wordmark by 30-50%

4. Change orange numbers to white on brown jersey

5. Extend sleeve/chest stripes all the way to collar so they at least terminate in a way that makes sense

6. Either remove pants wordmark, or work it into the striping pattern, so that it's less obnoxious, and actually can be viewed as a unique quirk that adds to the design, rather than detract from it..

7. A real logo.. Not for the helmet, but for other uses.. A logo-less helmet is inherently not a logo 

**(#'s 5 & 6 aren't ideal, but again, this was the best way to keep some of the integrity of their redesign - assuming that's important to them)

If they move back to something closer to their previous set, the white pants need a B/O/B stripe.. Always hated the O/B/O, as it clashed with the other striping elements in the entire uniform set.. 

Archived