Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

I associate the term "fire," with elements such as BFBS, GFGS, volt, chrome, and monochrome when someone describes a uniform nowadays.

I'm not saying we might see some of those elements with Cleveland, but when someone uses that term, I can't but help feel a bit nervous.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed - the kind of person usually inclined towards fire emoji seems much more likely to prefer piping and paneling and wordmarks on pant legs than any design actually intended to last. 

The good news is that the type of folks who use fire emojis tend to like literally ANYTHING new/different.. that’s why Wazzu, Illinois, and Jaguars players thought their practice uniform looking duds were 🔥.. so there's still hope

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed - the kind of person usually inclined towards fire emoji seems much more likely to prefer piping and paneling and wordmarks on pant legs than any design actually intended to last. 

Saw an Instagram post ranking the top five uniform sets in the NFL, Seahawks, Bucs, Titans, Vikings, and Broncos. All the comments were just the fire emoji 🤮

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

41 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Saw an Instagram post ranking the top five uniform sets in the NFL, Seahawks, Bucs, Titans, Vikings, and Broncos. All the comments were just the fire emoji 🤮

I actually think the Seahawks have one of the best uniforms in the league but it wouldn't crack the Top 10 for me.

bSLCtu2.png

42 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I actually think the Seahawks have one of the best uniforms in the league but it wouldn't crack the Top 10 for me.

But is it REALLY one of the best in the league if it’s not in or won’t crack your Top 10?

da0Lbhs.png

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There’s an inherent irony about a team that redesigns their jerseys around what players think is 🔥 (fire, lit, whatever the cool kids want to call it). You know, players who could be no longer on the team at just about any time.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

20 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Although I'd say the "younger" people seem to be loving throwback/classic/retro designs now more than ever.

Fact.  The majority of the uniforms we're delivering to teams now are much more traditional, simplistic, and the key word is "clean".  I love it when a high school coach says, "give me 1-color block numbers". 

DizzySecondArcherfish-size_restricted.gi

22 minutes ago, Volt said:

Fact.  The majority of the uniforms we're delivering to teams now are much more traditional, simplistic, and the key word is "clean".   

This trend would be much more successful at creating nice uniforms if these people also understood that a traditional football uniform has a contrast of colors between jersey and pants.

52 minutes ago, Volt said:

Fact.  The majority of the uniforms we're delivering to teams now are much more traditional, simplistic, and the key word is "clean".  I love it when a high school coach says, "give me 1-color block numbers". 

DizzySecondArcherfish-size_restricted.gi

If it was already established that you work for Nike, I missed that.

It's where I sit.

54 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This trend would be much more successful at creating nice uniforms if these people also understood that a traditional football uniform has a contrast of colors between jersey and pants.

Traditional?  Yes.  Bad?  Subjective.  Much of whether the monochrome look you detest works or not is dependent upon the helmet and overall uniform design.  It can work and look good, while being reserved or conservative.

26 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If it was already established that you work for Nike, I missed that.

I do not, I work for their largest nationwide team dealer.  We also are a dealer for Under Armour and the majority of the other major athletic brands being used in sport today, outside of Adidas, as well as Riddell & Xenith, who now sell direct.  We used to sell Xenith and as a former high school football coach, I've got a good bit of experience with Riddell, despite not selling it.  Have been in this business for close to 10 years...my day job is working with coaches, athletic directors, principals, etc. on selecting, designing and delivering athletic apparel, uniforms, footwear, equipment, program branding and fundraising at the collegiate and high school levels, outside of what Nike/UA services directly.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Traditional?  Yes.  Bad?  Subjective.  Much of whether the monochrome look you detest works or not is dependent upon the helmet and overall uniform design.  It can work and look good, while being reserved or conservative.

I disagree on your assessment of why monochrome "works", and it ties in to you first response.  Traditional football uniforms aren't monochrome with the exception of all white. That aesthetic is very hard for many of us to get past.

Yes, I know monochrome non-white uniforms existed in the past. They seem to have been long enough ago and the exception not the rule. 

It's where I sit.

I don't care about tradition dictating pants and jersey can't match. As long as the design is good and it looks good, its fine with me. And I think most people agree from a visual standpoint, they've just had it ingrained into their mind that the jersey and pants CAN'T be the same colour because tradition and reasons. That's why a team wearing white-on-white is miraculously exempt from this rule. You can make an argument that a "traditional" team like the Browns shouldn't do it, and I can respect that, but I see absolutely no reason why a team like the Seahawks shouldn't, especially considering its sort of become their schtick. 

The poor and misguided use of the term “clean” is as bad as the poor and misguided use of monochrome uniforms, solid pants, chrome, and a number of other things.. there’s a difference between clean and boring.. avoiding senseless clutter and preventing the uniform from becoming too “busy” is clean.. creating a uniform that an entire community of uniform nerds refers to as “practice uniforms” is boring ..  Clean is good, but boring is bad.. Ohio State is clean.. Illinois is boring.. 

From reddit: Jarvis Landry posted this on Instagram. I'm assuming it's some sort of throwback/90s gear, based on the style and extra shading on the helmet. I'm fine with a white facemask. But for some reason there's no white stripe on the helmet? Hopefully just a fail from whoever produced this....

[deleted]

EDIT: Nevermind. Just a old school looking shirt. 

Archived