Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

23 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Just put some Brown paint in that End Zone and a logo at Midfield (preferably Brownie the Elf) and that should go on the field in Cleveland Browns Stadium forever.

Right @pitt6pack?

I'd say so, at least for some time. I'd make the outline of the AFC logo a bit thicker, so there's no green within the logo. The Browns also like to outline the numbers, and the 20 and 50 yard lines in brown towards the end of the year, which is always a nice touch.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

I'd say so, at least for some time. I'd make the outline of the AFC logo a bit thicker, so there's no green within the logo. The Browns also like to outline the numbers, and the 20 and 50 yard lines in brown towards the end of the year, which is always a nice touch.

Glad you brought this up. Everyone laments the NFL ditching conference logos for the Super Bowl field design, but no longer outlining yard numbers is another issue I have. For a Super Bowl, it just looks so unfinished. I don’t care about yard numbers being outlined otherwise (in fact, it seems like the kind of thing that is better to be saved for the playoffs), but for the Super Bowl? Yeah, make the field look like it’s a freaking Super Bowl.

22 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That number font has to go.  It's a mess;

spacer.png

That stupid angle at the end of the vertical terminators? And the corresponding angle on the turns of the middle horizontals? WFT? Makes the numbers look like they were improperly sewn on. As usual, a simple traditional block would be, by far, the best choice for a team like the browns.

I just dont get why they did this.  Nike created a custom font for the new word mark.  It wasn't a true block font, but was simple with very minor character and actually looked super clean and strong.  Then they decided to add a rise shadow and pointed serifs randomly... based on nothing.

1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

Then they decided to add a rise shadow and pointed serifs randomly... based on the hard working, blue collared attitude of the people in the city of Cleveland 

Fixed your post 😉

8 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I just dont get why they did this.  Nike created a custom font for the new word mark.  It wasn't a true block font, but was simple with very minor character and actually looked super clean and strong.  Then they decided to add a rise shadow and pointed serifs randomly... based on nothing.

I could be wrong, but I thought the wordmark and logos were done by the NFL as part of the branding phase, while the number set came from the uniform process, with the shadow just “part of the story” or whatever.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 2/17/2020 at 9:40 AM, leopard88 said:

I know you old school B!G fans probably still don't accept Maryland as a member 😛, but it belongs on this list too.

Nah, you guys are alright.  If Syracuse wasn't already in the ACC, they would've made far more sense than freaking Rutgers.  Hell, Texas would've made more sense than Rutgers, distance be damned.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 2/16/2020 at 3:59 PM, VDizzle12 said:

A template of a helmet that's been banned by the NFL is just plain dumb. I've refused to buy any Browns gear with the helmet on it since 1999 and I'm not the only fan that feels this way. Have to think their apparel sales would spike if they made a change. I'm shocked the NFL and/or Nike didn't force them to do something.

There are a few reasons for that template fro the helmets. First off, it's a classic football helmet look. It's what helmets "should" look like, but can't anymore because of the safety regulations. But also, these new helmets are highly branded. Much like Nike designs proprietary uniform templates in part to promote Nike, helmet manufacturers come up with the designs to be unique and instantly identifiable. Kids watching want to wear helmet X because they see it's what JJ Watt wears. Youth coaches might buy helmet Y because he sees Mahomes wearing it. One of these manufacturers could easily make a helmet which looked closer to the logo template, but then they're not instantly recognizable to the brand. Regardless, it makes more sense to me to use a classic template of what a helmet should look like, rather than a dated current helmet template which maybe 1/4 of the players wear, which would have to be changed in a few years as helmets advance and that particular helmet is no longer around. But yes, get a damn primary logo.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

That number font has to go.  It's a mess;

spacer.png

That stupid angle at the end of the vertical terminators? And the corresponding angle on the turns of the middle horizontals? WFT? Makes the numbers look like they were improperly sewn on. As usual, a simple traditional block would be, by far, the best choice for a team like the browns.

Can't say enough about how horrible this recent Nike trend of slightly modified blockish numbers is. More than looking improperly sewn on, they look like numbers you see on the worst counterfeit jerseys. You have some counterfeits that try to replicate the font, and then you have some that look like someone applied masking tape to a t-shirt to make numbers for intramural basketball. These look like the latter. 

OldRomanSig2.jpg

22 hours ago, Discrim said:

Nah, you guys are alright.  If Syracuse wasn't already in the ACC, they would've made far more sense than freaking Rutgers.  Hell, Texas would've made more sense than Rutgers, distance be damned.

I for one enjoy the guaranteed conference win every season.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, jgiff17 said:

Wouldn’t the yard line numbers reflect the jersey numbers like multiple teams have done over the last several years? If so they look like block numbers rather than whatever crap they have been wearing. 

Not necessarily. Some teams use the block numbers or the generic Trajan numbers for field art. It's actually not normal for yard line numbers to match a team's jersey numbers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Went through and checked every teams home field setup last season and not one team used a font that even looked anything like a block font unless it was their jersey number font. This might be nothing but it might be something. Don’t discount anything with your baseless opinion. 

9 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

In the early-to-mid 2010s, the Browns used a block font for yard numbers, but they went back to one of the more traditional fonts a few years ago.

The Gene Upshaw logo makes this from 2008; but agreed, the Browns never used this block font (which matches the new indoor field) on their jerseys:

Cleveland_Browns_Stadium_during_2008_NFL

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

59 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Gene Upshaw logo makes this from 2008; but agreed, the Browns never used this block font (which matches the new indoor field) on their jerseys:

Cleveland_Browns_Stadium_during_2008_NFL

I don’t understand. Are you saying the 2 fonts are different. Both look like pretty standard block that the browns had before used before the 2014 redesign

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t understand. Are you saying the 2 fonts are different. Both look like pretty standard block that the browns had before used before the 2014 redesign

The indoor field uses the same number font as the 2008 field does, which doesn't confirm nor deny that's is a number font that will be used on the new jerseys. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The indoor field uses the same number font as the 2008 field does, which doesn't confirm nor deny that's is a number font that will be used on the new jerseys. 

Got it, I agree. Especially with it just being a practice field, the numbers are more of an after thought and I think there are a few that don’t even use numbers especially for outdoor practice fields.

13 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

No it doesn't... If you look close you can see some subtle differences.

ZWrDkpT.jpg

Practice field is a modern block not traditional... combination of sharp angles and rounded edges

34 minutes ago, canzman said:

No it doesn't... If you look close you can see some subtle differences.

ZWrDkpT.jpg

Practice field is a modern block not traditional... combination of sharp angles and rounded edges

That second font looks like a number system based on the jersey wordmark of the past few years.

Good possibility that's the new number font IMO.

10 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That second font looks like a number system based on the jersey wordmark of the past few years.

Good possibility that's the new number font IMO.

I'm not so sure they'll use it since they didn't try using it in the last update. It is the superior font to what they went with too, which is even more disappointing. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived