Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BucksFan5 said:

They've only been worn twice in 5 years. I always liked the orange better than our primary.

The orange disdain goes all the way back to the old unis when they introduced the dayglo orange jerseys. Fans bought them but they didn't look good on the field at all. Fans didn't like them and in market research by holmgren they went mono white for an entire season at one point. In a misguided throwback attempt. But brown is the popular color for fans to buy jerseys. More than any other color. And fans aren't exactly thrilled with the current brown jersey. The orange numbers just make it look cheap and haphazard with the up shadow. 

The color rush simplified a few of the flaws in the original unis the 2015 redesign didn't. Namely the sleeve striping (they already tried to fix it before 2015 by removing the spaces between the stripes), but with sleeves being nonexistent on most player jerseys today it looks like crap. The color rush jerseys have space limitations, but the single color stripes over the background jersey color make it less cluttered and the lack of white isn't as garish in the pattern. 

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Orange socks make the uniform look fantastic. It's a great look but I don't think it should be a full time look ever, if anything the Browns should have this be an alternate if they don't want to invest in orange jerseys.

6W7skkq.png

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

They have orange jerseys. They're not popular with fans. 

That’s honestly kind of a shame. I liked the 2000s orange alternates, drop shadow included. I wished that the NFL allowed for some degree of differentiation other than a straight-up palette swap.

Of the non-Color Rush™ uniforms, I’d say that the orange tops are the best looking of the bunch, primarily because the numbers and text are white and don’t seem to be as obtrusive/cheap as the orange text/numbers are on the non-Color Rush™ jerseys, but that’s still a low bar to clear. 

FWIW, I’ve always liked the idea of flipping the orange and brown on Cleveland’s Color Rush™ tops, with complimentary brown and/or white pants, of course.

While I’d prefer the Browns to stick with Brown/Orange/White, I’d even be intrigued with gray pants as a general alternate option (perhaps to pair with the return to the gray face mask?) or using cream in place of white on a fauxback alternate.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Going back to this photo again (I can never remember who made the edits to this photo, so please let me now if you're out there) you can see the current uniform is only a few tweaks away from looking good.

1. Remove 'Browns' from pants

2. Remove contrasting stitching

3. Remove dropshadows on numbers

4. Switch number colors. White on home, brown on away

5. Don't extend should/sleeve stripes onto the front of the jersey.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fboards.sportslogos.net%2Fuploads%2Fmonthly_2017_03%2F58da4f6e79d8f_ScreenShot2017-03-28at7_56_11AM.png.6090a9d13109539fc245317c1ec544f6.png&hash=bfd3cb374530348d763685aa1eb3ad60

T1oYViW.png

10 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Orange socks make the uniform look fantastic. It's a great look but I don't think it should be a full time look ever, if anything the Browns should have this be an alternate if they don't want to invest in orange jerseys.

6W7skkq.png

I don't get the love for the chocolate popsicle look at all, but at least it looks better with orange socks.  My biggest issue is that the white helmet stripe sticks out like a sore thumb with this set.  I think if you make the middle sleeve stripe white and one of the pants stripes white, you'd have a winner here.  

2 hours ago, mafiaman said:

I don't get the love for the chocolate popsicle look at all, but at least it looks better with orange socks.  My biggest issue is that the white helmet stripe sticks out like a sore thumb with this set.  I think if you make the middle sleeve stripe white and one of the pants stripes white, you'd have a winner here.  

Or simply remove the white stripe (I know traditionalist hate this idea but visually I think it's way better). 

BrownsOrange.jpg

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Or simply remove the white stripe (I know traditionalist hate this idea but visually I think it's way better). 

BrownsOrange.jpg

I like this idea *if* they bring back the previous uniform as the main home and road set. The above would be a great alternate look to complement the classics because it’s essentially the same uniform with the white removed.

The only change I’d make is reversing the pants so they match the helmet. I’ve always preferred white pants on the classics, but I’m into the idea of orange pants on this hypothetical alternate that has no white on it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 hours ago, hawk36 said:

BrownsOrange.jpg

I've said that for a while.  They could do a white version, as well, where they remove the brown stripes on the helmet.  Everything on jersey and pants would turn from brown to white.  The symmetry would be outstanding. 

1 hour ago, CLEstones said:

I've said that for a while.  They could do a white version, as well, where they remove the brown stripes on the helmet.  Everything on jersey and pants would turn from brown to white.  The symmetry would be outstanding. 

I'm still holding out hope for an orange version next season, if they base the redesign around these. All orange with brown numbers and stripes would be solid.

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm still holding out hope for an orange version next season, if they base the redesign around these. All orange with brown numbers and stripes would be solid.

It would be an upgrade from what they currently have.  But would still be a big step down of what they COULD have.

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s about the size of it. 

All this Color Rush stuff is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I'd be fine with keeping the color rush for 1-2 games a season (if they removed the white stripe on the helmet) but then making their full time the "pre 5 years ago" classics (with original helmet with white stripe). 

10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s about the size of it. 

All this Color Rush stuff is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I’d say it’s more like picking between a RealDoll and a blowup doll. The former gets you closer to the real thing, but is somehow worse in a variety of ways.

It's weird that the Browns and LA Rams are so convultedly bad in similar ways.

The fans want the basic looks they're familiar with and revere, but Nike and the NFL have conspired to make the teams look as stupid as possible. It takes a lot of effort to be that obtuse.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

30 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It's weird that the Browns and LA Rams are so convultedly bad in similar ways.

The fans want the basic looks they're familiar with and revere, but Nike and the NFL have conspired to make the teams look as stupid as possible. It takes a lot of effort to be that obtuse.

Yeah. This is what happens when you embrace the "we can't look back" mentality. And it's not just football. A Cleveland Browns uniform and a LA Lakers uniform should be the easiest things to design because they both have classic looks that stand out among the best each league has to offer.

And yet Nike has the Lakers in black side panels in their classic purples and the Browns are wearing wordmark pants and "rise shadow" numbers with contrasting stitching. Why is this so hard?

And yes, I know it's not just Nike. The teams sign off on this stuff, but Nike sure does seem like a common factor here. They don't shoulder all of the blame, but they're hardly innocent uniform manufacturers just doing what the teams say. 

I know the Browns have said they're going in a simpler direction but I don't trust it entirely. We'll get something stupid. Maybe they keep the oversized BROWNS wordmark on the jersey, or the stupid overly angled number font. Regardless? The answer should be the classic look they had before they changed, but they won't do that.

I assume a lot of this is to sell jersey merchandise, but do teams like the Packers and Patriots lack for sales success?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I like that the Browns aren't allowed to look like the Browns of old. It reminds people that they're a 1999 expansion team that got a sweat deal in keeping their franchise certificate from the old club so they can make-believe that evil Art Modell didn't move their team to Baltimore. 

It's old ground, but I feel like treading it again. "Browns' should have been retired, a la Rough Riders for CFL Ottawa. The '99 team could have adopted the brown/orange/white color scheme and the same helmet design, but they shouldn't have been allowed to use the "Browns" name. Something that starts with "B" or "Br" would have been best.

Besides, most of those Browns fans probably liked Little Red Sambo. I have no sympathy for them.

Just now, DG_Now said:

I assume a lot of this is to sell jersey merchandise, but do teams like the Packers and Patriots lack for sales success?

There's a difference. Both of those teams are constantly in contention. The Rams, Browns, Jaguars, Dolphins, Jets, Lions, Titans, and post-"basketball reasons" Lakers are not.

Nothing special but quick easy fix. 

spacer.png

1. Fixed contrast stitching
  2. Shortened sleeve stripes
  3. Grey facemask (chose over white)
  4. "CLEVELAND" shrunk
  5. Numbers in white
  6. White pants w/ basic stripe contrast colored to sleeve and helmet stripes.

Archived