Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I should have been more specific. I definitely don't think the players and coaches should design the uniforms. I was thinking of more practical reasons why the players/coaches would be opposed to uniform designs. Like the current guys hating the brown jerseys, because they can't read the orange numbers. A problem that never would have happened if they did proper research in the beginning. The NFL has such strict rules, they need to get it right this time.

If I give players and coaches five uniforms, and they don't like any of them, and then I ask "Well, what do you want?"...aren't they effectively designing the uniforms? Heavy input into designs from players and coaches may not end up favorably for fans. Players and coaches are usually not long-term, diehard fans of the team of which they are employed. 

If the point is "Coaches should decide the number color"...knowing they'll pick white over orange...then yep, you're right.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever process they went through last time lead us to contrast stitching, bizarre shadows, sideways lettering on the pants, and a collegiate-sized wordmark on the jersey.

Literally any other process, including throwing darts against a wall plastered with random uniform designs would be preferable.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The smartest thing for Nike, the NFL and the Browns to do is involve Cleveland fans, coaches and players in the process. Don't let them design anything obviously. But do focus groups and gauge reactions before everything is official. If they cared enough to do it the first time, they wouldn't be in this mess. 

Imagine if they did something dumb like white helmets and we have to wait 5 years to see it fixed again? or forcing us to watch all white uniforms for another 5 years.

Dumb idea. It's on Nike/NFL/Browns to design something thats appealing to fans. 

25 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

Dumb idea. It's on Nike/NFL/Browns to design something thats appealing to fans. 

Unfortunately I don't think we can trust them anymore. We've seen dozens of concepts on here posted by members, myself included, that are a million times better than what they did a few years ago. Yet somehow they can't get it right. It shouldn't be difficult, but somehow they have no idea what they are doing.

4 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The smartest thing for Nike, the NFL and the Browns to do is involve Cleveland fans, coaches and players in the process. Don't let them design anything obviously. But do focus groups and gauge reactions before everything is official. If they cared enough to do it the first time, they wouldn't be in this mess. 

Imagine if they did something dumb like white helmets and we have to wait 5 years to see it fixed again? or forcing us to watch all white uniforms for another 5 years.

They made a big point of having focus groups to provide fan input on the 2015 redesign, so yeah...proceed with great caution if you go down that road.

58 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

They made a big point of having focus groups to provide fan input on the 2015 redesign, so yeah...proceed with great caution if you go down that road.

and unfortunately, in an attempt to appeal to everyone, they implemented all of the suggestions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

24 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Have they tried just hiring some designers to come up with uni concepts and have the fans vote for them?

That would be incredibly expensive and impractical at the pro level.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That would be incredibly expensive and impractical at the pro level.

And I don't trust the fans to pick anything other than the one they assign the most fire emojis to on Twitter. 

Perhaps so but, considering that their attempts to design uniforms "to appeal to the fans" have resulted in this and I kinda don't trust athletes or staff with uni designs they would probably be better off with that option

Designers and teams just need to avoid chasing whatever the latest, hottest trends are - or worse yet, trying to create said trends. Super-trendy uniforms are generally dated within a few years of release. It leads to a never-ending cycle of new uniforms every five years, as we're now seeing with the Jags and Browns (and arguably the Seahawks before that).

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

Designers and teams just need to avoid chasing whatever the latest, hottest trends are - or worse yet, trying to create said trends. Super-trendy uniforms are generally dated within a few years of release. It leads to a never-ending cycle of new uniforms every five years, as we're now seeing with the Jags and Browns (and arguably the Seahawks before that).

You're darn tootin'. Teams chasing the latest trend got us the 2002 Bills kitchen sink uniforms, and the 2003 Falcons/2006 Vikings/2005 Cardinals crazy stripes disasters. At least the Vikings had the sense to ditch them and go with what they have now, which I think is their best uni of all.

Trend-chasing also was responsible for the teal-infused '90s. Now we're in the "let's cram some black into our uniforms to sell merchandise" phase.

Players should NEVER have any input on uniforms for the reasons you just stated. Notice all the teams that consistently are in the Top 10 every year for uniforms don't chase trends or listen to players' advice (Packers, Steelers, Bears, Yankees, Bulls, Spurs, Canadiens, Cowboys, etc.). A team with a deep tradition should say to players it's a privilege to put our uniform on, we don't need your design advice.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2018/03/08/browns-uniform-redesign-underway-for-2020-reveal/

"As part of the uniform design process, the Browns are hopeful they’ll implement a new primary logo for the club, which has used its trademark orange helmet as the primary marketing tool for years with failed iterations of secondary logos blended in occasionally, but unlike 2015, it won’t simply be a repainted version of the helmet."

If they actually go through with this, I'll be very surprised.

18 hours ago, VikingsAiden said:

Totally agree. Don't want to go the Minnesota route, where the COACH is the inspiration for the TEAMS uniform.

Especially since the Browns won't have the same coach in 2020 as they do today.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

23 hours ago, WSU151 said:

If the point is "Coaches should decide the number color"...knowing they'll pick white over orange...then yep, you're right.

Yes this is my point. Obviously coaches and players shouldn't be designing anything. But the orange number fiasco should never have happened. The coaches should have been shown the brown uniforms before they were unveiled.

The NFL has the five year rule. So everything is kept hidden and all of a sudden they want to make a big splash at the unveiling just to find out that the design team screwed up big time. Now, as Browns fans, we're stuck watching only the white uniforms for the next few years. Same will happen if they try a white helmet or something dumb in 2020 to try to be different. We'll be waiting until 2025 for another mess to fixed.

7 hours ago, buckeye said:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2018/03/08/browns-uniform-redesign-underway-for-2020-reveal/

"As part of the uniform design process, the Browns are hopeful they’ll implement a new primary logo for the club, which has used its trademark orange helmet as the primary marketing tool for years with failed iterations of secondary logos blended in occasionally, but unlike 2015, it won’t simply be a repainted version of the helmet."

If they actually go through with this, I'll be very surprised.

So the orange isn't going to be orangier???

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

39 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

So the orange isn't going to be orangier???

Havent you been reading? It’s gonna be white ?

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JagAaron33 said:

One of the major things seems to be losing the wordmarks:

Is it me, or does Paul Lukas completely mis-summarize what's going on? 2018 tweaks seem like a different change than the 2020 redesign.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived