Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

22 hours ago, jsr862 said:

Stripes or no stripes makes no difference come week 1 against Pittsburgh. Still going to be a orange headed step child of the AFC North. Might as well wear all brown head to toe to match what Cleveland browns are. Bunch of turds. 

Posts like this are my biggest pet peeve of this board. We’re here to discuss a team’s aesthetics, and that shouldn’t be clouded by your fandom. If you can’t make that leap, maybe this isn’t the place for you. 

I love Tottenham but think, when done right, few teams look better than Arsenal in its standard kit. Tottenham looks like garbage this season. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

Posts like this are my biggest pet peeve of this board. We’re here to discuss a team’s aesthetics, and that shouldn’t be clouded by your fandom. If you can’t make that leap, maybe this isn’t the place for you. 

I love Tottenham but think, when done right, few teams look better than Arsenal in its standard kit. Tottenham looks like garbage this season. 

Bravo BJ. We're just having a debate and discussion about the Browns uniforms. 

On 8/18/2018 at 9:17 PM, daveindc said:

Buffalo Bills v Cleveland Browns : News Photo

Buffalo Bills v Cleveland Browns : News Photo

When I look at this uniform a couple things stand out. The stripes not being on the helmet is almost not an issue due to hoe much striping appears all over the rest of the uniform. If the sleeve stripes were slimmer and stopped at the sleeve caps I think we'd notice the lack of helmet stripes much more. This uniform set proves the adage that not everything has to have the same proportions of color to make for a good look. The only part of this combo that still takes away from the look is the BROWNS on the pant stripes that take up 60% of that area and the brown socks with no striping whatsoever. Personally, I still prefer they have the helmet stripes but not having them now doesn't stand out nearly as much as Montreal, who are using multiple logos in a monochrome color and none of them actually match the rest of the uniform that they'll be worn with. 

Image result for montreal alouettes 2018

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've always felt that if the helmet has an actual logo, stripes aren't needed.

If the helmet is plain it needs something. Especially when an orange helmet with stripes IS their logo.

Didn't see the stripe-less preseason as an issue at first. But now with so many people liking the look, I wish they would have never done it.

6 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I've always felt that if the helmet has an actual logo, stripes aren't needed.

If the helmet is plain it needs something. Especially when an orange helmet with stripes IS their logo.

Didn't see the stripe-less preseason as an issue at first. But now with so many people liking the look, I wish they would have never done it.

I think if they did this every year in the preseason prior, we probably wouldn't think much about it. The fact they aren't dressed up can be a bit jarring to fans as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think if they did this every year in the preseason prior, we probably wouldn't think much about it. The fact they aren't dressed up can be a bit jarring to fans as well. 

I'm sure if they win a few games this year, it will probably be around until Hue Jackson is gone.

People like anything new. Fans loved the new Browns uniforms at first and now everyone hates them. I'm sure if they saw these helmets for a whole season people would have different opinions.

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm sure if they win a few games this year, it will probably be around until Hue Jackson is gone.

People like anything new. Fans loved the new Browns uniforms at first and now everyone hates them. I'm sure if they saw these helmets for a whole season people would have different opinions.

LOLwut?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

LOLwut?

I mean, judging by their avatar, they very well could live near Cleveland and could be speaking from experience. Maybe Browns fans in and around Cleveland did like the new uniforms when they were first unveiled? Because the team's old/classic look was so associated with losing that a new look brought hope for a franchise turnaround? That enthusiasm probably dissipated quickly, but maybe the locals liked it for a time.

ClAFLDa.png

9 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

I mean, judging by their avatar, they very well could live near Cleveland and could be speaking from experience. Maybe Browns fans in and around Cleveland did like the new uniforms when they were first unveiled? Because the team's old/classic look was so associated with losing that a new look brought hope for a franchise turnaround? That enthusiasm probably dissipated quickly, but maybe the locals liked it for a time.

This is exactly it. I remember at the unveiling people were going nuts for the new uniforms and they were selling like crazy. After a season or two people realized how awful they actually were. The old set was associated with losing and started to fell dull because they were wearing the same thing every week. Brown over white, white over brown, all white or the horrible all brown. Finally orange was brought back into the mix and people were happy, including myself.

There is actual marketing data that suggests that any new jersey will sell well, regardless of its critical reception. There are a large cross-section of fans who don't understanding the nuances of uni design or who simply don't care and want whatever's new... or even some kids who really do like it because swag.

Personally, I'd rather spend $20 on a 90's Champion replica with the Impact font nameplate over any Nike jersey on the market... or spend $120 on an actual game-worn jersey.

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

This is exactly it. I remember at the unveiling people were going nuts for the new uniforms and they were selling like crazy. After a season or two people realized how awful they actually were. The old set was associated with losing and started to fell dull because they were wearing the same thing every week. Brown over white, white over brown, all white or the horrible all brown. Finally orange was brought back into the mix and people were happy, including myself.

That's not what was being expressed by Cleveland fans here.  While certainly not representative of the entire fanbase, the reaction here when these were released was utter disgust by (unscientific guess) more than 90% of posters. I really can't even recall any positive reviews, only "if only they did x", or (more common) "if only they didn't do x".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's not what was being expressed by Cleveland fans here.  While certainly not representative of the entire fanbase, the reaction here when these were released was utter disgust by (unscientific guess) more than 90% of posters. I really can't even recall any positive reviews, only "if only they did x", or (more common) "if only they didn't do x".

This is true. I think everyone here tends to view uniforms differently. When the general public sees something new they just call it fire and add a bunch of emojis. Just because it is new.

Sidenote: Just goes to show how many people hate the uniforms. NFL Shop is selling these....

ff_3182569alt1_full.jpg&w=900ff_3182560alt1_full.jpg&w=900

Weird to see the old style uniform, for players that have never worn them. As far as I can tell they are the only team with these "throwbacks."

Speaking of stripes...

Are they keeping the stupid text below the pants stripes or is the rumor of redesigning the pants for this season still alive but that they're waiting for after the preseason?

VmWIn6B.png

Somewhat of a side note ... and question ... I thought I read somewhere hear or floating around on the internet that the Browns were making changes to their pants? Like getting rid of the text on the side stripe. Any truth to that? They're wearing them during the preseason, but we know that means nothing with their helmets.

[NOTE: I tried Googling it, but mainly got links to Cleveland Browns pajama pants]

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 minutes ago, kimball said:

Somewhat of a side note ... and question ... I thought I read somewhere hear or floating around on the internet that the Browns were making changes to their pants? Like getting rid of the text on the side stripe. Any truth to that? They're wearing them during the preseason, but we know that means nothing with their helmets.

[NOTE: I tried Googling it, but mainly got links to Cleveland Browns pajama pants]

Ownership said they wanted to make some slight tweaks before the 2020 rebrand, but I don't think anything is happening before this season. They will be wearing the color rush jerseys for at least 2 games. That's the only confirmed report I have read.

46 minutes ago, kimball said:

My guess would be they are not, adding decals to a helmet is different than having completely new pants. The change would have needed to be made in the offseason some time before preseason, and if they did change to different pants week 1 that would require the NFL to change all types of graphics for things like Madden, TV graphics ect.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

My guess would be they are not, adding decals to a helmet is different than having completely new pants. The change would have needed to be made in the offseason some time before preseason, and if they did change to different pants week 1 that would require the NFL to change all types of graphics for things like Madden, TV graphics ect.

Pants are a simple fix, but I think we would have seen that by the first preseason game if it was happening this year. 

2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

Ownership said they wanted to make some slight tweaks before the 2020 rebrand, but I don't think anything is happening before this season. They will be wearing the color rush jerseys for at least 2 games. That's the only confirmed report I have read.

They've had those Color Rush uniforms and haven't been able to wear them for over 2 years. I guess not playing Cincinnati or Baltimore on Thursdays helps them to finally wear them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, dont care said:

TV graphics focus on pants?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Teams have changed pants with no notice before, even during the regular season. Easy to do since the NFL only regulates jerseys and helmets. The Ravens broke out gold pants late in the season in 2015, which no one had seen before. The Jets in 1978 wore their 1977 uniforms with the new helmet during preseason, then wore the regular uniforms in Week 1. I also recall the Bengals in 2003 showing up in black pants in Week 1, which were not seen or mentioned before...same with the Colts in 1995 with the blue pants.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

EA would just send out a patch that adds the pants to team options. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived