Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

22 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

As @Gupti mentions earlier on, the orange pants are overpowering in my eye. You would think that orange would be bright enough to work as the helmet and pants like teams who use white, silver, or gold in those spots, but it rarely works as well. Illinois and Syracuse have historically used orange helmets and pants paired with navy jerseys, which I think works better because navy is very different from orange, while orange and brown seem weirdly close in comparison.

Nothin' weird about it: what is brown but dark orange? 

I inveighed against matte fabrics in the talk about the Buccaneers' warm grey that they refer to as pewter, but orange pants on the Browns are a place where you would want the color toned down a bit. 

51zJIZ8nyVL.jpg

Looking at a picture like this one, these pants almost seem more like an evolution of "uncolored" leather pants than orange for the sake of orange (which is what they were, the Browns wore white pants for years before this). The grass and dirt stains really feel like they belong there. But when they tried it in the 2000s with dazzle fabric, it didn't work the same way:

jeff-garcia.jpg

Too shiny, too garish, too orange.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

51zJIZ8nyVL.jpg

Throw a gray facemask on that and it's a fantastic football uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd say keep the white facemask but switch to black cleats. All the pre-merger NFL teams should wear black cleats, except maybe the Rams. The ten AFL teams should all wear white. The post-merger teams can wear wacky colors, who cares.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like white because it’s a clean look against the bottom of the sock. Black is fine, but just looks a little “slow” to me. J guess it depends on your brand and if you’re a flashy high-scoring team or a methodical ground and pound team that matriculates the ball. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

I inveighed against matte fabrics in the talk about the Buccaneers' warm grey that they refer to as pewter, but orange pants on the Browns are a place where you would want the color toned down a bit. 

51zJIZ8nyVL.jpg

Looking at a picture like this one, these pants almost seem more like an evolution of "uncolored" leather pants than orange for the sake of orange (which is what they were, the Browns wore white pants for years before this). The grass and dirt stains really feel like they belong there. But when they tried it in the 2000s with dazzle fabric, it didn't work the same way:

jeff-garcia.jpg

The more muted orange in that older picture definitely works better, but I just prefer white.

You're definitely right about that newer picture being too garish, and it's even worse with the most recent shade of orange they started wearing.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Throw a gray facemask on that and it's a fantastic football uniform.

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd say keep the white facemask but switch to black cleats. 

Imma say no to both of these suggestions. IMHO, the best route to go would be the more toned down colors of the 80s look, with the designs of the Garcia era look. White (or even better, brown) face-masks, white cleats, and collar wordmark. Orange jersey would be a plus, but not necessary, as there’d already be 2 jerseys, 3 pants options (I’m including the addition of brown pants but WITH Brashier stripes) and 2 sock options. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 8/27/2018 at 2:48 PM, the admiral said:

jeff-garcia.jpg

But SO much better than what they have now. Those are actually pretty stunning by comparison. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Teal said:

Facts.

Do you have anything productive to say rather than bumping threads with one word posts to just boost your post count. I come in here thinking actual news is being posted about something to find it’s just Teal bumping threads again.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:10 PM, colortv said:

It's shocking how much better the Browns and Jets color rush uniforms look compared to their standard ones:

Setting aside the awful monochrome (which both teams were doing before Color Rash anyway), I agree with you. That’s because in both cases, their standard jerseys fall victim to trends at the time.

The Jets opted for a trendy darker color when they re-introduced their throwback look.  The forest green hasn’t aged well, especially in the new trendy fabrics.  They should have stuck with the more virbrant verdant.

The Browns... the Browns swallowed every silly trend then in existence, while trying to start some new ones.  Over-designed and busy to a fault, the brown-and-orange jerseys are practically a breath of fresh air in their relative simplicity.  

On 8/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, chakfu said:

Contrary opinion. Love the bright shiny orange. Hate the matte sipe era pants. Looks like a rotten pumpkin . So drab and old looking to me.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, hawk36 said:

But SO much better than what they have now. Those are actually pretty stunning by comparison. 

The brighter orange looks fine to me. But for a team basing its identity on a franchise with a legacy of power runners like Marion Motley, Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, and Ernest Byner, I can see why people would prefer the muted/matte version.

Personally, I'd be happy either way.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, the admiral said:

jeff-garcia.jpg

19 hours ago, WavePunter said:

I. FREAKING. LOVE. THIS. UNIFORM.

I liked it at the time, I love it now.  Much greater appreciation for it now that we've seen so much of the alternative.

Look at the balance.  Orange element over white over orange.  The orange elements have matching striping patterns, as do the white elements.  The stripes don't have to all match because the uniform is perfectly balanced.

The orange is bright and vibrant, a perfect counterpart to the darker brown.  If they lightened the brown to the classic Seal, then maybe the orange could be toned down as well.  But as it stands, the almost-black shade of brown needs something bright to keep the uniform from becoming blah.

I wouldn't have changed a thing.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I liked it at the time, I love it now.  Much greater appreciation for it now that we've seen so much of the alternative.

Look at the balance.  Orange element over white over orange.  The orange elements have matching striping patterns, as do the white elements.  The stripes don't have to all match because the uniform is perfectly balanced.

The orange is bright and vibrant, a perfect counterpart to the darker brown.  If they lightened the brown to the classic Seal, then maybe the orange could be toned down as well.  But as it stands, the almost-black shade of brown needs something bright to keep the uniform from becoming blah.

I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Definitely a great uniform, but it looks like the Browns trying to be cool and flashy, which doesn’t fit their brand character. I definitely prefer the grey mask and white pants for them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Oh, sure.  Gray face masks are always better for blue-collar teams with long histories.

I go back and forth on the white pants.  Ordinarily I prefer teams to have just one color.  But with the Browns, matching their pants to the helmet works too.  It’s adopting the ultimate old school look, about as far from flashy in my mind as it gets.

• 2 months later...

Archived