Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

8 hours ago, CLEstones said:

As long as they remove the weird "carbon fiber" pattern on it.

Ah, nothing says “blue collar, rust belt football” like... carbon fiber? 😜 

5 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

I remember that as well, but I think that may have been tongue-in-cheek.  Personally, I'd like to see a logo helmet - maybe as an alternate, if that were possible.  There are just too many naysayers who oppose it so I doubt it will happen.  Too many fans living in the 50's and 60's in my opinion.  I think a younger generation could accept a well-thought out logo that brings a modern sensibility to the team while still embracing the past.

They could accept it, but this issue is Branding 101. The Browns have something that no one else has. They’d be stupid to toss it in favor of looking like everyone else. All they need is a proper logo (not a helmet clipart) for use on media, merchandise, environmental graphics, etc. The “nothing fancy” mantra needs to filter through all the branding. One logo (preferably an elf of some sort), a classic typeface (preferably an athletic block without the marketing nonsense that the current one employs), and maybe a script (because they have decent equity in the script endzones), but that’s not essential.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mitch B said:

I think something like the "Ucla" script used on the Bruins helmets would work.

In a vacuum? Yes, absolutely. It would look great. But the Browns are the Browns, and a helmet with no logo on it is a crucial part of their identity. It would not go over well at all.

Now, if an expansion team (not the 1999 Browns, they don't count) were wearing brown and orange and going for a "clean" and "nothing fancy" look, I'd be 100% on board with a cursive script on the helmet. Not for the Browns, though.

23 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

It may be unpopular, but part of me likes that the browns have a helmet as a logo (mostly due to the Vsr4). They could make their logo a 60s helmet design if they go back to retro uniforms and maybe a side profile. 

I think a 1960s two-bar profile helmet would make a much better logo than the 3/4 1980s VSR4 art they use.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Ah, nothing says “blue collar, rust belt football” like... carbon fiber? 😜 

They could accept it, but this issue is Branding 101. The Browns have something that no one else has. They’d be stupid to toss it in favor of looking like everyone else. All they need is a proper logo (not a helmet clipart) for use on media, merchandise, environmental graphics, etc. The “nothing fancy” mantra needs to filter through all the branding. One logo (preferably an elf of some sort), a classic typeface (preferably an athletic block without the marketing nonsense that the current one employs), and maybe a script (because they have decent equity in the script endzones), but that’s not essential.

I agree with you on all of this.

15 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think a 1960s two-bar profile helmet would make a much better logo than the 3/4 1980s VSR4 art they use.

Absolutely.  I'd even say a single-bar would work.

d4fhq5qyrp8nenfnv0stoqy0m.gifvakhqhl8k7vheagdl7jdqgq0k.gif

Either of those would be better than this:

112-1125887_cleveland-cleveland-browns-h

It's too busy, and refers to the wrong era in Cleveland Browns history.

@andrewharrington is right.  The Browns have an incredibly valuable brand, if they use it right.  They should absolutely leverage the old-school 1960s football vibe.

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Absolutely.  I'd even say a single-bar would work.

d4fhq5qyrp8nenfnv0stoqy0m.gifvakhqhl8k7vheagdl7jdqgq0k.gif

Either of those would be better than this:

112-1125887_cleveland-cleveland-browns-h

It's too busy, and refers to the wrong era in Cleveland Browns history.

@andrewharrington is right.  The Browns have an incredibly valuable brand, if they use it right.  They should absolutely leverage the old-school 1960s football vibe.

I always hatted the 3d helmet to much designs and the angles looks weird

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

27 minutes ago, henburg said:

If Cleveland insists on keeping the helmet as the logo, then I've always thought that this concept by Fraser Davidson would be perfect-

spacer.png

I like the idea of more of a logo than illustration of the helmet. This, to me, isn't it though. Maybe something less modern like Tottenham does. Streamline but old style at the same time. But orange helmet seems the most Browns to me.  

spurs-blue-no-text-300x300.png

• 2 weeks later...

I think a shield or badge style logo with a simple icon or monogram would be appropriate for the Browns. Maybe it could go on the left chest, but I’d prefer it stayed off of the jerseys. The team needs something to put on caps and apparel that isn’t  just a stupid outdated helmet graphic or a cartoon bulldog face

On 3/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, andrewharrington said:

The outfit of choice for many kids and teens is athletic shorts, crew socks, and either sport slides or Birkenstocks.

I think you've confused "kids and teens" with "middle-aged lesbians from Vermont." It's okay, anyone could make that mistake.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/29/2019 at 9:40 AM, andrewharrington said:

The outfit of choice for many kids and teens is athletic shorts, crew socks, and either sport slides or Birkenstocks.

11 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think you've confused "kids and teens" with "middle-aged lesbians from Vermont." It's okay, anyone could make that mistake.

Y’all, I feel attacked

spacer.png

Getting back on track, the Browns...if I were them, I'd be inclined to go with the brownie elf or whatnot.  Something that's not their helmet.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

Browns showed an extended clip (about 10 min into this episode) of Baker, Jarvis and OBJ seeing the new uniforms. They don't seem to excited, but some interesting things I noticed. OBJ definitely says "all-orange" after seeing the new color rush set. Also looks to be some new logos out of focus on the left at about 10:18. Obviously we can't make out what they are, but they seem like simple one color designs. Maybe monograms? The middle one looks like it might have some white in it, so it could be a modernized elf or something? Either way I'm encouraged because I don't see anything that looks like a helmet logo.

vqzvq8f61ut21.png

On 4/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, speedy said:

It looks like monogram (or maybe just a C?), Brownie, and then another monogram on the bottom.

Looks like Brownie to me, as well. Is the one on the very bottom a football, with maybe a letter B in it?  Colors look to be staying the same.

I understand that they do focus groups and what not, but why not let the fans vote on a uniform?

Archived