Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

24 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

How about we ask that Dan Parker guy about what he knows? He seemed a teensy bit reliable (towards the end) when it came to the Jags. I recall him saying something about a white helmet, which I think later reports indicated was not going to happen.

The guy who said the Titans had red uniforms?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, SFGiants58 said:

How about we ask that Dan Parker guy about what he knows? He seemed a teensy bit reliable (towards the end) when it came to the Jags. I recall him saying something about a white helmet, which I think later reports indicated was not going to happen.

So the mod team kept a running tally of his claims for each team. For the Jags he claimed that...

-They would keep the logo (true)

-The helmet wouldn't feature the logo, but would feature a "JAGS" wordmark (false)

-Jerseys that were "UCLA teal instead of love ya blue." (false)

-Gold helmets and pants with black stripes (false)
In his defence he later insisted that the gold helmets were "changed to black" but that was shortly before  the leak that showed black helmets. Regardless, his specifics on the helmet decal (a "JAGS" wordmark or script instead of the logo) never seemed to have been true.

He did more or less call the Dolphins changes from that year correctly, saying they'd be minor and that most people wouldn't notice. All the Dolphins ended up doing was dropping the navy and adjusting the shade of orange.

He was likely someone who knew someone who could get him a peak at conceptual work, and he blew that up in his own mind to the point where he claimed he had super insider status. He obviously had some insight, but not nearly at the level he claimed.

For the Browns? Here's what he claimed.

-Completely overhauling.

-A proper logo.

-White helmet.

The white helmet was his only real claim, as they other two could be extrapolated by anyone who had been following news on the Browns redesign.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:48 PM, PaleVermilion81 said:

The guy who said the Titans had red uniforms?

He said a lot of stuff about the Titans, claiming there would be all red and all silver uniforms alongside navy and white. And that it would be "Oregon-esque" in terms of combos. Instead we got a navy jersey, a white jersey, and a Columbia blue alternate. With navy, white, and Columbia pants.

We did just get a red Titans fashion jersey as part of the "inverted" fashion jersey unveiling, but I doubt any of those see the field.

He had a bit more insight than the usual Reddit mooks (BradyIsMyHomeboy, TheSoundOfThrowingPennies) but made a lot of unsubstantiated claims all the same.

@Ice_Cap - thanks for the refresher. I do remember Dan Parker being correct about the side panels for the Titans, but aside from that he was throwing out info and seeing what would stick. It’s good to see that the mods kept tabs on his ramblings (he had some about the Las Vegas Raiders as well).

With regards to incorrect ramblings, 

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

The white helmet is NOT happening.

Thank goodness. A revival of the classics without the orange helmet would be one step forward, two steps backwards.

22 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

spacer.png

Nathan Zegura, Cleveland Browns Senior Media Broadcaster, says jerseys are "glorious"

Still haven't heard what the upcoming jersey news is. I'm assuming the NFL approved the Browns request to use the Color Rush jerseys more than 3x? Feel like that would be a no brainer. If they get denied maybe go with orange as the primary for 2019 just to avoid using the current brown. It's probably too late for a throwback and too early to be anything related to 2020.

6 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Still haven't heard what the upcoming jersey news is. I'm assuming the NFL approved the Browns request to use the Color Rush jerseys more than 3x? Feel like that would be a no brainer. If they get denied maybe go with orange as the primary for 2019 just to avoid using the current brown. It's probably too late for a throwback and too early to be anything related to 2020.

Agreed - I believe the news is about the color rush jerseys as well.  Can they be used as the primaries this year?

16 minutes ago, sealbrownandorange said:

Agreed - I believe the news is about the color rush jerseys as well.  Can they be used as the primaries this year?

I don't see why not, unless it conflicts with the 5-year rule. Switch those to the primaries and use the oranges 3x.

I'd even say take the wordmarks off the pants too, but I don't think thats a huge priority right now for them. 

1 hour ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Hopefully it’s not completely untouched, I would prefer less of a bright orange.

I'm probably on the unpopular side of this argument, but I don't think the colors need to change at all. I'd just remove the "carbon fiber" pattern from the helmet. If the colors do ultimately change, though, I hope the helmet finish remains rather than return to a glossy finish.

2 hours ago, sealbrownandorange said:

The Rams were able to do this for the playoffs so I could see that happening as well. I wonder if they may get a new "Color Rush" in addition to the current one in use. I'd still like to see if they could come up with a white pair of pants to pair with it instead of the brown pants that are used right now. I also wonder if the NFL will have them do "throwbacks" for away games that will let them use a different away uniform and grey facemasks. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't see why not, unless it conflicts with the 5-year rule. Switch those to the primaries and use the oranges 3x.

I'd even say take the wordmarks off the pants too, but I don't think thats a huge priority right now for them. 

Would love to see them lose the "Browns" wordmark from the pants and continue the stripe all the way down.

Per Daryl Ruiter, Browns' beat reporter, the NFL is leaning toward not granting the Team's request to wear the color rush uniforms 5-8 times this coming season.  My guess is, as Ruiter points out in the article, Nike is likely pressuring the NFL to make the Browns wear the regular uniform...

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/cleveland-browns-helmet-remain-unchanged-new-uniforms-2020

The Nike argument is BS. The Browns have been trying to make "minor" uniform adjustments for the past 2 years. Pretty sure they also put in the request well before the OBJ trade. So Nike saying they have too many of the ugly Brown jerseys in stock just doesn't add up.

They didn't have a problem with the Rams doing it last year. My guess is it's the NFL being stubborn again and deflecting blame. 

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Nike argument is BS. The Browns have been trying to make "minor" uniform adjustments for the past 2 years. Pretty sure they also put in the request well before the OBJ trade. So Nike saying they have too many of the ugly Brown jerseys in stock just doesn't add up.

They didn't have a problem with the Rams doing it last year. My guess is it's the NFL being stubborn again and deflecting blame. 

If there was any truth to that, I'd have a hard time sympathizing with Nike (or the NFL/Browns). The lesson should be to not plan obsolescence through their designs if they don't want to be left with unsold stock when their design truly becomes obsolete. Maybe design jerseys people will actually want to continue to buy over time? Not experimental/trendy looks that everyone knows need to be (and will be) replaced sooner than later. That Browns uniform design looked dated the day it was unveiled. They simply need to do better. 

If a large majority of the team's fans and the players want new uniforms, then give them what they want. Let the people who were involved and signed off on that (including the Browns and the NFL) figure it out amongst themselves and deal with the consequences for the mistakes that were made. This 5-year rule absolving them of responsibility for terrible decisions gives them way too much liberty to do whatever they want to do throughout the design process. If they are left with too much unused stock before a new design is needed, that's on them for putting out an inferior product. They shouldn't expect the fans to continue buying those jerseys at full price. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived