Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

5 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

It would be just that much better with brown pants though.

NOT! The orange pants are classic 1970s browns, whereas the brown could be great with full stripes on the pants. 

spacer.png

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Grey facemasks for life. Fight the power. 

Teams that I think would look good with a gray facemask;

Arizona, San Francisco, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, New York Giants, Washington, Dallas, New England, Buffalo, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Oakland, and Kansas City.

Teams that I wouldn’t mind if they switched to a gray facemask;

Seattle, Los Angeles Rams, Green Bay, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa, Miami, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Houston, Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers, and Denver.

Every other NFL team should avoid gray masks at all costs.

50 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Teams that I think would look good with a gray facemask;

Arizona, San Francisco, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, New York Giants, Washington, Dallas, New England, Buffalo, New York Jets, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Oakland, and Kansas City.

Teams that I wouldn’t mind if they switched to a gray facemask;

Seattle, Los Angeles Rams, Green Bay, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa, Miami, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Houston, Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers, and Denver.

Every other NFL team should avoid gray masks at all costs.

I counted, just to make sure 😀

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

People forget the Browns already tinkered with their stripes in the past. In the 90's it was simplified and then went back to the classic look in 2001. If they're not going to switch back to the classic look completely then I feel like they will keep the stripes on the current jersey just make it smaller and more like the Chiefs or Lions as you said. I also expect multiple pants and an orange jersey.

Testaverde_Vinny3_Browns.jpg

I feel like I'm one of the only people on this planet that liked the Browns orange jersey from 2002.

6-orange-whitejpg-d7782bae870fb77a.jpg

Also, I swear these pictures of QB's being sacked are a coincidence.

It's tradition that the browns have.

Norfolk,VA Philadelphia,PA VMD,(Virginia Maryland DC)

On 8/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Grey facemasks for life. Fight the power. 

I’m one of those people who doesn’t like grey facemasks unless grey is part of the uniform’s color scheme elsewhere. Otherwise, my eyes find it too jarring. That’s why I like them for the Giants and even the Patriots, but not the Browns. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

People forget the Browns already tinkered with their stripes in the past. In the 90's it was simplified and then went back to the classic look in 2001. If they're not going to switch back to the classic look completely then I feel like they will keep the stripes on the current jersey just make it smaller and more like the Chiefs or Lions as you said. I also expect multiple pants and an orange jersey.

Testaverde_Vinny3_Browns.jpg

I feel like I'm one of the only people on this planet that liked the Browns orange jersey from 2002.

6-orange-whitejpg-d7782bae870fb77a.jpg

Also, I swear these pictures of QB's being sacked are a coincidence.

The Stripes were never changed in the 90s before the numbers were moved to the shoulders in 1999. It’s just that most players cut the sleeves down. Take this 199? Photo of Belichick and Bernie Kosar.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

The Stripes were never changed in the 90s before the numbers were moved to the shoulders in 1999. It’s just that most players cut the sleeves down. Take this 199? Photo of Belichick and Bernie Kosar.

spacer.png

Interesting. I always thought they switched to two stripes like the photo below. But now that you mention it, I've never actually seen a photo of Testeverde or anyone else wearing baggy sleeves with two stripes.

belichick-turner-johnson-95-apjpg-af0a79

I actually don't mind the look. Basically just take the Giants Color Rush and make it brown and orange.

2 hours ago, Chawls said:

I’m one of those people who doesn’t like grey facemasks unless grey is part of the uniform’s color scheme elsewhere. Otherwise, my eyes find it too jarring. That’s why I like them for the Giants and even the Patriots, but not the Browns. 

I used to hold that opinion. I changed my mind, however, after considering a couple of things.

First, I began looking at the facemask as equipment rather than a uniform. A good parallel would be cages on hockey helmets. Cages are worn by almost everyone at most levels of hockey, save for the men's game at a certain level. And you even see the cage there when a player is protecting an injury. Anyway those cages are almost always black. And goalie mask cages are almost always black or white. Sometimes chrome. Goalie masks are part of a very personalized subculture too, and the cages are rarely customized as part of that. 

So I began to view facemasks in football in much the same way-as not something that necessarily had to be colour-coordinated. 

Secondly, I realized that, in my own atheistic opinion, grey masks don't look bad on uniforms where grey/silver is absent. It's neutral. It doesn't draw attention to itself, it almost fades into the scenery to let the rest of the uniform pop.

So I've come around to the idea that I'm a fan of neutral shades for facemasks. Grey, white, black. Coloured masks can look good, but I don't there there's a single helmet in the NFL I would say would look bad with a grey mask. 

literally they have very close to a great modern set. they just have to drop the gimmicks.

i love the helmet and the thick stripe. they can own it since they dont have a helmet logo.

make "cleveland" wayyyyyyy smaller on the chest.

numbers on the brown and orange should be white with colored shadows. the whites i think should have the same as now.

drop the off colored stitching.

extend the pats stripe all the way and remove "BROWNS."

they'll look modern yet classic, should please both sides and will look pretty damn good (at least in my head it looks good).

they should keep the ability to mix and match. the teams that do this (obviously ending up with favorites) look fantastic.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I used to hold that opinion. I changed my mind, however, after considering a couple of things.

First, I began looking at the facemask as equipment rather than a uniform. A good parallel would be cages on hockey helmets. Cages are worn by almost everyone at most levels of hockey, save for the men's game at a certain level. And you even see the cage there when a player is protecting an injury. Anyway those cages are almost always black. And goalie mask cages are almost always black or white. Sometimes chrome. Goalie masks are part of a very personalized subculture too, and the cages are rarely customized as part of that. 

So I began to view facemasks in football in much the same way-as not something that necessarily had to be colour-coordinated. 

Secondly, I realized that, in my own atheistic opinion, grey masks don't look bad on uniforms where grey/silver is absent. It's neutral. It doesn't draw attention to itself, it almost fades into the scenery to let the rest of the uniform pop.

So I've come around to the idea that I'm a fan of neutral shades for facemasks. Grey, white, black. Coloured masks can look good, but I don't there there's a single helmet in the NFL I would say would look bad with a grey mask. 

The only problem I see with this thinking is that all facemasks have to match. Whereas equipment varies from player to player. Each player can wear different colored gloves, undershirts, even cleats, and although they would look more “uniform” if every player matched, that’s not how it’s done. But, the facemask has to match on each player. That’s why I consider it less of a equipment and more of a part of the uniform.

That’s not to say I have anything against grey masks. I think they look good on the Niners, and I actually would love to see the Steelers wear them. But I wouldn’t want the Texans or a more modern looking team to adopt them randomly.

1 minute ago, BVZ said:

The only problem I see with this thinking is that all facemasks have to match. Whereas equipment varies from player to player. Each player can wear different colored gloves, undershirts, even cleats, and although they would look more “uniform” if every player matched, that’s not how it’s done. But, the facemask has to match on each player. That’s why I consider it less of a equipment and more of a part of the uniform. 

I think the case can made that equiptment has to match. Like shoes (until the NFL loosened their rules on them). Or back to my hockey example. Most of the time cages will match. Unless you're at a rec level where everyone just buys their own gear regardless of team.

4 minutes ago, BVZ said:

That’s not to say I have anything against grey masks. I think they look good on the Niners, and I actually would love to see the Steelers wear them. But I wouldn’t want the Texans or a more modern looking team to adopt them randomly.

I think the Texans' navy mask works. That being said, I would prefer a grey mask to a red mask for them.

16 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The closest I can think of might be the Broncos, especially if they were wearing all-navy, but that would be their own fault for wearing their worst home uniform configuration anyway.

Gray facemasks are the equivalent of white pants in football. Maybe they can look bland or inferior to another color, but they'll rarely be offensively bad.

I think the Jets (new helmets), Ravens, Bengals, Jaguars, Texans, Broncos, Panthers, Falcons, and Seahawks would all look far worse with gray masks.  A couple others (Patriots, Dolphins, Eagles) would be marginal. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

36 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t like it when the logo and the face mask are the same color. 

71P8jGLjCjL._SX466_.jpg

It makes the logo stand out less.

I think it depends on the logo. Something like this Rams example is bad, and similarly the Eagles would look worse with a gray or white facemask for the same reason. Teams like the Saints however look just fine with a black facemask and black logo. The Saints' issue is their desire to wear black pants at home for some reason.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t like it when the logo and the face mask are the same color. 

71P8jGLjCjL._SX466_.jpg

It makes the logo stand out less.

This is a great point.  The original 60s Rams helmets worked very well, because the horn was about the only white on it. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I mean, that’s really effective.  Even with all the white on that uniform, the horn reads loud and true on the helmet. 

But nowadays, with the nose number and the increased chin straps and the white face mask, the horn gets lost in all the white noise. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I know a lot of this stuff we talk about is subjective. But from the standpoint of legibility, objectively, that’s just bad. 

How about a subtle logo pattern on the Browns' helmet - maybe interlocking "C"'s - similar in visibility to what is on the brown helmet stripes now?  Very faint - so that from a distance the helmet retains its orange, logo-less appearance - but up close the logo is identifiable.  Lose the brown stripe pattern obviously.  Just trying to think outside the box.  

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Appreciate that.  But the Browns are not a team that should be “thinking outside the box”.  That’s what got them into their current mess. 

I, for one, am not going to criticize them for thinking outside the box - it was in the execution that they went wrong.  Make a few minor adjustments to the current set (lose the Browns word mark on the pants, Cleveland on the chest, and adjust the drop shadow on the the numbers) and they may have been on to something.  Honestly, some of the concepts done by designers on this and other sites that push the envelope are some of the most satisfying and intriguing ideas that I have seen.

Archived