Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

20 hours ago, San Diego said:

These were perfect. Numbers on the helmet would be cool. I wonder how white helmets would look. 

Denver+Broncos+v+Cleveland+Browns+0YDfp0

Cleveland+Browns+v+Denver+Broncos+fWW553

I agree with going back to the traditional look, but the brown pants should never see the light of day again.  With a rare exception here and there, pants should either match the helmet or be white. When the pants don't match the helmet, the jersey should.  Examples are the Redskins with maroon jerseys and gold pants and Steelers with black jerseys and gold pants, and there may be a few others.

For the Browns, either white or orange pants work, but I actually prefer the orange with both the brown and the white jerseys.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, San Diego said:

I am a fan of the orange jersey and orange pants they used to wear. They're unique. 

2002_1428937207112_16685418_ver1.0_640_4

jeff-garcia.jpg

running-back-jamel-white-of-the-clevelan

This. 

Keep the white pants around to change it up sometimes (and avoid the temptation to go mono orange) but this is how the Browns should look. 

Brown pants should be locked in a closet.

I hope they don't change to a white helmet. Plain white helmets are owned by Penn State, and nobody wants to voluntarily associate themselves with Penn State, least of all a team in Ohio.

The current set is fugly, but could be cleaned up with a few tweaks. Make the shoulder striping a normal length. Remove the wordmark from the pants and extend the pants striping fully. Remove the contrast stitching. All of a sudden, you'd have a solid uniform.

Lots of people seem to be saying the drop shadow should be either removed or converted to an outline. I disagree. Outlines don't look good with this color combination (see the 1984 uniform), and the drop shadow is unique. It's also not a big enough drop shadow to be obnoxious, like the ones that were in vogue in the late 90s and early 00s. Plus, the Browns have a history with drop shadow.

1946ClevelandBrownsAAFC+H.PNG

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

18 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

I don't see anything wrong with brown pants, as long as they have stripes like the white and orange pants.

This is one of my favorite combos from the current set:

19381378-mmmain.jpg

I'd be 100% okay with them keeping the 3 jerseys + 3 pants options.

It's an extremely telling sign of just how bad the current set is, that this might be the best home look.  I've gotten to the point where I can't even bear to look at a game featuring that brown jersey... the ugly and virtually unreadable orange numbers destroy any combination involving that jersey.

When your best dark jersey option involves an orange jersey and brown pants, you have made some major mistakes.

Something interesting I heard yesterday. Hosts on one of the local sports talk stations were discussing a report from a Browns beat writer, who said one of the reasons the Browns players dislike the current jerseys because the numbers aren't flexible enough and it affects the fit of the jersey.

And not only are the Browns looking at a total overhaul in 2020, but they are evaluating options for lesser tweaks in the meantime. I assume that just means finding a different way to apply the numbers, but who knows. Don't forget: The first time the team wore the new brown jerseys in the 2015 preseason, the coaching staff complained about the orange numbers making it hard to identify players on all-22 film. Probably not something that could be fixed now, but it's worth asking.

I wish the NFL wasn't so freakin' stubborn. The rule makes sense because they don't want teams changing uniforms every couple of seasons. But if there are design mistakes that negatively effecting the players, coaches and fans, a change needs to be made. Just removing the drop shadows and making the home numbers white would be a HUGE improvement for everyone. Full rebrandings shouldn't be allowed, but tweaks should be.

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

Lots of people seem to be saying the drop shadow should be either removed or converted to an outline. I disagree. Outlines don't look good with this color combination (see the 1984 uniform), and the drop shadow is unique. It's also not a big enough drop shadow to be obnoxious, like the ones that were in vogue in the late 90s and early 00s. Plus, the Browns have a history with drop shadow.

Other teams have also done a drop shadow, and do a drop shadow, therefore it isn't unique.

I'm not sure what word you are going for there, but unique isn't it.  (See also 'What Grinds my Gears' thread).

It's where I sit.

The numbers not being flexible probably has to do with the weird mesh-like application.

83420.jpg

That, and the fact that you've got the main number, a white shadow, and another pointless body color outline on the whole thing.

My take: the Browns are several tweaks away from being a very good modern refresh.

1) Kill the pants wordmark with fire. Full stripes.

2) Swap the number colors: white on brown and brown on white.

3) 86 the contrast stitching.

4) Adios to the chest stripes. Keep stripes to the sleeve caps only.

5) Number font has some quirks to it. Just use a version that matches the wordmark.

6) Considering they have socks in every color, make sure the pants and socks are contrasting. Too often, they wear brown socks and pants, or orange socks and pants.

I have no qualms with the Cleveland wordmark.

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

My take: the Browns are several tweaks away from being a very good modern refresh.

1) Kill the pants wordmark with fire. Full stripes.

2) Swap the number colors: white on brown and brown on white.

3) 86 the contrast stitching.

4) Adios to the chest stripes. Keep stripes to the sleeve caps only.

5) Number font has some quirks to it. Just use a version that matches the wordmark.

6) Considering they have socks in every color, make sure the pants and socks are contrasting. Too often, they wear brown socks and pants, or orange socks and pants.

I have no qualms with the Cleveland wordmark.

OK, we've seen now about 4 or 5 posts with a slight variation of this idea.  You say "several tweaks" and then list almost every change that the new uniform made.   Think about it... if you implemented the above changes to the current uniform, you'd basically be left with the old uniform, plus one brown mask, one oversized wordmark, and one slightly altered sleeve stripe.  If that's all you're willing to keep, you might as well just go back to what they had.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK, we've seen now about 4 or 5 posts with a slight variation of this idea.  You say "several tweaks" and then list almost every change that the new uniform made.   Think about it... if you implemented the above changes to the current uniform, you'd basically be left with the old uniform, plus one brown mask, one oversized wordmark, and one slightly altered sleeve stripe.  If that's all you're willing to keep, you might as well just go back to what they had.

Not quite. I'm on board with a lot of the changes they made. But they took it multiple steps too far.

I like:

1) The new shade of orange.

2) The brown facemask.

3) Orange and brown pants (with stripe consistency from one set to the next- the plain brown pants from the prior set stunk).

4) Swapping the stripes from orange/brown/orange to brown/orange/brown on the new white jerseys and pants.

5) Simplification of sleeve stripes for consistency with the helmet and pants is nice (but the chest stripes aren't needed).

6) Return of the orange jersey.

Even with my proposed changes, this Browns set would still feel different from the prior design, but yet would be more in line with a traditional Browns uniform.

This is not a bad starting point:

brownsnew.0.jpg

100% agree it's overly designed. Now just clean it up and simplify it a bit, and I think it would be very nice.

Side note- is Manziel wearing a maroon undershirt? Possibly from his TAMU days?

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

This is not a bad starting point:

brownsnew.0.jpg

100% agree it's overly designed. Now just clean it up and simplify it a bit, and I think it would be very nice.

Simply using white only numerals would go a LONG way in improving this set. 

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah. Any "a few small tweaks" list needs to top out at two. After that you're basically designing a new uniform (or reverting to an older, better one) anyway.

51 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks brown, but a maroonish brown.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I wish the NFL wasn't so freakin' stubborn. The rule makes sense because they don't want teams changing uniforms every couple of seasons. But if there are design mistakes that negatively effecting the players, coaches and fans, a change needs to be made. Just removing the drop shadows and making the home numbers white would be a HUGE improvement for everyone. Full rebrandings shouldn't be allowed, but tweaks should be.

I don't know that anyone on these boards has ever truly read the rule, but it seems like a consensus that small tweaks are permissible, just not major changes.. Flipping the number colors on your primary seems like something that should be allowed imo.. Even with the shadows, it would be a huge improvement

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I don't know that anyone on these boards has ever truly read the rule, but it seems like a consensus that small tweaks are permissible, just not major changes.. Flipping the number colors on your primary seems like something that should be allowed imo.. Even with the shadows, it would be a huge improvement

I feel like a team has done this in the past, but I can't remember who. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived