Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

White > grey > brown > the hypothetical orange. I would understand the return to grey if they had been wearing brown or orange facemasks before, but white was acceptably neutral and traditional. 

Still a believer in brown-orange-brown and white-white-white for the Browns, with no uniform elements but the helmets carrying over between home and road. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to miss the Browns brown mask.  I imagine the rest of the effort will be an improvement, though.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I think the 49ers would look better with red facemasks, but I always get LAMBASTED for this take. 

The Titans get a pass, I guess, because gray is one of their colors now, though navy blue would look better. Their uniforms are a much larger mess and need to be dealt with swiftly. The facemask is like the 11th worst part of that uniform. 

Same with the 49ers, though I was one of the weirdos that preferred their last uniform to their current throwback set.

Titans are so much of a disaster that nothing can save them, though the navy facemask would help.

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I like gray for the Browns provided they use Jim Brown uniforms, but I like white or brown facemasks for them more. I think the only color facemask for them that I'd truly hate is orange. 

If the Browns aren't throwing back, I'd like them to add gray to their official pallet, kinda like how the Giants did.  I just think it would look so good with their orange and brown, even if just as pants and facemask.

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

White > grey > brown > the hypothetical orange. I would understand the return to grey if they had been wearing brown or orange facemasks before, but white was acceptably neutral and traditional. 

Still a believer in brown-orange-brown and white-white-white for the Browns, with no uniform elements but the helmets carrying over between home and road. 

I just don't like white facemasks unless the helmet is white, and even then, it's rarely the best choice.  Not sure why, but I've just always disliked it.

45 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I'm going to miss the Browns brown mask.  I imagine the rest of the effort will be an improvement, though.

I thought the rumor was that the logo wasn't changing, which would imply that the brown mask is staying, since that's part of the logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

The logo I've seen has a brown facemask,for what it's worth. What I've seen - to help clarify matters - is a "military appreciation" tee with "Salute to Service" across the front. I don't know 100% if it's any indication.

So it kinda looks like this? (2019 version shown)

ff_3434849-bde90140ea564d1158f8alt1_full

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Hasn't it already been stated the that helmet is not changing and the logo will be the same moving forward? Meaning the facemask will still be brown?

I'm pretty sure they said that last time as well and the facemask and logo changed. I wouldn't read too deep into that.

22 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Hasn't it already been stated the that helmet is not changing and the logo will be the same moving forward? Meaning the facemask will still be brown?

7 minutes ago, dmhtfld said:

I'm pretty sure they said that last time as well and the facemask and logo changed. I wouldn't read too deep into that.

Since that actual helmet is now banned, I hope they go with the brownie or the bulldog.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wonder how much of this facemask debate is generational. I hate the 49ers, Colts, Cardinals, Browns and Giants in anything but gray, regardless of whether or not that color is in their scheme. I'd like to see the Bears adopt it, too. But that's about it, really. The rest have adapted to color nicely. 

Some teams look good in grey, but it would feel like a missed creative opportunity if every facemask was standardized to grey. I can't imagine a team like the Steelers or the Packers going back to grey after like 40 years of successes with black facemasks. Then you have teams like the Chargers, who look amazing in the yellow facemask they introduced this season. 

This all being said, the Browns are a team that looks much better in a grey facemask. I wouldn't hate a white facemask, but grey would be the best option imo. 

Gray facemasks only work for teams whose helmets are more or less the same as what they wore in the 60s.  Teams that had significant changes since then will never look right in them (sorry, Cardinals).  The 49ers pull it off, but I really think the updated mid-90s logo looks better with a scarlet mask.  The Bengals with a gray mask almost looks blasphemous.  The Panthers look particularly terrible considering its a team color... they'd need to get rid of those dorky helmet stripes before even considering such a switch.  And the Chargers should never wear a gray mask when they were the ones who introduced colored masks to the NFL in the first place.  They look great in yellow.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Since that actual helmet is now banned, I hope they go with the brownie or the bulldog.

A helmet primary logo would be a lot better if they returned to a profile look instead of this dated 3D design. Create an update to this:

browns-helmet-logo-old.jpg

And that's fine as a primary, even if I'd like a <=C=> logo or more use of Brownie.

Also, they had a better Dawg Pound logo and wordmarks before the makeover. I hope they tweak it for the better but it's fine if they sit on it.

browns-orange-triangle2-e1425012154419.j

The only facemask color that probably wouldn't work is orange. I see the case for gray and it looks good. I see the case for white and it looks good. I see the case for Brown and it looks good. Just keep a blank orange dome with some classic stripes and I'm on board.

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm still holding out hope for a CB or C monogram. It just seems so simple. I have always avoided but Browns gear because the helmet always looks so dumb.

Archived