Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm a Browns fan and I don't think Paul Brown's initials should be on a Cleveland uniform. He was an important part of the team, but he was not the owner. It would be like putting Jim Brown's initials on permanently once he passes on. It shouldn't happen for either man. 

I don't think it should happen, I think stuff like that is corny. The point was is that it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

If TTUN did a blackout it would make very little sense and probably look bad, but IDK if it would shift my feelings on the Buckeyes in black.

Why is it that it would make little sense for that school up north to do a blackout but it is ok for you guys? I'm glad you went there, because I truly don't understand why it's ok for Ohio Stste to go blackout.

It's where I sit.

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why is it that it would make little sense for that school up north to do a blackout but it is ok for you guys? I'm glad you went there, because I truly don't understand why it's ok for Ohio Stste to go blackout.

Black works with scarlet and grey. It looks horrible mixed with navy blue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/12/2020 at 7:20 PM, colortv said:

1195dd4ca13b85e9b24ea60f485e657a.jpg

That's seriously lacking if it's a proposal for a logo.  It's not particularly well rendered, and it's just a football player.  It's like the White Sox logo that was just a baseball player, or the Cavs logo that was just a net.  There's nothing about this that means 'Browns', or 'Cleveland', other than the orange face.  Might as well just go with a plain football, since they're already brown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's seriously lacking if it's a proposal for a logo.  It's not particularly well rendered, and it's just a football player.  It's like the White Sox logo that was just a baseball player, or the Cavs logo that was just a net.  There's nothing about this that means 'Browns', or 'Cleveland', other than the orange face.  Might as well just go with a plain football, since they're already brown.

As a secondary logo that's used on scorebugs and smaller media, it's a good look. Maybe slap the Browns wordmark on the helmet bumper to add more to the identity but it looks like a Browns logo even without that. It's got the helmet stripes as well as the brown facemask so it's not completely soulless in that respect. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

This is a little harsh, IMO. While the illustration is simple and geometric (triangle, squares, and circles), that doesn’t mean it’s poorly done. Also, it does incorporate the single, most important aspect of the Browns (the helmet); contrasted with the White Sox batter that was a generic baseball icon that could have stood in for any team.

It’s not my favorite idea for a Browns logo, but I am drawn to it more than some of the “CB” ideas or a dog. 

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Black works with scarlet and grey. It looks horrible mixed with navy blue.

But black is neither scarlet nor grey, and a blackout contains no scarlet, grey, maize or blue.

So why does it matter what the school colors are if you aren't using school colors in any form?

It's where I sit.

4 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

But black is neither scarlet nor grey, and a blackout contains no scarlet, grey, maize or blue.

So why does it matter what the school colors are if you aren't using school colors in any form?

Black is actually a school color for Ohio State, it's not for Michigan. Other Ohio State teams have used black for years as part of a uniform base as well. 

Image result for ohio state hockey

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Black is actually a school color for Ohio State, it's not for Michigan. A blackout does not mean only black is used, it just means black is the primary part of that uniform set. 

Meh - when referring to school colors, it's scarlet and grey, not scarlet grey and black.

It's where I sit.

14 hours ago, schlim said:

What if the Browns just put 'Paul' down the stripe of their left leg, and 'Jim' down the right leg, with Browns on the chest, everybody would be happy then, right?

Jim Brown has a very problematic history with women. Hardest of hard passes, and that’s before we get into the design element. 

25 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

And the idea of referencing Jim Brown on the uniforms has come up before, and also needs to be extinguished quickly.

When he dies, I'm sure the team will wear a memorial patch or helmet decal. Outside of that, they shouldn't add anything permanent, regardless if he had personal issues off the field or not. He's probably the best player to wear the uniform, but still only a player. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Meh - when referring to school colors, it's scarlet and grey, not scarlet grey and black.

Black not only goes with scarlet and gray, but it's a tertiary team color that is common on uniforms, in logos, and on merchandising. Doing a blackout uniform makes sense when black is part of your identity, though I understand the traditionalist concerns.

Michigan is another traditional school with a classic look, but black is not part of their identity and doesn't work with navy. The contrast of the maize and blue already does what a black jersey would be trying to do anyway. As a big Buckeyes fan and OSU alum, it's still not hard to admit that Michigan has an iconic look and doesn't need to mess around with alternates much (though I personally really like the bumblebee jerseys).

Also, agree with the sentiment that the team should not make any permanent uniform additions to honor Paul Brown, Jim Brown, or anyone else. Honor them by wearing their uniform.

5 hours ago, GFB said:

This is a little harsh, IMO. While the illustration is simple and geometric (triangle, squares, and circles), that doesn’t mean it’s poorly done. Also, it does incorporate the single, most important aspect of the Browns (the helmet); contrasted with the White Sox batter that was a generic baseball icon that could have stood in for any team.

It’s not my favorite idea for a Browns logo, but I am drawn to it more than some of the “CB” ideas or a dog. 

Allow me to elaborate, since my critique was admittedly 'lazy'.  I think the strokes are too thick, the shading or shadowing on the right side looks off, the triangle nose makes it impossible for my brain to think of it as a human, and I'm not a fan of how the mouth was done.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived