Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

On 2/14/2020 at 1:54 PM, -Akronite- said:

Black not only goes with scarlet and gray, but it's a tertiary team color that is common on uniforms, in logos, and on merchandising. Doing a blackout uniform makes sense when black is part of your identity, though I understand the traditionalist concerns.

Michigan is another traditional school with a classic look, but black is not part of their identity and doesn't work with navy. The contrast of the maize and blue already does what a black jersey would be trying to do anyway. As a big Buckeyes fan and OSU alum, it's still not hard to admit that Michigan has an iconic look and doesn't need to mess around with alternates much (though I personally really like the bumblebee jerseys).

Also, agree with the sentiment that the team should not make any permanent uniform additions to honor Paul Brown, Jim Brown, or anyone else. Honor them by wearing their uniform.

Agreed with much of that, but please let me know the next time you hear someone refer to Ohio State's colors as scarlet, grey and black, rather than scarlet and grey. I understand that they use black as a tertiary color -- that alone is insufficient to support a blackout.  In the Big Ten - Iowa and Purdue USE black as a color. They could do a blackout as it isn't a tertiary color for them.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Allow me to elaborate, since my critique was admittedly 'lazy'.  I think the strokes are too thick, the shading or shadowing on the right side looks off, the triangle nose makes it impossible for my brain to think of it as a human, and I'm not a fan of how the mouth was done.  

That just means you don’t like it, not that it’s poorly rendered.

I wouldn’t want it to be the Browns’ logo (or even *a* Browns logo), but as a stylized illustration, I think it’s quite well rendered. The keyline seems a little out of place for the style, but on the whole, it captures the depth and dimension of a face and helmet using the simplest of forms and has a sharp, Art Deco style to it, which works well since much of the historic architecture in downtown Cleveland is from that era. I like the weight of everything except that brown break between the left jaw pad and the face. I think that area is a little too fine compared to the rest of the details, and I don’t think the break is necessary since the white meets the orange both above the chinstrap and around the helmet bumper with no issues.

At the very least, it makes a much better logo than a 1980s clipart helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's like the White Sox logo that was just a baseball player,  

Sox fan here, and I hate that the batter logo has made it back as a spring training staple. I also hate that the diamond sock has been cast aside.

The B football is a horrendous logo. Absolutely terrible. Looks like an amateur logo that every third dude on this website makes for his fantasy team. Reasons it sucks:

1. It has a B instead of a C. A team monogram should always be the letter(s) of the city.

2. The actual rendering is terrible. The white stroke around the B is very thin, compared to the thick white space on the ends of the stripe near the football. Also, the stripes being truncated on that angle looks terrible next to the football which follows the same course, but is slightly rounded.

3. That striping pattern is irrelevant to the Cleveland Browns. Yes, they used it here and there for a few awful seasons, but their traditional striping pattern is a brown stripe surrounded by orange, which stands out for them because most teams use the darker stripe on the outside. Using that pattern would actually be meaningful to them, but still wouldn't make a good logo. It would be like the Steelers designing a logo around their sleeve stripes.

You could make good arguments that they should use the elf or even the mastiff logo, but the B logo is just awful. Seriously, just come up with some kind of stylized C and call it a day. Bring back the '80s uniforms and leave the logo off of them entirely.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

23 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I know that the two rectangles in the middle of the cheeks are supposed to represent eyeblack, but if you instead imagine they are the eyes, then the whole thing becomes a tiny face inside a giant helmet.

I think you can easily tell they aren’t eyes from the fact that no body has eyes where their cheek bones are, or half way down their nose.

8 minutes ago, dont care said:

I think you can easily tell they aren’t eyes from the fact that no body has eyes where their cheek bones are, or half way down their nose.

Sloth from Goonies would like a word:

1V3tPxF.jpg
Now don’t you feel silly?

On 2/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Agreed with much of that, but please let me know the next time you hear someone refer to Ohio State's colors as scarlet, grey and black, rather than scarlet and grey. I understand that they use black as a tertiary color -- that alone is insufficient to support a blackout.  In the Big Ten - Iowa and Purdue USE black as a color. They could do a blackout as it isn't a tertiary color for them.

Schools traditionally go with the two primary school colors when doing chants and cheers. Otherwise we's have Oregon with about 7 colors of green in each callout. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Regardless, it's not a particularly good or inspired logo. It's meaningless to the Cleveland Browns. It looks like it could be a team logo from an unlicensed NES game that was used for every team with the colors changed each time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

Regardless, it's not a particularly good or inspired logo. It's meaningless to the Cleveland Browns. It looks like it could be a team logo from an unlicensed NES game that was used for every team with the colors changed each time.

How’s that different than the current logo of just a helmet

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

How’s that different than the current logo of just a helmet

Because the current logo is literally just a Brown helmet, not a logo designed to be a replacement for the primary logo. But aside from that, I'm not arguing that the helmet logo is good as the primary for an NFL team. I want them to get a real primary which doesn't suck.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

The Browns should have a real primary logo at this point. They don't need to put it on the helmet, but using a filled in template in lieu of a logo everywhere is just goofy.

A template of a helmet that's been banned by the NFL is just plain dumb. I've refused to buy any Browns gear with the helmet on it since 1999 and I'm not the only fan that feels this way. Have to think their apparel sales would spike if they made a change. I'm shocked the NFL and/or Nike didn't force them to do something.

17 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

A template of a helmet that's been banned by the NFL is just plain dumb. I've refused to buy any Browns gear with the helmet on it since 1999 and I'm not the only fan that feels this way. Have to think their apparel sales would spike if they made a change. I'm shocked the NFL and/or Nike didn't force them to do something.

In their defense, the whole NFL has their Helmet as an alternate logo, and they all use the VSR-4, which as you said, was banned last year. It’s more so what the NFL uses in marketing, which are those helmets, and the 2-Bar Helmets.

da0Lbhs.png

17 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

It’s also a way to make sure the logo is always current. by choosing something outdated and knowing it is, it will always be good. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 2/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

I know you old school B!G fans probably still don't accept Maryland as a member 😛, but it belongs on this list too.  The school colors match the flag -- red, white, black and gold.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I know you old school B!G fans probably still don't accept Maryland as a member 😛, but it belongs on this list too.  The school colors match the flag -- red, white, black and gold.

I honestly couldn't figure out which colors to list for Maryland 😂

Guilty as charged, Your Honor 🙂

It's where I sit.

24 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I honestly couldn't figure out which colors to list for Maryland 😂

Guilty as charged, Your Honor 🙂

It makes it weird when you watch Maryland basketball and see them wear four different colored uniforms in consecutive games.  If that hasn't actually happened in the last 3-4 years, there have probably been a few close calls . . . especially now that teams are willing to wear dark uniforms at home from time to time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 2/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

For such a stickler you'd think you'd know it's spelled "grAy" in the US. 😁

I understand wanting tOSU to use less black, as an alum I want more emphasis on gray. But the school uses black a lot, even outside athletics, and plenty of schools and pro teams have great uniforms based on tertiary colors. To me, it's much better than a team avoiding black outside of a blackout jersey.

Archived