Looks/color schemes/identities you would like to see

This thread is for looks that don’t currently exist but you want them to. They can be tied to a specific team or sport, but by no means do they have to. 

The one that inspired this for me was the 1990s Hartford Whalers, right before they moved down the coast. They wore navy blue, kelly green, and silver. They looked good, but it bugged me a little bit because  they’d always been green-first before. And I realized that a bright kelly green primary with heavy doses of navy blue as a supporting color (either with or without silver as a tertiary) could be an outstanding look. Navy blue contrasts better with green than royal blue does. 

Further, imagining it in a hockey or gridiron football context, I thought it would look neat (if a bit dated) to have a green jersey/sweater with a dark blue yoke. Or, more generally, to emphasize the team’s brighter color as the main while giving the darker one a lot of secondary emphasis. 

I know of no major hockey or American football team that wears kelly green as primary and navy blue as secondary. The New York Jets and Dallas stars are green and black, but the Jets have almost no black in their main uniforms and almost no green in their alternates, while the Stars also downplay black somewhat. 

Sorry if that is too complicated. A simpler one would be a team wearing purple and light blue as their main colors. Or a Nevada-based team emphasizing silver because NV is the silver state. (The Nevada Wolfpack and UNLV Rebels both officially use silver but seem to downplay it.)

What are some of your pet ideas or looks that nobody seems to use?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

An MLB team in hunter green and orange and one in purple and athletic gold.

Green and orange! No precedent for that MLB-wise, is there? I could see it looking good, though, especially in the fall. 

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Green and orange! No precedent for that MLB-wise, is there? I could see it looking good, though, especially in the fall. 

Indeed. The Miami Hurricanes use those colors and look better than the Marlins.

spacer.png

I've wanted the Bucks to bring back double green since they got rid of it.  It was such a unique and striking look that got wasted on some terrible teams full of slow, clunky white guys.

spacer.png

I mean really... is a less "basketball" sounding name than this even possible?

36 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I've wanted the Bucks to bring back double green since they got rid of it.  It was such a unique and striking look that got wasted on some terrible teams full of slow, clunky white guys.

spacer.png

Well...yeah.

s435214573511300858_p701_i1_w750.jpeg

(On the subject of color schemes, this is one that hasn't been used in pro sports since the Cavs dropped it...it'd be a perfect colorway for the Clippers to pick [back] up, but I think that ship may be long gone by this point.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Indeed. The Miami Hurricanes use those colors and look better than the Marlins.

spacer.png

The all caps olde english is atrocious, but these are quite nice

Del_Castillo.jpg

Also, I've been clamoring for years for a pro team to pick up Tulane's dark green and light blue color scheme. The closest we have are the Daytona Tortugas.

cut.png

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

spacer.png

Love the colors, but have come to realize the design of that jersey is very late ‘70s/early ‘80s. They didn’t replace it till 1993, but it was outdated at least five years before that. 

Also, regarding their alleged terribleness, didn’t they make the playoffs almost every year in the ‘80s, and make at least one appearance in the conference finals?

10 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

And I realized that a bright kelly green primary with heavy doses of navy blue as a supporting color (either with or without silver as a tertiary) could be an outstanding look. Navy blue contrasts better with green than royal blue does. 

The old Plymouth Whalers in the OHL had a little bit of what you are looking for with their alternate uniform.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

spacer.png

I really, really wanted a more competent rebrand in 2015 or whenever that was without any of the extraneous blue or cream, with forest green, lime or kelly green, and since patches were unavoidable, a red Miller or Milwaukee tools patch.  Green with a splash of red.  Distinctive from the Celtics and representative of the Championship past

16 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Love the colors, but have come to realize the design of that jersey is very late ‘70s/early ‘80s. They didn’t replace it till 1993, but it was outdated at least five years before that. 

Also, regarding their alleged terribleness, didn’t they make the playoffs almost every year in the ‘80s, and make at least one appearance in the conference finals?

Yes, but all but the last couple of those appearances were while red was still part of their scheme. Once they dropped red and made lime green their secondary color, they fell towards tge bottom of the league and went on a decade-long playoff drought that wasn't broken until the purple unis came along.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Yes, but all but the last couple of those appearances were while red was still part of their scheme. Once they dropped red and made lime green their secondary color, they fell towards tge bottom of the league and went on a decade-long playoff drought that wasn't broken until the purple unis came along.

Per https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIL/ the Bucks made twelve straight playoff appearances from 1979-80 through 1990-91. They missed the playoffs in 1991-92 and 1992-93, and then changed to purple in 1993. They made their next playoff appearance in the strike-shortened 1998-99 season. The Bucks had seven straight seasons out of the playoffs from 1991-92 through 1997-98, but five of those were in purple.

The mothership says they dropped red in 1986. They made the playoffs five straight years in only white and various shades of green. That said, they lost in the first round three of those five years and in the conference semis the other two; the Irish rainbow with no red did NOT appear in a conference final, contrary to what I had thought.

It turns out my timeline was a bit off too... I didn't think the red-less version showed up until at least a couple years after it apparently did.

Still, the arrival of the double greens coincided with the fizzling out of what could have been a dynasty for the Bucks, and by the time they were replaced, Milwaukee had more or less become the NBA's Siberia.  @DavidDunn21 even mentioned the clunky whiteboy thing in his brilliant YouTube series on the Bucks identity. 

They also had the bad misfortune of being immortalized as what was arguably the worst team on NBA Jam.

spacer.png

A purple and red football team, like the now-defunct New Orleans VooDoo. Such a uniquely neat color scheme. TCU is probably the closest thing we currently have to that. 

A team in another major American sport use burgundy and light blue like the Colorado Avalanche. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

On 1/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, Shumway said:

Also, I've been clamoring for years for a pro team to pick up Tulane's dark green and light blue color scheme. The closest we have are the Daytona Tortugas.

cut.png

My current dream is for the Indians to drop the controversial moniker and generic color scheme for a Tulane-esque look. Forest city sitting on a lake is enough justification alone for the Nike press packet.

My high school has orange and white as their colors, but unfortunately they have always tended to basically make navy a school color and use it as a primary with orange as the secondary. It sucks and looks so mundane. I want them to embrace the orange and white completely, for a Tennessee-esque look, perhaps while maintaining our darker orange. No navy, no black, no gray, just orange and white. It's a beautiful combo IMO.

usatsi_11303012-2.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=

Wouldn't mind seeing a pro team give it a shot either. Pretty much any color paired with just white makes for a great color scheme. Always bothers me when colors get added endlessly and you end up with a muddled palate and no distinct identity.

Archived