MLS by mcrosby - San Antonio added

mcrosby

I've tried this a few times before, but this time I feel I've got a good grasp and a decent amount of motivation in the tank to finish. I've decided on a 40 team MLS, split into an East and West league. I've also removed the Canadian clubs, they can exist in my Canadian Premier League.

I've completed rebrands of all current and confirmed clubs, so 27 of 40 logos are complete. In the spirit of rebranding all logos, a few are minor edits to what I consider already great logos while others are complete rebrands. 

I've got ideas for the remaining 13 clubs, but first I want to nail down which cities they'll reside in. Enjoy the first batch and please let me know what you think of the following options: 

East - choose 7

• Cleveland
  • Detroit
  • Indianapolis
  • Louisville
  • Milwaukee
  • Pittsburgh
  • Raleigh
  • Tampa
  • other

West - choose 6

• Las Vegas
  • New Mexico
  • New Orleans
  • Oakland
  • Oklahoma City
  • Phoenix
  • San Antonio
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • other

CWRzNFw.png

eZdZq6w.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know how Chicago fans are pissed off because the team changed the logo?

Yeah, changing the logo and the name would make the fury that we’re seeing IRL look like a child’s temper tantrum. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

48 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

You know how Chicago fans are pissed off because the team changed the logo?

Yeah, changing the logo and the name would make the fury that we’re seeing IRL look like a child’s temper tantrum. 

Oh I'm fully aware, but there have been some amazing rebrands of Chicago Fire since that terrible logo dropped and I wanted to try a different approach. 

i'd probably say San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Las Vegas and New Orleans for the West and then Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Tampa. Maybe readd the Cosmos and maybe add like a Jamaican team and Raleigh

1 minute ago, Eastport76 said:

So you moved the Canadian teams to the low-tier Canadian Premier League? 
So MLS is becoming to like the NFL? 

In this conceptual world of mine the CPL now supports 20 clubs and was doing well enough to attract the 3 MLS clubs. It's just about the most unlikely thing to ever happen, but that's why this is in the concepts section. 

22 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

In this conceptual world of mine the CPL now supports 20 clubs and was doing well enough to attract the 3 MLS clubs. It's just about the most unlikely thing to ever happen, but that's why this is in the concepts section. 

Well I loved your CPL concept logos. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

Evolutions of current clubs seems the most realistic, if that's your aim. Then again, I don't think there would be support for both Charlotte and Raleigh, and I chose Raleigh just because they kind of got screwed out of a franchise, so I'm not being entirely realistic.

rATMcmK.png

Realistic-ish scenarios here?

East:

Louisville

Indianapolis

Detroit

Milwaukee

Norfolk/Hampton Roads

Birmingham

Buffalo

West:

OKC

Phoenix

San Diego

Las Vegas

New Orleans

Albuquerque

I think some teams should take from lower-level brands, and some should be new if their lower-level brands suck. Also, I'd love to see your take on a Charlotte-branded team, rather than a Carolina one, since that's the direction the team seems to be taking. I understand if you don't want to, but I think you could do brilliantly with a name like Charlotte Town or Charlotte Monarchs.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Do you all think clubs should be evolutions of these cities' USL/NISA brands or unique brands? 

That depends upon the strength of the existing USL and NISA brands in each city. Personally, if I were undertaking such a project, there are a couple of markets you've listed where I feel the current team branding packages are so strong that I would leave them untouched. In others, I feel that tweaks could be made to the existing logos and/or names in order to improve them. Finally, there are some markets in which I would start from scratch.

To my mind, the Tampa Bay Rowdies name and word mark are sacrosanct. I feel that the name and font shouldn't be touched. In terms of a team name, they're not Tampa Bay Rowdies FC or Tampa Bay Rowdies SC. They are - simply put - the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Period. I also can't envision an adjustment to the word mark - even a "minor edit" - that would improve upon it. It is what it is... namely, a word mark in a unique font that has stood the test of time. So, that means you have to figure out a change to said brand that involves encompassing the word mark in a badge, or accenting it with some sort of ancillary symbols. Personally, I'd be hesitant to do that. It will be interesting to see how you handle it.

From a long-lived identity to a fairly new one - that of Las Vegas Lights FC. This team's identity doesn't have the longevity of the Rowdies, but it suits its market perfectly. Simple... straightforward... I love everything about. I suppose that the name Lights could be larger, but the current mark has such beautiful symmetry that I'd hate to disrupt it. 

I love the Indy Eleven name, the team's color palette, and the badge featuring the depiction of Lady Victory from the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument. Were I undertaking the project that you are, I simply do not know what I would opt to change there.

Oakland Roots Sports Club has a unique and dynamic identity. It doesn't necessarily strike me as being the branding for a sports franchise right off the bat, but I'd be hesitant to change too much - if anything - about it.

Finally, there's Phoenix Rising FC, which is another team with an outstanding identity, as is. 

Beyond that, in the remaining USL and NISA markets you've listed, everything's open to change. I appreciate aspects of Detroit City FC's identity (the use of the Spirit of Detroit statue is inspired), but I'm not swept away by it (I'd introduce Patina Green into the palette as a nod to the statue, color the depiction of the statue in Patina Green and Gold, and maintain Maroon as the background color within whatever containment shape is used for a badge). Personally, I'd blow up Louisville City FC (the name's not bad, but it's not great either; I could take or leave either of the purple-centered palettes they've sported; both logos have struck me as horrible). New Mexico United's identity is "meh" (the logo is solidly-rendered; their color palette doesn't strike me as fitting the market; I feel like Albuquerque, New Mexico should have a more market-specific identity). I could take or leave North Carolina FC's current branding package (more "meh" design). OKC Energy FC is a candidate for a complete makeover (the logo is solidly-rendered, but doesn't blow me away; the name is nothing to right home about). Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC would be one of my targets for a rebranding (the Riverhounds name needs to go - it sounds like a lazily-branded minor league baseball team). San Antonio FC needs to start from scratch. As for San Diego Loyal, I don't mind the color scheme, or the nod to Mission architecture in the upper portion of the containment shape, but the name has to go.

I'm interested in seeing where you go with this series.           

Archived