mcrosby

MLS by mcrosby - San Antonio added

I would suggest a Fiesta-themed colour scheme for San Antonio club. It really screams San Antonio. 

Edited by Eastport76

I'm not completely sold on this one, the Alamo is heavily used for SA, so I may end up trying something different. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of this first. If this isn't well received I might go with something along the lines of Fiesta SAFC

IGgzAf8.png

There is a minor league baseball team called the San Antonio Missions, but other than that it looks great

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I'm not completely sold on this one, the Alamo is heavily used for SA, so I may end up trying something different. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of this first. If this isn't well received I might go with something along the lines of Fiesta SAFC.

In fairness, the reason that an Alamo-centered theme is used by many businesses in San Antonio is that the Misión San Antonio de Valero - the Alamo Mission - is, without question, the defining symbol of the city. It's one of the most-visited historic attractions in the United States, and yo-yos back-and-forth with San Antonio's River Walk as the top tourist attraction in the State of Texas.

The badge you've created is quite attractive, but as sportsfan7 has pointed out, San Antonio's Triple-A baseball team already uses a mission-themed name and a more overt depiction of the Alamo in their logo. I'd retain your mark, but dub the team Alamo City FC. This would distance it from the baseball team's moniker, while also paying homage to a well-known nickname for San Antonio.    

3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I'm not completely sold on this one, the Alamo is heavily used for SA, so I may end up trying something different. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of this first. If this isn't well received I might go with something along the lines of Fiesta SAFC

IGgzAf8.png

I know the Alamo is pretty much overused for San Antonio sports teams, but... Alamo imagery is used EVERYWHERE in San Antonio. I was just down there on a daycation last weekend and you literally can't even turn your head without seeing the shape of it in some way. So this just fits. 

The only thing I'd change is the wordmark and add silver, but this looks good. 

15 hours ago, mcrosby said:

IGgzAf8.png

I'd consider using one of the other missions that are UNESCO heritage sites. The Alamo is well known but I think using one of the other mission fronts would fit inside the design a little better. 

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Mission-Trails/Home

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd consider using one of the other missions that are UNESCO heritage sites. The Alamo is well known but I think using one of the other mission fronts would fit inside the design a little better. 

https://www.sanantonio.gov/Mission-Trails/Home

You see, the problem there - at least as I see it - is that a San Antonio pro sports team already exists that's dubbed the Missions.

While centering the proposed San Antonio MLS team's badge around a depiction of the front of Mission Concepción, Mission Espada,  Mission San José, or Mission San Juan Capistrano would avoid said team sharing a visual reference with the city's Triple A baseball team, San Antonio Mission FC and the San Antonio Missions would still have very similar - indeed, one could say confusing given that their seasons overlap - nomenclature.

As the manner in which Mark has rendered the Alamo in his soccer crest is quite distinct from the way that the baseball team opted to illustrate  it in their logos (a spare silhouette versus more detailed depictions), it strikes me that it might be better for the teams to share a visual tie to the landmark structure, while adopting names that are unique. So, rather than dumping the Alamo silhouette from the soccer team's badge, go the route of renaming said club: Alamo City FCBexar County SC, San Antonio FC, etc.            

7 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

You see, the problem there - at least as I see it - is that a San Antonio pro sports team already exists that's dubbed the Missions.

While centering the proposed San Antonio MLS team's badge around a depiction of the front of Mission Concepción, Mission Espada,  Mission San José, or Mission San Juan Capistrano would avoid said team sharing a visual reference with the city's Triple A baseball team, San Antonio Mission FC and the San Antonio Missions would still have very similar - indeed, one could say confusing given that their seasons overlap - nomenclature.

As the manner in which Mark has rendered the Alamo in his soccer crest is quite distinct from the way that the baseball team opted to illustrate  it in their logos (a spare silhouette versus more detailed depictions), it strikes me that it might be better for the teams to share a visual tie to the landmark structure, while adopting names that are unique. So, rather than dumping the Alamo silhouette from the soccer team's badge, go the route of renaming said club: Alamo City FCBexar County SC, San Antonio FC, etc.            

Mission City FC would still separate them from the Missions as well. 

20 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Mission City FC would still separate them from the Missions as well. 

Though not nearly as much. Mission City isn't as distinct from San Antonio Missions as Alamo City, Bexar County, or any other word/word combo not containing Mission would be. The word Mission would still factor heavily into both teams names.

Perhaps an identity paying homage to San Antonio's long military history would be in order.

Today's Joint Base San Antonio is but the latest in a long line of military installations that have played an important role in the City of San Antonio's development. From the 1718 construction of the Presidio San Antonio de Béxar (built  to provide protection to the Misión San Antonio de Valero, as well as other nearby missions and settlements), to the 1870s development of the U.S. Army Quartermaster supply depot that would become Fort Sam Houston in 1890, to the establishment of military facilities including Kelly Field, Randolph Field, Brooke Army Medical Center, and Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio has earned the nickname "Military City USA".

What about something along the lines of San Antonio Valor FC or Valor San Antonio FC?