New CFL Uniforms 2020

Chewbacca

So facts never lie, I get it. But it still doesn't mean that some stuffed shirt in Calgary, cant say "You know, lets ditch the black and change back to the gray for a change". Nothing last forever, and change is good, and expect the unexpected.

Besides do you HONESTY know someone in Calgary that told you that they'll stay with black?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myself, I'm all for the Stampeders going back to just red and white.  Think of it like a modern version of the 1971 Grey Cup uniforms.

Unfortunately, I cannot make that happen.  I can't write a cheque to buy the Stampeders.  Many of us reading this topic have likely been watching CFL closely for decades.  Even observing sports uniforms for this and other sports, you can get the feeling when a change is imminent and what a team is leaning towards.

Feeling is that the black trim is not going away.  I can more realistically hope that the black pants go away.  Would like to see the white pants at home again and red pants on the road is fine.

7 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

So facts never lie, I get it. But it still doesn't mean that some stuffed shirt in Calgary, cant say "You know, lets ditch the black and change back to the gray for a change". Nothing last forever, and change is good, and expect the unexpected.

Besides do you HONESTY know someone in Calgary that told you that they'll stay with black?

I concede that I might be overstating that they will never ever go back to red and grey.  I'm sure that when they move into their new stadium, they might change uniforms, and consider dumping red and black for red and grey.

There are a couple different Schooners colours out in the world right now.

There's the originally reported blue and gold from 1984, the apparent morphing of that into black and gold (which I would say is the most commonly seen/known colour scheme), and then black and silver, blue and silver as well as blue and neon/lime green in unofficial/placeholder capacities.

The current actual Schooners ownership used blue in conjunction with the black and silver of the group that represents the Schooners at Grey Cup festivals.

GCF_App_Schooners1.jpg

That's not to say the current Schooners will take any notes from what is out there already, but it's worth noting I think.

IbjBaeE.png

On 1/11/2020 at 4:02 PM, M4One said:

Somebody saying that 'I think the Stampeders are going back to red/grey' isn't going to cut it.

Cut what? The minimum bar for being allowed to post an opinion on an internet page? 🤣

It won't be the suits in Calgary at all. I'm assuming after getting a handle on supplying the league last year, New Era want to put their stamp on things this year. A colour scheme change is a decent way to do that. Retro is still in. And I like the old red and grey look and think there's too much black  in the league. Therefore, I think NE could/would pitch that change to CSEC.

1 hour ago, jonny24 said:

Cut what? The minimum bar for being allowed to post an opinion on an internet page? 🤣

It won't be the suits in Calgary at all. I'm assuming after getting a handle on supplying the league last year, New Era want to put their stamp on things this year. A colour scheme change is a decent way to do that. Retro is still in. And I like the old red and grey look and think there's too much black  in the league. Therefore, I think NE could/would pitch that change to CSEC.

You said you think they will go back to red/grey without any reasoning/evidence as to why.  There has been nothing to indicate Calgary is dropping black.  New Era might want to put their stamp on the new uniforms, but it will still be up to the suits in Calgary to determine something as important as their colour scheme and the final product.  Had you simply said, I wish or hoped that Calgary goes back to red/grey, then I wouldn't have bothered responding.  

On 1/5/2020 at 10:30 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

The Lions made big strides in the uniforms last season with their awesome black helmets with the white-orange-white stripe and return to the BC Lion head logo on both sides and adding bordering to the jersey numbers. 

Now, it's time to replace the shoulder yokes with sleeve stripes and replace the orange pants with white ones for the home unis. Both the orange and black pants look great on the road ones.

*sticks a finger down his throat hoping to upchuck over the Lions new informs...

15 hours ago, M4One said:

You said you think they will go back to red/grey without any reasoning/evidence as to why.  

The evidence for me thinking something is that I thought it. ;) If I said it WILL happen, you could ask for something to back that up.

4 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

I dont mind the red / black color scheme for Calgary, just drop the black helmet and leave black as a trim color. Its bad enough that there's 2 teams with red and black as their team colors!

I have some good news for you!  The black helmet was dropped last year when the teams went with the one-shell rule.  It is just a red helmet now and was all of last season.

I think people are overestimating the significance of the Stamps and grey. They switched grey out for black in 1989 and have had a black alternate jersey since 1994. There's been absolutely no clamoring for a return to grey and it's not even like the red and grey is some beloved retro look either, unlike with the Flames, who are the "suits" in Calgary for the Stamps.

If CSEC is having trepidations about having the Flames going back to full-time retros with those jerseys being loved and a throwback to glory days of Flames history, there's no way CSEC is considering the Stamps going back to a colour scheme I would wager most people forgot about and being a throwback to a period where the team sucked and nearly folded.

For the record, here's how the Stamps colour history breaks down:

Yellow and (what's described as a) blueish-purple for 1945 - 1947 (I would not hate a throwback to these, partially just for the spectacle)

Red and white from 1948 - sometime in the 1970's

Red, grey and white from sometime in the 1970's - 1989

Red, black and white from 1989 - present

IbjBaeE.png

Archived