NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

Christian activist Dave Daubenmire (who was once sued as a football coach for forcing his public high school players to pray) is threatening to sue the NFL, Fox, and Pepsi for $867 trillion for the Super Bowl halftime show. He claims that the "revealing" outfits worn by Jennifer Lopez and Shakira were too titillating and "keeping [him] from getting into the kingdom of Heaven."

https://nypost.com/2020/02/07/minister-plans-to-sue-nfl-over-crotch-grabbing-halftime-show/

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/christian-activist-wants-to-sue-nfl-for-super-bowl-halftime-show/news-story/5e2350e932885ecb15ea5b6d385a2819

And you heard that right. $867 trillion. That's more money than exists on the entire planet.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IceCap said:

Christian activist Dave Daubenmire (who was once sued as a football coach for forcing his public high school players to pray) is threatening to sue the NFL, Fox, and Pepsi for $867 trillion for the Super Bowl halftime show. He claims that the "revealing" outfits worn by Jennifer Lopez and Shakira were too titillating and "keeping [him] from getting into the kingdom of Heaven."

https://nypost.com/2020/02/07/minister-plans-to-sue-nfl-over-crotch-grabbing-halftime-show/

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/christian-activist-wants-to-sue-nfl-for-super-bowl-halftime-show/news-story/5e2350e932885ecb15ea5b6d385a2819

And you heard that right. $867 trillion. That's more money than exists on the entire planet.

I've heard of this clown... To me, the judge should take one look at this and laugh as he puts the entire lawsuit in the shredder.

2 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I've heard of this clown... To me, the judge should take one look at this and laugh as he puts the entire lawsuit in the shredder.

Checked his Twitter. Pinned post is him promoting a Patreon that gets $138/mo. from 10 donors. 

Of course he's just looking for more money. Of :censored:ing course he is. And per this graphtreon chart, he's making a lot less per month now than he was back in September of 2018.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, IceCap said:

Let's be very clear about something: this is terrible theology. God's commands have nothing to do with demanding others to act or dress a certain way. They have everything to do with telling the Christian to become more like Christ. Nobody can keep you out of the Kingdom of Heaven except yourself (and that's only if you follow Arminian thought - a Reformed theologian would say that once you've been elected to discipleship that not even you could resist the grace of God). 

Not to turn the conversation where it's not supposed to go, but stuff like that is bunk attention mongering. 

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

All kinds of sports analysts are postulating that Rivers to the Colts makes sense. First, as a Colts fan let me say that I have negative interest in Rivers wearing the horseshoe, and the absolute value of that interest is 100.

Second, it makes zero sense. Ballard has shown a very future oriented, long term building approach to the Colts franchise so far, and I find it very unlikely that he'd want to take the team in the direction of putting an aging, declining Rivers at the helm of the offense.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

32 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Does this mean @IceCap is switching teams now?

28 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Only if Brady doesn't move to LA? 

I made an "announcement" of sorts in the main season NFL thread. I was switching to the Bucs as my team once the Chargers parted ways with Rivers. Rivers is the last player I have any real connection to as a fan from the team I grew up rooting for. Between the ill-advised move to LA and Spanos' overall ineptitude? I'm moving on.

33 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I made an "announcement" of sorts in the main season NFL thread. I was switching to the Bucs as my team once the Chargers parted ways with Rivers. Rivers is the last player I have any real connection to as a fan from the team I grew up rooting for. Between the ill-advised move to LA and Spanos' overall ineptitude? I'm moving on.

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

28 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Brady is also set to be a FA. 
But is there really any other team besides the Patriots that make sense for him?

What team is willing to sell out big money for a 43 year old QB coming off a mediocre season?

Ticket $$$$ ya'll. Having one of the greatest QBs of all time on your team? Who could want to prove that he can win rings anywhere? Energize a fanbase even if for just a season or two? I mean, the Chiefs were interested in Montana even though he hadn't really played for two seasons and was in his late 30s. Admittedly, that's a whole lot younger than 43, even. But Brady also hasn't had the injury history of even a lot of the younger QBs. 

MZnWkGU.png

57 minutes ago, IceCap said:

You know, I have a better fanbase you could join!

football-fans-denver-broncos.jpg&f=1&nof

Join us now! Be caught in the horrors of both honoring and despising St. Elway the Tall Guy Lover!

Monday Night Football to be "flexed" under new TV rights dead? and possibly return to ABC?

SBJ excerpt:

Any flex scheduling changes would not take effect until new media rights deals kick in, starting with the 2023 season. Even though the NFL has not started formal negotiations with any networks, ESPN has let it be known that it wants to incorporate flexible scheduling as part of a new “Monday Night Football” deal.

ESPN wants to be able to flex out of late-season games that carry no postseason implications, like the Dec. 24, 2018, matchup between the 6-8 Denver Broncos and the 3-11 Oakland Raiders, or the Week 10 matchup earlier that season between the 1-7 New York Giants and the 2-7 San Francisco 49ers.

As an added enticement, ESPN has told the NFL that it would put “Monday Night Football” back on ABC if it ends up with the rights. ESPN’s “Monday Night Football” deal ends after the 2021 season, one season before the league’s other media rights packages expire.

It’s not just ESPN, though. NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” likely wants more options. With some exceptions, the NFL typically announces its flex games for Sunday nights 12 days before kickoff, starting in Week 5. NBC likely wants that time frame to be moved up. The NFL can flex only two games into Sunday night between weeks 5 and 10, another point that NBC likely wants to be relaxed.

Most clubs’ concerns have centered around road trip logistics and expenses, particularly with any potential flex involving “Monday Night Football.” Flights and hotel rooms would have to be booked for an extra day to account for the unknown, or altered at the last minute, which could become exorbitant.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

So at that rate aren't you just trading one level of overall ineptitude for another?

2 minutes ago, tp49 said:

So at that rate aren't you just trading one level of overall ineptitude for another?

Yeah, but I never had a home town connection to the Chargers. And the LA move was peak ineptitude that brings all of Spanos' other failings into focus. With no hometown connection and now no connection as a fan with Rivers moving on? What's keeping me there?
With the Bucs? I've been watching with friends almost weekly each season the past three seasons. What can I say? It grows on you.

Archived