NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

51 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

I don't know how to feel about this. The 17 games seem inevitable to happen at some point, but 7-team playoffs? Another tweet said the NFL wants that this year, which would mean the #1 seed is the only team with a bye and another wildcard team would make it. I don't think I'm a fan. Watering down the playoffs seems pointless and a measly cash grab that will lessen the already-sometimes-questionable Wild Card round. 

21 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Because we need teams with a 7-9 record in the playoffs, right? 

Roger told the owners that he wanted to give them $25B in revenues by 2027 and an additional regular season week is easily worth $500M and and more international games and more playoff games is also more revenue, both gate and media.  Keep in mind that 41 of the Top 50 Broadcast Events in 2019 were NFL games!

From Jason LaCanfora:

his process has moved quietly at a swift and amicable pace since early 2019, as reported first by CBS Sports back at the February combine, with a goal of getting a new deal done before the start of the 2021 season. Sources said all of that remains on course, with the NFL showing a willingness to bend significantly on issues like the marijuana policy and commissioner's powers over off-field investigations, as reported at that time, and there has been a compelling argument made as well for the expanded season.

The proposal includes Week 1 still beginning after Labor Day, and the Super Bowl concluding the final Sunday of February (which could be bad news for The Oscars). It would allow the NFL to have playoff games on air throughout the month of February -- critical sweeps weeks for its broadcast partners -- and would include two byes for each team.

The additional game for each club would be played out-of-market, the sources said, with a heavy emphasis on key international locales like the United Kingdom (London and Ireland, in particular), Germany, Mexico and Brazil. It also opens the possibility of a full eight-game regular season schedule of games in London – something commissioner Roger Goodell is very supportive of -- with fans there able to buy a "season ticket," which would include at least two Jaguars games

Bolded by me.  Going that late will really change a LOT of the 2021 February sweeps, as well as NASCAR, NBA ASG and NHL ASG.

Edited by dfwabel

I don't care about NASCAR, or any ASG.  I just think that's too damn long to be playing football.  I kinda hate that it's already moved into February, but to think that we'd just be having the championship games this weekend?  Jesus.  

NFL is about as perfect as it gets from a scheduling and playoff perspective.  I don't think we'll see any more chances of a 7-9 team making it than before, because that should only happen if the 7-9 team wins the division.  I can't imagine a wild card team - even the extra one - being below 8-8 (though even that shouldn't qualify.)

I don't care too much about the extra regular season game, except that the tradeoff is an extra bye, which is how we get to the extra 3 weeks of games.  Actually... that math doesn't make sense - that should "only" add 2 weeks... not 3.  Where's the extra week come from?

So I thought the players were against a 17-game schedule? Also, we already have most teams clinching playoff berths and divisions by Week 17. No one is going to care about which 9-7 9-8 team is going to get in as a 7th seed come mid-January. I know that more games equals more revenue, but they don't need to fix things that aren't broken. The 16-game schedule is fine as is and so is the current playoff format.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

He was previously cut by them in a roster manipulation move last August, so the last regime didn't think much of him.

That said, neither him nor his colleagues were told of or read about Bam Morris, or Nate Newton. He was 10 when Nate went to the Bing.

8 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

So I thought the players were against a 17-game schedule? Also, we already have most teams clinching playoff berths and divisions by Week 17. No one is going to care about which 9-7 9-8 team is going to get in as a 7th seed come mid-January. I know that more games equals more revenue, but they don't need to fix things that aren't broken. The 16-game schedule is fine as is and so is the current playoff format.

the commissioner’s job is to make money for the owners. That’s why he’s employees despite fumbling almost every major issue that’s occurred during his tenure. 

Both sides claim to care about safety, but honestly, neither does. I don’t believe for a minute that the players really care like they say - it’s all about negotiating, and getting a higher cut in exchange for putting themselves “at risk” for that extra game. 

At the end of the day, like the overwhelming majority of businesses, it’s about money, and this makes both sides more money, so they’re all happy. We will adjust, and the next generation will find an 8-8 final record just as weird as I find a 7-7 final record when I look back. 

I’d suggest that this is the end - the point where it’s at maximum saturation, and they can’t add any more, but they’ll figure out a way. 

don't mind Monday Night Football going back to ABC (should have never left in the first place since ABC/ESPN are a part of Disney).  the flex games i am somewhat OK with (how many games at the end of the season on MNF are bad teams playing) but they will find a way to screw it up.  

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

don't mind Monday Night Football going back to ABC (should have never left in the first place since ABC/ESPN are a part of Disney).  the flex games i am somewhat OK with (how many games at the end of the season on MNF are bad teams playing) but they will find a way to screw it up.  

How far out can they announce flex games for Sundays? I'd add at least another week on to that for Monday night games if they sign off on this. Personally, I think flexing a Sunday game to Monday night is stupid and shouldn't happen. There's a difference between a kickoff being moved 6 hours back and a game being moved a full day ahead from Monday to Sunday. 

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

How far out can they announce flex games for Sundays? I'd add at least another week on to that for Monday night games if they sign off on this. Personally, I think flexing a Sunday game to Monday night is stupid and shouldn't happen. There's a difference between a kickoff being moved 6 hours back and a game being moved a full day ahead from Monday to Sunday. 

The announcement of a flex game comes no later than 12 days prior to the game, with the exception of Week 17.

Since flexing starts as early as Week 5, it probably still the same 12 day window, since you would prefer to choose two unbeaten teams (if available). 

The 17 games schedule is a head scratcher to me and will put teams at a disadvantage every other year. Some teams will only have 8 home games & some teams will have 9 home games. Historically the home team wins 60% of the time with playoff teams actually winning 75% of the time on average. That makes no sense for a competitive advantage be given each year to half the league. The extra playoff team does not matter to me because it actually gives the team with the best record the only advantage in the playoffs of having a bye.

19 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

The 17 games schedule is a head scratcher to me and will put teams at a disadvantage every other year. Some teams will only have 8 home games & some teams will have 9 home games. Historically the home team wins 60% of the time with playoff teams actually winning 75% of the time on average. That makes no sense for a competitive advantage be given each year to half the league. The extra playoff team does not matter to me because it actually gives the team with the best record the only advantage in the playoffs of having a bye.

Read it again. That’s not how it’s going to be.  

42 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

Ideally, teams will play 8 home, 8 away, plus one neutral site game.

If not, it had been reported that the 9th home game would alternate between the conferences.  One year the AFC would get the additional game, the NFC the next year.  The Park Avenue office has thought about fairness in a 17-game schedule. 

The Big Ten, Big XII, and Pac 12 all play a nine-game conference schedule with half the teams with only four home conference games and all they seem to manage.

Edited by dfwabel

54 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

34 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Read it again. That’s not how it’s going to be.  

So how is the 17th game being handled?  Is it really going to be 8 home/9 road and vice versa in alternating years?

• officeglenn changed the title to NFL Offseason Thread