NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So IF the PLAYERS approve, you think the PLAYERS would just not show up for the game they just agreed to?  

most of the time that game won’t be meaningless, because of the extra playoff spot.   They don’t honestly care about safety. 

how old are you?  

We have more & more players retiring early, some barely in their 30s. Players are starting to care about their health now more than ever. 

If it isn't the players not wanting to play, then it's the coaches that would bench them because no coach is going to risk their players getting injured right before the playoffs with no bye week

7 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

he thinks dudes will not fly on the team charter to the away game.

Protip: It's not a good look when you have to blatantly lie about what someone said. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Then give an answer.  You avoided it like you think players will avoid Game 17

Answer to what? I said (hypothetically) that if this new schedule passed as is, players would be pissed about and try to avoid playing an extra game when they aren't getting paid as much for it, risking injury after an already long season & right before the playoffs (when only 1 team has a bye), and when the game is potentially meaningless. 

You & BBTV are acting like that's something ludicrous when players are already mocking how insane the proposal is. 

And yeas I know what the CBA is, which is why if you were paying attention, I said the players would likely be more in favor of an expanded playoffs rather than a 17 game season. 

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

That's why I said "if they even approved it". 

That obliviously won't.   

I can see them maybe agreeing to the playoff expansion. But no way in hell do any of them want to play an extra game that most of the time will be meaningless. 

That is not what you wrote, B.

You wrote "if" not "even if". If it is approved, they are going to play, like every week with trepidation. 

If they approved, it they are not sitting out.  Tell me and BBTV which guys sat out or retired from the first year of the last CBA because they voted against it. Who were they?

You mentioned potential free agents not playing, but free agent QBs will for sure play. This season, Mariotta, Winston, Tannehill, and other younger QBs wold love to showcase one last time. 

38 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

That is not what you wrote, B.

You wrote "if" not "even if". If it is approved, they are going to play, like every week with trepidation

Are you seriously trying to argue semantics? 

39 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If they approved, it they are not sitting out.  Tell me and BBTV which guys sat out or retired from the first year of the last CBA because they voted against it. Who were they?

You mentioned potential free agents not playing, but free agent QBs will for sure play. This season, Mariotta, Winston, Tannehill, and other younger QBs wold love to showcase one last time. 

Now you're just talking nonsense. Were these proposals even on the table last CBA? Were they passed? Obviously not.

And you think guys like Brady, Roethlisberger, & Rodgers would be eager to play an extra regular season game? Especially given the possibility they won't have a playoff bye? 

51 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

32 teams, 16 games, 6 team playoff works out almost perfectly mathematically. I like the neatness of how the schedule works now. 17 games and one more team in the playoffs? Chaos, man, utter chaos. 

Yeah, as arbitrary as it seems ... I hate the thought of a team not being able to finish a season at .500 (well I guess with a tie it'd be possible?).

Also, how do they divvy out the home and road teams of the 17th game? AFC home (odd years) NFC home (even years). Personally, if the NFL is going to try to expand I would use that 17th game as a London and Mexico City game. You could sell season passes for 8 games like other NFL markets.

Lots to digest if this passes.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, kimball said:

Yeah, as arbitrary as it seems ... I hate the thought of a team not being able to finish a season at .500 (well I guess with a tie it'd be possible?).

Also, how do they divvy out the home and road teams of the 17th game? AFC home (odd years) NFC home (even years). Personally, if the NFL is going to try to expand I would use that 17th game as a London and Mexico City game. You could sell season passes for 8 games like other NFL markets.

Lots to digest if this passes.

This seems like the fairest way to do it. Although the NFL has always played favorites when it comes to scheduling. I could see them giving teams like New England, Pittsburgh and Dallas an extra home game every year. 

12 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Are you seriously trying to argue semantics? 

Now you're just talking nonsense. Were these proposals even on the table last CBA? Were they passed? Obviously not.

And you think guys like Brady, Roethlisberger, & Rodgers would be eager to play an extra regular season game? Especially given the possibility they won't have a playoff bye? 

How is it any different than today?  If their seed is wrapped up, they'll probably rest just like they do today.  If they're still fighting for the #1 seed, or a division title, then they'll play hard. If they're having a disappointing season for some reason, but get hot at the very end and have an extra chance at the playoffs due to the extra team, then of course they'll want to play.  If there's a marginal guy that wants to have another game to show himself so he can earn a bigger contract the next season, then he'll gladly play. 

You specifically said that if it gets approved, the players will intentionally sit, even though they, as a union, would be the ones approving.

Seriously, just stop.  Every post is just getting worse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

58 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How is it any different than today?  If their seed is wrapped up, they'll probably rest just like they do today.  If they're still fighting for the #1 seed, or a division title, then they'll play hard. If they're having a disappointing season for some reason, but get hot at the very end and have an extra chance at the playoffs due to the extra team, then of course they'll want to play.  If there's a marginal guy that wants to have another game to show himself so he can earn a bigger contract the next season, then he'll gladly play. 

You specifically said that if it gets approved, the players will intentionally sit, even though they, as a union, would be the ones approving.

Seriously, just stop.  Every post is just getting worse.

Because what players definitely need is an extra game risking injury, especially with playoff implication, and no bye week. 

Seriously, How was I supposed to know you'd get so bent out of shape over a simple hypothetical (made in just).

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Because what players definitely need is an extra game risking injury, especially with playoff implication, and no bye week. 

Seriously, How was I supposed to know you'd get so bent out of shape over a simple hypothetical (made in just).

They’d be the ones approving it, they have no legitimate reason to sit out since they are the ones that are Collectively Bargaining with the league 

9 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

17 game schedule looks like it may be DOA anyway. Especially with the hare-brained idea to cap 17th game pay at a quarter million/game. 

The 16 game schedule is not only not broken, but its damn near perfect. So why even try to "fix" it?

Because they could somehow make 15 Billion more dollars somehow

The NFL's almost hit the point where there's just too much of it, if not already. You have your regular early/late games on Sunday; Sunday nights; Monday nights, Thursday night; even Saturday when the college season is over. That's four out of seven days every week. Plus the NFL Network all day, every day, if you need to catch up on every minute bit of the offseason. Part of the allure of the NFL used to be it was a couple nights a week a few months a year. Now you almost can't get away from it. 

This always happens. Something like this comes up, ESPN goes directly to the multi-millionaire big name players, who by the way have endorsements and loads of cash in the bank, those guys say how unfair it looks to them.  But the average rank and file guys are looking at the 2 or 3 year cash grab that the NFL is to them, and they need to make that money, and aren't going to get a chance to regain it if they sit out.  Guys like JJ Watt aren't the ones who decide these things.

Archived