BringBackTheVet

NFL Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

If there's no NFL season this year due to COVID-19, what's gonna happen to all these one year deals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, JayMac said:

I know nothing about South Carolina besides where it is on a map but this feels like this would be akin to the Braves moving to the sticks in Cobb County. 

True, but if any sport can handle being outside of a downtown core its football.  Also, Rock Hill isn't terribly far from Charlotte proper if my memory serves me.  Charlotte hugs the border

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If there's no NFL season this year due to COVID-19, what's gonna happen to all these one year deals?

 

There may be language in the CBA that covers prolonged outages - especially since this situation was unfolding right around the time it was agreed to.

 

Short of that, both sides would have to agree to some kind of solution.  My guess is that the lost year would count as service time - similar to how baseball is doing it - and those guys would become FAs again.  The players may or may not want that, but probably not, since they're unlikely to get any type of salary in a cancelled season, so those guys would want to be paid for the year that they signed on for.  Also for the players, a 33 year old would then be 34, and unlikely to sign for the same amount he did at 33 (especially since the cap would very likely drop.)

 

For the owners, they'd prbably want it to count as a service year for that very reason - they're not getting the 29-year old that they signed - they're now getting a 30 year old, who in theory, may have lost a step.

 

Hopefully it's a moot discussion... but it likely will need to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

If there's no NFL season this year due to COVID-19, what's gonna happen to all these one year deals?

 

The NFL canceling the season I think is a last resort option for them.  They will either delay a month, play a reduced schedule or play games with no fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

 

The NFL canceling the season I think is a last resort option for them.  They will either delay a month, play a reduced schedule or play games with no fans.  

 

It's probably not going to be their decision to make.  Even playing in empty arenas isn't an option in many places right now.  They're just going  to follow the guidance and local mandates that everyone else is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

It's probably not going to be their decision to make.  Even playing in empty arenas isn't an option in many places right now.  They're just going  to follow the guidance and local mandates that everyone else is.

 

What will also happen is certain jurisdictions will be ready to reassimilate sooner than others. NYC's recovery will take longer than, say, Seattle or SF where some say the curve has already been flattened due to aggressive social distancing measures.

 

If SEC country continues to keep business (and churches) open, there's a strong possibility NCAA football can't move forward even if/while NFL football does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

What will also happen is certain jurisdictions will be ready to reassimilate sooner than others. NYC's recovery will take longer than, say, Seattle or SF where some say the curve has already been flattened due to aggressive social distancing measures.

 

If SEC country continues to keep business (and churches) open, there's a strong possibility NCAA football can't move forward even if/while NFL football does.

 

Where did you hear about the curve flattening in Seattle or SF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one knows if the curve is flattening or anything really because there aren’t enough tests

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

 

Where did you hear about the curve flattening in Seattle or SF?

 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/seattle-washington-state-coronavirus-transmission-rate.html

 

Quote

SEATTLE — The Seattle area, home of the first known coronavirus case in the United States and the place where the virus claimed 37 of its first 50 victims, is now seeing evidence that strict containment strategies, imposed in the earliest days of the outbreak, are beginning to pay off — at least for now.

 

Deaths are not rising as fast as they are in other states. Dramatic declines in street traffic show that people are staying home. Hospitals have so far not been overwhelmed. And preliminary statistical models provided to public officials in Washington State suggest that the spread of the virus has slowed in the Seattle area in recent days.

 

While each infected person was spreading the virus to an average of 2.7 other people earlier in March, that number appears to have dropped, with one projection suggesting that it was now down to 1.4.

 

The researchers who are preparing the latest projections, led by the Institute for Disease Modeling, a private research group in Bellevue, Wash., have been watching a variety of data points since the onset of the outbreak. They include tens of thousands of coronavirus test results, deaths, and mobility information — including traffic patterns and the movements of anonymous Facebook users — to estimate the rate at which coronavirus patients are spreading the disease to others.

 

The progress is precarious, and the data, which was still being analyzed and has yet to be published, is uncertain. Officials said that expansive social distancing policies will remain a key part of daily life for weeks to come.

 

All uncertain, yes, but there are some positive notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 4:22 PM, JayMac said:

I know nothing about South Carolina besides where it is on a map but this feels like this would be akin to the Braves moving to the sticks in Cobb County. 

 

To me -- and to use examples from within the NFL's history -- a move of the Panthers from Charlotte proper to a nearby locale in South Carolina would be most comparable to first the Giants and then the Jets leaving not only the City of New York, but also the State of New York, to play in the northeast corner of New Jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock Hill isn't that far from Charlotte when compared to the Braves move to Cobb County or the Giants/Jets moves to NJ, but it's far enough (~25 minutes from the current stadium) for it to be a bad idea.

 

I haven't lived in Rock Hill in 10 years, but most of my friends and family still live in the area. Charlotte traffic isn't as bad as Atlanta (yet), but there's still a significant rush hour (assuming game day traffic would be similar) and there's no light rail from Charlotte to Fort Mill/Rock Hill. There are talks of it being extended south along with the Panthers' training facility (and possible stadium), but we're talking 2030 at the absolute earliest.

 

To compare, the proposed site for the stadium is about 5-6 miles further away from Charlotte than the Knights old ballpark - which is now demolished and is now home to... absolutely nothing. It's an empty field. The "original plan" for the Panthers stadium was to have it in both states with the 50 yard line as the border (which would've been simultaneously awesome and cheesy), the proposed new site is about 9 miles south.

 

It would be a terrible idea and it's probably not going to happen - unless there's going to be another pendulum swing back to stadiums/arenas in the suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot, Rock Hill isn't even a whole 30 miles from Mint Street, so no it's not that far, distance wise. Now, the question I have is would people in Mecklenburg County want to make that drive just to get to the game? I mean, I know Windom is a little ways out from downtown Buffalo (10 miles or so as the crow flies), but that would be something different. I mean, maybe more people from the SC side might decide to make the trek to the state line on Sundays if it was closer to them--I don't know, I ain't a Carolinian, I just pass through them on occasion.

 

On 3/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, JayMac said:

I know nothing about South Carolina besides where it is on a map but this feels like this would be akin to the Braves moving to the sticks in Cobb County. 

 

The "sticks"? The new Braves Stadium sits literally at the junction of 75 and 285--hardly "out in the sticks" as far as ATL is concerned. A better comparo would be more like if the Falcons moved up to, say, Cartersville or Calhoun or somewhere in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. Seven playoff teams? Maybe when you have a division champion with a losing record that can mitigate it a bit but how often does that really happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Ugh. Seven playoff teams? Maybe when you have a division champion with a losing record that can mitigate it a bit but how often does that really happen?

 

Happened twice. 2010 Seattle Seahawks (7-9). They won their playoff game against the Saints. It was the game that put Arrowhead on notice that there was a competitor for the loudest stadium in the NFL by causing an earthquake. What caused this? The touchdown run that transformed Marshawn Lynch from draft bust to Beast Mode. And the 2014 Carolina Panthers (7-8-1). Beat a sputtering Arizona Cardinals team in a laugher.

 

It's happened and both times, said teams have proven that they belong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 3:33 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

If SEC country continues to keep business (and churches) open, there's a strong possibility NCAA football can't move forward even if/while NFL football does.

They've kept the same things open that everyone else has. Texas has left it to the counties to set restrictions in place and almost all of them have, with every large city locking down all but the most important personnel, but allowing people to take care of necessary things like grocery shopping. Unfortunately they still have people that can't follow rules and people view that as the opinion of a a whole area. Heck, a bunch of college students flew to Mexico for spring break and half came back infected because they were told Mexico was not having the same impact as occurred in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They've kept the same things open that everyone else has. Texas has left it to the counties to set restrictions in place and almost all of them have, with every large city locking down all but the most important personnel, but allowing people to take care of necessary things like grocery shopping. Unfortunately they still have people that can't follow rules and people view that as the opinion of a a whole area. Heck, a bunch of college students flew to Mexico for spring break and half came back infected because they were told Mexico was not having the same impact as occurred in the US.

 

I think much more conversation on this topic will get a MOD EDIT, but governors of Alabama and Mississippi were pretty loudly flouting shelter-in-place suggestions last week, and in point of fact, overruling the direction of local officials.

 

But, things are changing quickly and hopefully common sense is prevailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, TBGKon said:

True, but if any sport can handle being outside of a downtown core its football.  Also, Rock Hill isn't terribly far from Charlotte proper if my memory serves me.  Charlotte hugs the border

It really doesn't. It makes up most of Mecklenburg County, but Uptown is a good 15-ish miles from Rock Hill. 77 just isn't built to handle rush hour traffic like that. There would have to be a massive expansion of it, which would take years. 

On 3/30/2020 at 6:39 PM, Walk-Off said:

 

To me -- and to use examples from within the NFL's history -- a move of the Panthers from Charlotte proper to a nearby locale in South Carolina would be most comparable to first the Giants and then the Jets leaving not only the City of New York, but also the State of New York, to play in the northeast corner of New Jersey.

It's similar. Rock Hill is technically in the Charlotte metro, but it's not at all where the people are concentrated. The people in the CLT metro are in Uptown and the surrounding Mecklenburg County. This would be like putting the team in Matthews, which is a similar distance away but also not at all where you want to put a massive football stadium.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:22 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Rock Hill isn't that far from Charlotte when compared to the Braves move to Cobb County or the Giants/Jets moves to NJ, but it's far enough (~25 minutes from the current stadium) for it to be a bad idea.

 

I haven't lived in Rock Hill in 10 years, but most of my friends and family still live in the area. Charlotte traffic isn't as bad as Atlanta (yet), but there's still a significant rush hour (assuming game day traffic would be similar) and there's no light rail from Charlotte to Fort Mill/Rock Hill. There are talks of it being extended south along with the Panthers' training facility (and possible stadium), but we're talking 2030 at the absolute earliest.

 

To compare, the proposed site for the stadium is about 5-6 miles further away from Charlotte than the Knights old ballpark - which is now demolished and is now home to... absolutely nothing. It's an empty field. The "original plan" for the Panthers stadium was to have it in both states with the 50 yard line as the border (which would've been simultaneously awesome and cheesy), the proposed new site is about 9 miles south.

 

It would be a terrible idea and it's probably not going to happen - unless there's going to be another pendulum swing back to stadiums/arenas in the suburbs.

Exactly. The Knights attendance jumped from bad to literally the best in the minors when they moved Uptown. A light rail to SC is almost laughable at this point given how long it's taken to even extend it to UNCC. Plus, they'd want to extend it further along down 74 first, with Matthews being as far south they're willing to go right now, if I recall correctly. Charlotte might not be Atlanta bad yet, but 485 and 74 are absolutely awful and 77 is getting there as well. I think no matter the money they'd make in tax breaks they'd lose a similar amount from just how good of a location the Bank is right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was browsing Cameo and thought their "featured in football" was a hoot:

3fYX2Sj.png

 

Featured in baseball is a real mind:censored:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2020 at 3:25 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

 

It's probably not going to be their decision to make.  Even playing in empty arenas isn't an option in many places right now.  They're just going  to follow the guidance and local mandates that everyone else is.

 

If the 2020 NFL Season is canceled, I believe that the XFL will never return, despite their claims that they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.