NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

1 hour ago, Maroon&Gold said:

What are the chances that Burrow's career follows a similar path as Carson Palmer's? Solid QB able to put up MVP stats some seasons but organizational ineptitude holds him back until he can find at least a mediocre franchise and then light it up.

I like his chances better than Palmer's because....

I don't think a team without a GM can compete in the NFL today

Good thing they have a "GM" then. Their "GM"'s name is Duke Tobin. He's responsible for the roster that made the playoffs 6 times in a 7 year stretch and he's responsible for the free agents they acquired this offseason. He'll be responsible for building the offense around Burrow. He's a GM in every way except in title. I honestly trust him more than 2/3 of the other GMs in the NFL. 

And I like Burrow's chances better now than Palmer's in 2003 because Tobin wasn't in that decision-making position in 2003 when they were probably the worst franchise in North American professional sports. Back then their GM was Mike Brown, who hasn't been involved in day to day operations for a few years now.

I'd take the 2019 Bengals situation over the 2002 Bengals situation 100 times out of 100. The 2002 Bengals might be the worst NFL team I've ever seen. The 2019 Bengals are a 6-10 team who lost 14 games. They have way more offensive talent than what Palmer walked into in his rookie year. 

unless you're a historic franchise in a city people want to live in.

Cincinnati is, believe it or not, a great place to live and it's a way better place to live than it was in 2003. This isn't Carson Palmer coming to a city he's not from and has no ties to. For all intents and purposes Joe Burrow is a local and isn't scared off by working here. 

I think Burrow should have told Mike Brown not to draft him, and now that he's going to be in Cincy, he shouldn't sign any contract past his rookie year. off

So he can play for the exemplar of football excellence that is the Miami Dolphins? One of the things I love about this dude is that he wouldn't do something like that and is excited by a challenge. It's not in his nature to do that and he and Zac Taylor reportedly hit it off using the maximum phone time allowed to discuss the offense. C. The rookie contract is 4 years. He can't sign a contract for fewer years than that. 

I really hope I'm wrong

I think you are. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sport said:

Good thing they have a "GM" then. Their "GM"'s name is Duke Tobin. He's responsible for the roster that made the playoffs 6 times in a 7 year stretch and he's responsible for the free agents they acquired this offseason. He'll be responsible for building the offense around Burrow. He's a GM in every way except in title. I honestly trust him more than 2/3 of the other GMs in the NFL. 

And I like Burrow's chances better now than Palmer's in 2003 because Tobin wasn't in that decision-making position in 2003 when they were probably the worst franchise in North American professional sports. Back then their GM was Mike Brown, who hasn't been involved in day to day operations for a few years now.

I'd take the 2019 Bengals situation over the 2002 Bengals situation 100 times out of 100. The 2002 Bengals might be the worst NFL team I've ever seen. The 2019 Bengals are a 6-10 team who lost 14 games. They have way more offensive talent than what Palmer walked into in his rookie year. 

Cincinnati is, believe it or not, a great place to live and it's a way better place to live than it was in 2003. This isn't Carson Palmer coming to a city he's not from and has no ties to. For all intents and purposes Joe Burrow is a local and isn't scared off by working here. 

So he can play for the exemplar of football excellence that is the Miami Dolphins? One of the things I love about this dude is that he wouldn't do something like that and is excited by a challenge. It's not in his nature to do that and he and Zac Taylor reportedly hit it off using the maximum phone time allowed to discuss the offense. C. The rookie contract is 4 years. He can't sign a contract for fewer years than that. 

I think you are. 

I'm really glad to hear all that. So many years of frustration needs to pay off for you guys and I hope it's Mr. Ohio that does it for you

34 minutes ago, Sport said:

I'd take the 2019 Bengals situation over the 2002 Bengals situation 100 times out of 100. The 2002 Bengals might be the worst NFL team I've ever seen. The 2019 Bengals are a 6-10 team who lost 14 games. They have way more offensive talent than what Palmer walked into in his rookie year. 

I think you are. 

Alright. I'm interested. What pieces does Joe Burrow have aside from maybe a recovered AJ Green to work with?

17 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Alright. I'm interested. What pieces does Joe Burrow have aside from maybe a recovered AJ Green to work with?

Aside from AJ Green, they have Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, John Ross, Joe Mixon, Gio Bernard, CJ Uzomah. They got some guys. And Jonah Williams, last year's first round pick, should help their offensive line issues. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, Sport said:

Aside from AJ Green, they have Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, John Ross, Joe Mixon, Gio Bernard, CJ Uzomah. They got some guys. And Jonah Williams, last year's first round pick, should help their offensive line issues. 

So, you're thinking they might go 8-8 or 9-7?

I'd like to see that, actually. And, the moment I can, I'm going to Vegas to put some money on the Bengals as a dark horse candidate.

Because, I've seen this situation play out with the Chiefs in both 2010 and 2013. The first time turned out to be a fluke, the second time was something more sustainable. Of course, that's the difference between having Todd Haley and Scott Pioli as a coach/GM combo versus Andy Reid and John Dorsey. So, the sustainability of this success is a concern to me.

With the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select.....Joe Burrow, QB LSU.

Right after that pick is announced, both Mike Florio and Dan Patrick will pose the questions: now that Joe Burrow was drafted by the Bengals, will he now demand a trade?  Will he hold out and not show up for training camp?

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

So, you're thinking they might go 8-8 or 9-7?

I'd like to see that, actually. 

Wouldn't surprise me. Their issue was an all-time bad defense that couldn't get off the field and put too much pressure on a marginal offense. They just spent money, like actual NFL team money, on free agents in the offseason. They lost every close game they played in last year and there's a reason for that, but two of those losses were historically improbable, two of their losses were directly due to seeing what Ryan Finley could do at QB - games Andy Dalton would've probably won, and they won two games. Flip two of those one-score losses with a better D back their way and all of a sudden they're an 8-8 football team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hope someone hacks the chat feature of the video conference so we can see all the:

Mike Brown to Joe Burrow

Mike>"Hey Joe Burrow... welcome to Cincinnati!"

Joe>"LOL no"

Mike>"what's your addy so we can send teh playbook"

Joe>"123 fake st..."

Jon Gruden to Ron Rivera

Jon>"hey ronny pal whats happening hey I'll give you Carr, Agholar, and our 1 for your 1"

Ron>"hahaha carr is old and sucks, give me you 1 next year lol carr."

Ron>"hahahahahahaha"

Ron>"hope your well buddy"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Roger Goddell: With the 1st pick of the 2020 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select.....Joe Burrow QB, LSU

Burrow to ESPN: I am happy the Bengals chose me, and I am happy to play for them. 

Mike Florio, Friday Morning on Pro Football Talk: Will Joe Burrow demand a trade from the Bengals?  I say yes,  What do you say Chris Simms?

Chris Simms: Did you not hear what Burrow said?  He said he is happy to play for them.  

Is this really live?  Or are they doing it on a big delay so that they can "produce" it, or compensate for any glitches?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this really live?  Or are they doing it on a big delay so that they can "produce" it, or compensate for any glitches?

There are too many people involved for it to be on any real significant delay. In Chase Young's living room, there were people presumably posting photos to IG or Snapchat right with the announcement; results of a delayed draft would be all over by now.

I'm impressed by the production so far, TBH. I like the fan wall behind Goodell, but I'm a little surprised that dope is still using cue cards.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I hope they secretely put in a uniform-change notice last year so that we only have to watch him play in their awful clown suits for one season.

I can't believe that I still think of their costumes as their "new uniforms", even though they've had them for 16 awful years.

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There are too many people involved for it to be on any real significant delay. In Chase Young's living room, there were people presumably posting photos to IG or Snapchat right with the announcement; results of a delayed draft would be all over by now.

I'm impressed by the production so far, TBH. I like the fan wall behind Goodell, but I'm a little surprised that dope is still using cue cards.

Is there no Mel Kiper tonight?  I know they said Todd McShay was out. There needs to be an NFL guy to discuss these picks. The college guys aren't equipped to talk about player fit or team needs.

Overall the whole production is pretty good, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Why the F is that goober Gettlemen putting on a facemask whilst in his office by himself? 

3 minutes ago, See Red said:

Is there no Mel Kiper tonight?  I know they said Todd McShay was out. There needs to be an NFL guy to discuss these picks. The college guys aren't equipped to talk about player fit or team needs.

Overall the whole production is pretty good, though.

Unfortunately yes, Mel Kiper Jr is there. Hopefully being used at a reduced rate.

I’d rather listen to nails on a chalkboard.

Archived