NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I can't remember ever reading / listening to as much vitriol as I am right now.  If not for stay-at-home orders and social distancing, the Nova Care Center would be on fire right now.  This is ugly, even by Philly standards.

It's good that it happened this year since they'll probably be playing in empty stadiums.  He seems like a good kid, but he's going to be the conduit between the angry fans and the management, and he's going to be slaughtered and it has nothing to do with him personally or anything he did.

EWaXGlnWAAAfyQx?format=jpg&name=medium

THE (obviously NSFW) MOMENT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

9 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I’d be willing to bet Philly is gonna pull a Taysom Hill with Jalen Hurts.

Which is ridiculous.  Picking a gadget guy in the 2nd round is a luxury you have if the rest of your team is perfect.  The Eagles are very good, but have a lot of needs - whether it's someone that can start at linebacker, general depth, or a center to at least try and replace Jason Kelce when he retires.

Their offense is fine, as long as their receiver pans out, and Deshawn Jackson can play even 50% of snaps.  They're not rich enough to waste picks on gadget players, or just to "develop" a guy to trade him later.

EDIT: I didn't post the EDP video because it's just not that good.  He really let me down.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So Philly drafted Hurts instead of keeping 200 year old Josh McCown.

The 40-year-old McCown doesn't want to play anymore.  He didn't even want to play last year, they had to talk him into it.

Also, he ripped his hamstring in the playoff game where that criminal Jadeveon Clow - screw it, he doesn't deserve the respect of me using his last name - speared Carson Wentz in the skull, knocking him out and perpetuating the whole "injury prone" narrative, which maybe lead to this pick.

So basically, Jasomething something caused all this mess.  Hope his neck snaps in two.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love that he has a "normal" house and just has two laptops, a cup of coffee, and maybe some pens on his table, while the other GMs have 14 monitors, 6 phones, Red Bull, and executive chairs.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

I love that he has a "normal" house and just has two laptops, a cup of coffee, and maybe some pens on his table, while the other GMs have 14 monitors, 6 phones, Red Bull, and executive chairs.

Did you see Kliff Kingsbury's house? He seems like he's coaching NFL on the side while his first love is attracting European supermodels. That guy is way too cool for the NFL.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Jerry Jones made the Cowboys picks....on his yacht.

22 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Some owners teach their dog how to fetch. 

Bill Belichick teaches his dog how to draft. 

I did enjoy Belichick's home setting for the draft though.  He doesn't need fancy stuff.  It's why he's the greatest coach of the current era.

That's been said by everyone since the pick was made - and it's stupid.

1) Reinventing the wheel has never worked.  When was the last time a team that relied on gimmicks won anything?  The most successful teams - including the Super Bowl LII Champion Philadelphia Eagles, who demolished the 6x Champion Patriots - rely on one QB, and tried-and-true play (with the occasional trick play, of course).

2) It only works if Hurts can also play receiver or RB.  Otherwise, there's no threat.  What are they gonna do - have them stand next to each other and snap it to one or the other?  Do the stupid "pass behind the LOS to the WR who then passes it... but usually gets tackled for a loss?"  It's stupid.

3) If they try "packages", that's even more stupid.  If you have 2 QBs, then you don't have 1 that you believe in, and neither gets in a rhythm.

Again - the only way this makes sense is if they truly believe that Wentz's injuries aren't just flukes, and that he's simply not likely to play a full season, so they want a "second" (not "backup") QB ready to go.  Even then, using a 2nd round pick for him, is godsdamned insane.

EDIT:

They tried to defend it by claiming that they're a "QB factory", and that "developing QBs is what they do", and they're good at drafting guys and flipping them later for better picks, and used a few examples of guys they drafted in the 4th or 5th round, and then flipped for a #2.  Here's the thing - HE WAS A #2 - what are you going to do - trade him in 2 years for the same pick that you could have used this year?

2 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I think even having the backup on the field can hurt a starter's psyche. 

Not only that, it's like having the president and VP of a country or company in the same airplane - if it goes down, you lose everything.  If you have your backup on the field, you risk losing your backup... in which case you have no backup... which defeats the purpose of even having a backup.  Worst case, you lose both on the same play.

I thought that if Philly was looking for a backup for Wentz, it would be someone younger than McCown but someone who's had NFL experience.  There's a former league MVP (Newton), former Super Bowl MVP (Flacco) and the league's passing yards (and sadly interceptions) leader (Winston) out there, although the first two have injury concerns.  

Archived