BBTV

NFL Offseason Thread

I liked Fromm from what I saw from him at Georgia. The Bills taking him despite already having a young unquestioned starter reminds of me of when they drafted Trent Edwards in '07. Unlike Edwards, Fromm could develop into a nice long-term backup, so long as the Bills don't prematurely throw him to the wolves like they did with Nathan Peterman.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

2.  The ESPN guys saying how this is great for the coaches' families because "from March on, their families don't see them, because they're at the office until late at night, or sleeping there so they can get a little more work done".  Mother F you, and mother F those coaches.  They're not goddam scientists.  What work are they doing?  Trying to figure out a way to isolate a TE on a LB?  Give me a break.  You tell fast kids where to run, and you tell fat kids who to hit.  It's certainly not a job that everyone in the world is qualified to do, but it's also not nearly the hardest job in the world, and certainly doesn't require more than the occasional late night watching film.  

If you're a coach that's sleeping in the office, then you're a lousy coach because you can't effectively delegate. You're also a lousy father, because you're neglecting your family, and no Tommy Bahama shirt and ESPN circle jerk can make up for what happens when you ignore your family so that you can figure out how to run the same shovel pass from 15 different formations.

Another interesting tidbit: Bud Grant used to leave the office at around five or six p.m. everyday (he said it was to get back home to his family). He was in four SB's, and he led the Vikings to the playoffs twelve times. There are guys that work way harder, but they don't even sniff a Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, DnBronc said:

Another interesting tidbit: Bud Grant used to leave the office at around five or six p.m. everyday (he said it was to get back home to his family). He was in four SB's, and he led the Vikings to the playoffs twelve times. There are guys that work way harder, but they don't even sniff a Super Bowl.

Didn't the craziness of coaches working 20some hours a day and sleeping in the office start with Joe Gibbs?

5 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Didn't the craziness of coaches working 20some hours a day and sleeping in the office start with Joe Gibbs?

No. I think it started with Vermeil. That's why Gene Upshaw said in the 1980 Raiders America's Game episode that they had the weight of the whole league on their shoulders. If the Eagles beat them, that trend of overwork may have spread like wildfire (that was also the decade where overwork was starting to be pushed in society as a whole).

It’s pretty weird to me how the NFL teams who cried wolf about Brady meeting with Leftwich aren’t going to bat an eye at Cincinnati for sending their playbook to Joe Burrow a full 3 weeks in advance of the draft

13 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It’s pretty weird to me how the NFL teams who cried wolf about Brady meeting with Leftwich aren’t going to bat an eye at Cincinnati for sending their playbook to Joe Burrow a full 3 weeks in advance of the draft

I don't think they literally sent their playbook to him. They exhausted the time they're allowed to meet with a prospective draft pick in advance of the draft while openly discussing offense, which everybody does, and they had Burrow send them his 10 favorite plays at LSU so they could study them and could implement them. If he started watching game tape from last season that's not against the rules. 

54 minutes ago, Sport said:

I don't think they literally sent their playbook to him. They exhausted the time they're allowed to meet with a prospective draft pick in advance of the draft while openly discussing offense, which everybody does, and they had Burrow send them his 10 favorite plays at LSU so they could study them and could implement them. If he started watching game tape from last season that's not against the rules. 

Which is still odd considering all Brady was doing was trying to reach out to the OC after becoming an official member of the Buccaneers. Why get mad at that?

On 4/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, DnBronc said:

No. I think it started with Vermeil. That's why Gene Upshaw said in the 1980 Raiders America's Game episode that they had the weight of the whole league on their shoulders. If the Eagles beat them, that trend of overwork may have spread like wildfire (that was also the decade where overwork was starting to be pushed in society as a whole).

Well, "won the battle but lost the war" seems to fit right about there. It's also something I appreciate about Bruce Arians because he's always made a point of it to himself and his coaches to work reasonable hours and make time for family events. 

The Bengals released Andy Dalton today. He was never the guy who could elevate a good team to a great team and win a super bowl (maybe in 2015 if he hadn't broken his thumb. He was on another level that year, the Bengals were stacked, and the playoff field was wide open). He was good when his supporting cast was good. He wasn't good when they weren't, but he was very capable and put up really good stats for a long time. Not bad for a second round pick. 

I don't get when or why the Bengals got labeled as this QB graveyard in the leadup to the draft. Joe Burrow will be their 3rd main starting QB since 2004 and two other guys pre-1990's won MVPs playing QB for the Bengals. The Browns and Bears they are not. 

9 minutes ago, Sport said:

The Bengals released Andy Dalton today. He was never the guy who could elevate a good team to a great team and win a super bowl (maybe in 2015 if he hadn't broken his thumb. He was on another level that year, the Bengals were stacked, and the playoff field was wide open). He was good when his supporting cast was good. He wasn't good when they weren't, but he was very capable and put up really good stats for a long time. Not bad for a second round pick. 

I don't get when or why the Bengals got labeled as this QB graveyard in the leadup to the draft. Joe Burrow will be their 3rd main starting QB since 2004 and two other guys pre-1990's won MVPs playing QB for the Bengals. The Browns and Bears they are not. 

It feels like Andy Dalton was in Cincinnati so long that he took over for Boomer Esiason in the early 90s.

44 minutes ago, Sport said:

As a Bills fan, I've always been a little jealous of the consistency the Bengals have had at the QB position. Boomer, skip a few, Carson Palmer, skip a few, and then Dalton. Those are all really great QBs, especially when compared to the post-Jim Kelly era (Rob Johnson, the Russell Wilson of the late 90s except the Bills were too dumb to keep him), JP Losman, Trent "Concussed :(" Edwards, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor (who I still love), Nathan Peterman, and so on. Variety is fun, but at the QB position consistency is way better.

I hope Dalton ends up in a decent situation. He's a smart QB that generally avoids mistakes. A team with everything but a QB (like the Bills a few seasons ago) would be lucky to have him.

33 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

As a Bills fan, I've always been a little jealous of the consistency the Bengals have had at the QB position. Boomer, skip a few, Carson Palmer, skip a few, and then Dalton. Those are all really great QBs, especially when compared to the post-Jim Kelly era (Rob Johnson, the Russell Wilson of the late 90s except the Bills were too dumb to keep him), JP Losman, Trent "Concussed :(" Edwards, EJ Manuel, Tyrod Taylor (who I still love), Nathan Peterman, and so on. Variety is fun, but at the QB position consistency is way better.

One of the few things I appreciate about being a Bengals fan is their QB history, especially compared to some other clubs. For all the success they haven't had, QB hasn't been one of their issues. That why it was so annoying to hear "Burrow is going to a QB graveyard" Umm no. It's not true and it takes barely any research. And it's not even skip a few between Palmer and Dalton. Palmer "retired" after the 2010 Season From Hell* and Dalton was drafted in the second round in 2011. And don't forget they went straight from Should-Be-Hall-of-Famer Ken Anderson to Boomer Esiason. Even Jeff Blake and Jon Kitna were serviceable. The 90's had a couple bad picks with David Klingler and then Akili Smith, but every team has those first round QB busts. 

*maybe the lowest I've ever been as a Bengals fan. Worse even than last year. Johnson and TO were supposed to be unstoppable and they made the playoffs the previous season so we all had high expectations. They started 2-1 and then lost 10 straight listless games to which we all thought Marvin Lewis was going to get fired and then he didn't. They ended up going to the playoffs five straight years after that so it mostly worked out, but it was pretty awful in the moment. 

I hope Dalton ends up in a decent situation. He's a smart QB that generally avoids mistakes. A team with everything but a QB (like the Bills a few seasons ago) would be lucky to have him.

My guess is the Jaguars because Jay Gruden and Tyler Eifert are there now and he's probably better than Minshew. I am afraid of what would happen if he went to New England. 

Jacksonville would be awesome for Dalton. It's not exactly like a Denver for Manning or -- puke -- Tampa for Tompa scenario, but could be a really soft landing place for him to win (or not lose) games they otherwise wouldn't.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Which is still odd considering all Brady was doing was trying to reach out to the OC after becoming an official member of the Buccaneers. Why get mad at that?

My problem with it is that most of us are respecting 'stay at home' orders and social distancing, and not going over to friends' houses, but it seems like NFL players - heck, Florida in general - think they're exempt from that.

They could have FedEx'd it to him, or dropped it off on his driveway and just driven away.

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Jacksonville would be awesome for Dalton. It's not exactly like a Denver for Manning or -- puke -- Tampa for Tompa scenario, but could be a really soft landing place for him to win (or not lose) games they otherwise wouldn't.

I was thinking the same thing. It also helps that Jacksonville’s new OC is Jay Gruden who was Dalton’s OC in Cincinnati for the first three years he was in the league

Anybody else watching Project 11” on ESPN?

It is insane how Alex Smith still has a leg after his injury.