NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

It's fair to say that it was easier for the Yankees because the money inequality was greater in 2000 than it was way back in the day, and they had the highest payroll and could add whoever they wanted.  There was 30 teams, but really?  Half of them didn't matter.  According to the internet, the Yankees payroll in 2000 was tops in the league at $96M.  In 1999, it was a league high $88M, which was $7M higher than #2.  In 1998, they were second at $65M... behind... wait for it... Baltimore at $72M.  How did that happen?

Baltimore was paying a ton for Albert Belle and....Mike Mussina? Sammy Sosa? -- the times blur for me. But Angelos was trying to do what he thought Steinbrenner did, but it's really not as easy as buying titles. If it were, the Yankees would have won in 2001 and probably some other time between then and 2009.

I don't disagree that money corrupts MLB; I walked away as a fan when the Yankees signed Jason Giambi because I felt that signing fundamentally altered fairness of the sport (that they never won anything with Giambi is pretty funny).

So my ultimate conclusion is that Brian Cashman did a great job of using Steinbrenner's money well, and the Yankees also hit incredibly well on guys like Jeter, Bernie, Posada, and Riveria. They also did a great job signing and/or trading for guys who were near the end of the line but still had something to contribute, like Raines, Strawberry, Wells, Cone and O'Neill. Then they went too big chasing Kevin Brown and Jason Giambi and Randy Johnson.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to succeed when you can afford to fail.  They could take risks that few other teams could, because if it didn't work out, they could just spend their way out of it.

Did Cashman do a good job?  Sure.  But he also didn't have to weigh the cons nearly as much as any other GM did.  Was there even a luxury tax back then?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Eli had to get out of that tackle to even throw the ball. In this case it's because Eli and David Tyree show up on the biggest play of the game. 

The Tyree and Manningham catches only resulted in first downs. Eli still had to lead them to the end zone.

I saw, I came, I left.

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's easy to succeed when you can afford to fail.  They could take risks that few other teams could, because if it didn't work out, they could just spend their way out of it.

Did Cashman do a good job?  Sure.  But he also didn't have to weigh the cons nearly as much as any other GM did.  Was there even a luxury tax back then?

Brother, there's a guy in DC who proves that to a tee.

Again, I don't really care about baseball, so if we want to put them a notch below the Bulls and Pats, that's just fine with me.

And now that I think about it, it's probably Pats 1, Bulls 2, Lakers and and Spurs tied for 3, Yankees 5, and maybe Alabama football next but the NCAA can pound sand.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The '80s Edmonton Oilers need to be in that discussion (didn't we just have this discussion somewhere else?  Much like the days, all the threads just blend together now.)

There were far fewer teams in the league, but the good ones were very strong.  In any other era, those Flyers teams have 2-3 cups, but lost to the Oilers twice in 7 games.  That they won after the league arguably orchestrated the trade of Gretzky to LA just cemented their standing as an all-time dynasty.

College doesn't count in any discussion because it's trash, and people in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida can discuss it at their next gathering because I"m sure it'll be deemed 'essential' down there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't care whether it was New Orleans or not, but pass interference and personal fouls need a major reform, as they're called (or not called) completely arbitrarily and can completely change games and seasons.

Things happen so fast - how the hell can something with game changing consequences like PI not be reviewable?  I think it's absurd to just trust the referees to get it right on the field.  It's also absurd to expect them to fairly-review themselves, so there should be some other way of overturning the calls.  Same with personal fouls.  Guys get 15 yards when they don't even actually make contact with a QB, but a piece of walking feces like Clowney gets nothing for spearing a star QB in the head and knocking him out of a game?

As long as PI and PF go unchecked, I'll never drop my claim that the league weighs games toward one side or the other.  I think it's naive to believe anything else.

One of the biggest shames of XFL folding is that we lost momentum to carry forward their awesome booth reviews into the NFL. Had the league stuck around longer, I'm sure there would have been calls to replicate its biggest success in the NFL. As it is, XFL 2020 is a faint memory now.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't care whether it was New Orleans or not, but pass interference and personal fouls need a major reform, as they're called (or not called) completely arbitrarily and can completely change games and seasons.

Things happen so fast - how the hell can something with game changing consequences like PI not be reviewable?  I think it's absurd to just trust the referees to get it right on the field.  It's also absurd to expect them to fairly-review themselves, so there should be some other way of overturning the calls.  Same with personal fouls.  Guys get 15 yards when they don't even actually make contact with a QB, but a piece of walking feces like Clowney gets nothing for spearing a star QB in the head and knocking him out of a game?

As long as PI and PF go unchecked, I'll never drop my claim that the league weighs games toward one side or the other.  I think it's naive to believe anything else.

My issue is less with the Saints or New Orleans and more that a bunch of butthurt fans tried to sic the legal system on the NFL because of a bad call. Thankfully, the suit was dismissed but not before it reached the Louisiana Supreme Court.

All I'm saying is that it put a bad taste in my mouth. Just like how my team's lineup of talented degenerates and coaching staff puts a bad taste in your mouth. Especially since the Saints weren't the only team to get screwed over in a Conference Championship game that year.

The schedule is out... here's some highlights.

-Kansas City gets the honor to open the season as the defending champs. They'll host Houston on Thursday, September 10th. I'm pretty sure Texan fans have nightmares to this day about last season's divisional game.

-Brady vs. Brees - Round 1 is the marquee game of the first full weekend of play. Also to note is the opening of SoFi Stadium as the Rams host Dallas on Sunday Night.

-The Bolts make their SoFi debut in the following week as they host the defending champion Chiefs while Las Vegas opens up Allegiant Stadium on that Monday Night with New Orleans.

-Week 5 provides the first bye weeks of the season and they're spread out from this week to Week 13 (with a odd break for Thanksgiving weekend, which is Week 12)

-The Turkey Day Triple Header has Houston at Detroit, Washington at Dallas and Baltimore at Pittsburgh

-Christmas Day will get a game as Minnesota goes to New Orleans on that Friday.

7 hours ago, Red Comet said:

My issue is less with the Saints or New Orleans and more that a bunch of butthurt fans tried to sic the legal system on the NFL because of a bad call. Thankfully, the suit was dismissed but not before it reached the Louisiana Supreme Court.

All I'm saying is that it put a bad taste in my mouth. Just like how my team's lineup of talented degenerates and coaching staff puts a bad taste in your mouth. Especially since the Saints weren't the only team to get screwed over in a Conference Championship game that year.

I don't know who your team is, but I do know that I if billions of dollars are on the line, the league owes it to everyone - player, coach, owner, fan - to ensure that games are officiated correctly.  That they continuously refuse to do so really makes me doubt it's credibility.

The allegations against Jay Cutler that he's lazy and unmotivated are shocking.....said nobody ever:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/kristin-cavallari-divorcing-jay-cutler-lazy-unmotivated/15lpbyqjh1tcz1345drxmdwzab?fbclid=IwAR1qOgO92k3fT6da5tlw5SUtriyWJJTxlOB2EegjBEDflM-0o-QNhXtwkIg

The pending divorce between Jay Cutler and Kristin Cavallari comes, in part, because Cavallari thought of Cutler as "lazy" and "unmotivated" later in their marriage, per a report from Page Six.

"The Hills" star, who announced the couple's divorce in April, reportedly grew "increasingly impatient" with her husband's lack of ambition; he originally had planned to pursue a career in broadcasting at Fox Sports in 2017 following an eight-year career in Chicago. He was ready to take the job when he decided to back out and return to the NFL for one final season with the Dolphins. He threw for 2,660 yards, 19 touchdowns and 14 interceptions (plus four fumbles) for Miami in 2017.

Page Six, citing a source, reported that Cutler had nothing else lined up after retiring from the game for good.  

"He was supposed to take this big job at Fox Sports and have a life after football that would get him up off the couch and do something,” the source told Page Six. “Instead, he backed out — this is (three) years ago — and joined the (Miami) Dolphins. That didn’t pan out well, and he was left with no TV gig until she got the show for them.”

The source also added that Cavallari views herself as "very polished and put together" — and Cutler as "this lazy, unmotivated guy.”

Cutler joined Cavallari's reality show "Very Cavallari" in July 2018, displaying the same irritability that he did as an NFL player — and becoming a surprising breakout star because of it. Page Six reports that Cutler has mulled another potential job in broadcasting; per "Very Cavallari," he has received offers from ESPN and CBS.

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Let's see who gets what in the divorce settlement .... then we'll see who the lazy one REALLY is.

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Including the Buccaneers, EIGHT teams have a total of FIVE primetime games each.

TNF, SNF, & MNF scheduling is a joke and always has been.

Are you saying that five is too much for whoever those teams are?  

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are you saying that five is too much for whoever those teams are?  

Yes. It shows extreme bias and clear cut favoritism. It could’ve easily been spread out through all 32 teams, but I guess that would be too easy for the NFL Scheduling Department.

Archived