BBTV

NFL Offseason Thread

50 minutes ago, heavybass said:

I have..... Redskins, Panthers at 6-10, Giants at 7-9, Cowboys at 9-7, Browns at 9-7 and Dolphins at 6-10...

Bills are 10-6/11-5,Broncos at 6-10, Rams at 4-12 and Bears at 4-12

spacer.png

Only saying this because “experts” tend to say the Redskins will never make it above 4 wins and predict every year they’ll draft a QB #1 overall. It’s nauseating to listen to and read that. I guess I better buckle up for Trevor Lawrence in 2021 because apparently the Redskins AIN’T DOING HORSE**** AGAIN THIS YEAR!

(I’m a Redskins fan so thank you for the vote of confidence lol)

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

If they took just one team, say... the Giants and told them “Hey, you’re entire upcoming season schedule is made completely up of Thursday, Sunday, and Monday Night games. No 1 PM EST or 4 PM EST games. Is it really worth watching at that point? To have a team hogging up the primetime spotlight meant to showcase the talents of other teams?

That's a straw man.  It's literally never happened.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It’s just my opinion that I’d like to see the scheduling for the primetime games spread out evenly to all 32 teams instead of being bunched together to feature mostly just 1/4th of the league with a couple other teams sprinkled in.

Why does it matter?  Why does the prime time scheduling upset anyone?

20 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

but they're stuck with a string of 1 pm/10 am starts and they enter the playoffs on that blowoff Saturday game and no one cares.

Again - why does it matter?  Where is there a "penalty" from playing all your games in the early timeslot?  The overwhelming majority of players I've heard asked about the subject claim that they prefer the "normal" game times, and not the TNF, SNF, or MNF games, so it might even be beneficial to not have prime time games.

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's a straw man.  It's literally never happened.

I know it hasn’t happened. It never will. I used it as an example to illustrate unneeded redundancy.

Why does it matter?  Why does the prime time scheduling upset anyone?

For the reasons I’ve posted. Again, unnecessary & unneeded redundancy. 

Also for this (your) reason...

The overwhelming majority of players I've heard asked about the subject claim that they prefer the "normal" game times, and not the TNF, SNF, or MNF games, so it might even be beneficial to not have prime time games.

.... I agree with. Five primetime games for eight different teams is a bit ridiculous wouldn’t you think? If players really do prefer day games, like you say, those five games for ~425 players would (for lack of a better term) suck. Richard Sherman has publicly stated how much he opposes Thursday games because of the risks involved to the players. Hell, I’m pretty sure there have been teams who play a SNF game then turn around and open up the following week’s slate of games with a TNF game. There have been multiple instances of teams playing back-to-back TNF games, too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually get a team who has to play on Monday Night then gets told to play on Thursday Night because “ratings are everything”.

54 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

Only saying this because “experts” tend to say the Redskins will never make it above 4 wins and predict every year they’ll draft a QB #1 overall. It’s nauseating to listen to and read that. I guess I better buckle up for Trevor Lawrence in 2021 because apparently the Redskins AIN’T DOING HORSE**** AGAIN THIS YEAR!

(I’m a Redskins fan so thank you for the vote of confidence lol)

Pretty sure it's Jaguars going for Lawrence and that the Bears are going to be MUCH worse.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I know it hasn’t happened. It never will. I used it as an example to illustrate unneeded redundancy.

Not sure how something that hasn't and won't occur can be used as an example.  Pretty sure that contradicts the definition.  It's a straw man argument.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/example

For the reasons I’ve posted. Again, unnecessary & unneeded redundancy. 

So help me out here.  I think the only "reason" you've posted is this:

On 5/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, DNAsports said:

Yes. It shows extreme bias and clear cut favoritism. It could’ve easily been spread out through all 32 teams, but I guess that would be too easy for the NFL Scheduling Department.

So basically because it shows "extreme bias" and "clear cut favoritism".  Please let me know if I missed anything (for real).  I'm not sure that this (if I haven't missed anything) even counts as a 'reason for caring'.  As we've been through, it does show bias in favor of matchups that they feel will draw ratings, but there's no 'favoritism'.  It doesn't benefit an individual team to be in prime time, so it's not like the schedulers are hooking up their "favorite" owners. 

Five primetime games for eight different teams is a bit ridiculous wouldn’t you think?

I don't care who's in prime time.  Not one single bit.  Just tell me what time my team's games are on.  If they're all 1:00PM then cool.  If they're all 4:30PM then cool.  

There have been multiple instances of teams playing back-to-back TNF games, too.

So... then the team gets a full week before the second TNF game, and then a long week going into their next game.  Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually get a team who has to play on Monday Night then gets told to play on Thursday Night because “ratings are everything”.

Again, something that has never happened.  Not sure how that contributes to the discussion.

@BringBackTheVet

- I don’t see only certain teams getting the  primetime slots as beneficial.

- Seeing as primetime games are likely never going away, I’d prefer an even spread and exposure to all 32 teams not just a heavy dose of 1/4th of the league on those nights.

- Not that these things haven’t happened. That’s a given, but what if they happen? Could they actually happen? Odd & peculiar primetime scheduling shouldn’t be out of the question. As you said and it’s known, the NFL is a business and will do anything in their power to boost ratings. Could the league actually push themselves that far? Risks and all? That’s what I’m getting at.

I understand your logical points on the discussion. I don’t like the primetime scheduling. You do. Or at least you don’t really care. Haven’t figured that part out yet. Agree, disagree, whatever. Those are our differing opinions. Clear cut for you?

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

@BringBackTheVetI don’t like the primetime scheduling. You do. Or at least you don’t really care. Haven’t figured that part out yet. 

I've been pretty clear - I don't care.  Not only do I not care, I don't understand why anyone does.  If you do?  Cool.  I don't understand why, but cool.

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Does that mean The Buffalo Bills are now Americas's Team?

Absolutely. Raise the banner.🎉🥳

14 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Honestly Arizona doesn't surprise me. If I had to rank team popularity based on what I see out in the suburbs of Phoenix it'd be 1. Packers 2. Cowboys 3. Vikings 4. Bills 5. Cardinals. Cowboys fans are a holdover from pre-Cardinals days and the rest are snowbirds. I'm sure if I spent more time around Phoenix proper I'd see more Cards stuff, but the suburbanites are usually a large part of filling the stands in most places

I’m calling BS on Texas, Illinois,and Ohio. 

Of course it’s based on hashtag use, so it’s less than meaningless. 

If you have a Twitter, I’d give QB Data Mine a follow. It really breaks down QB statistics you wouldn’t think of.

Statistics like somehow Derek Carr was the most accurate overall passer last season-

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

If you have a Twitter, I’d give QB Data Mine a follow. It really breaks down QB statistics you wouldn’t think of.

Statistics like somehow Derek Carr was the most accurate overall passer last season-

Probably how the Raiders got to 7-9 in the first place. Honestly? Maybe with the move completed, they may just be a dark horse threat to make the playoffs. Especially now that there's a 3rd wild card team (again) in each conference. 

6 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Honestly Arizona doesn't surprise me. If I had to rank team popularity based on what I see out in the suburbs of Phoenix it'd be 1. Packers 2. Cowboys 3. Vikings 4. Bills 5. Cardinals. Cowboys fans are a holdover from pre-Cardinals days and the rest are snowbirds. I'm sure if I spent more time around Phoenix proper I'd see more Cards stuff, but the suburbanites are usually a large part of filling the stands in most places

You’re right, but also off. Because the city of Phoenix and the suburbs have a big Midwest influence and the Cowboys are a big part. But we have a huge Cardinals following in Surprise, Glendale and Peoria area. I guess it’s the west side appeal. But there’s a lot of people that wear the Cardinals and that they are huge out here.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:18 PM, Red Comet said:

I dunno, around the late 90s when Thursday night games were late in the season and involved teams like the Tennessee Oilers and Cincinnati Bengals (which was a matchup on Thursday Night Football in 1997 IIRC)? You're not putting utter crap on screen but its giving the mid-tier of the NFL some exposure that they might not otherwise get. 

Yep. Corey Dillon broke the rookie single game rushing record. One of my only fun memories of being a Bengals fan as a kid. 

The year Boomer Esiason re-signed with the team, finally replaced Jeff Blake with 5 games left, went 4-1 (probably ruined some draft possibilities), and then retired. 

Assuming that this NFL season will happen, does anyone have any tips for buying tickets? Been to a few games as a kid but never bought tickets myself. Looking to buy 5 tickets for my family in October and thought I'd ask here before paying $100/ticket for upper deck. 

1 hour ago, tjs11 said:

Assuming that this NFL season will happen, does anyone have any tips for buying tickets? Been to a few games as a kid but never bought tickets myself. Looking to buy 5 tickets for my family in October and thought I'd ask here before paying $100/ticket for upper deck. 

What team?

2 hours ago, tjs11 said:

$100 for upper deck is standard normal price in many places, let alone the secondary market.

I wouldn't even think about thinking about it right now.  I'm guessing the Falcons and the Florida teams will be cramming 100,000 soon-to-be-dead granny killers into their stadiums, but there's no way I'd make any advance purchases anywhere else right now.  Best case scenario for most places is that the stadiums are open, but they run lotteries for the STH and only allow some small percentage to attend the games, like 10% or 20%.  Probably each STH will get one game.  Just a guess.  Plan for 2021.  Not sure why this is even a thought right now.