NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

6 minutes ago, heavybass said:

Yeah I'm surprised by that... technically is he now the lead QB for the Pats or is he backup?

I really think it’s something Belichick will decide after seeing them in the training camp/preseason. 

I believe they really do want to give Stidham a chance. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, Tracy Jordan said:

I would be happy if they signed him to a one-year deal. The Titans brought in Ryan Tannehill on a one-year deal last year and look how well that turned out for them. The same with the Saints and Teddy Bridgewater. There's no guarantee that Allen won't take a huge step backwards (ala Trubisky or Mariota) in his development or get hurt for an extended period of time, especially with the way he runs. And I don't know about you, but I have very little faith in Matt Barkley as a solution. McDermott would know better than most whether it would be a good fit. Assuming that Cam is mature enough to handle a backup role, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him for a year. The Bills could actually be a contender in the AFC for the first time in 25 years and I don't want to see that opportunity wasted if Allen gets hurt. I just pray that Belichick doesn't get to him first.

Ugh.

It continues to amaze me just how stubborn certain organizations are when it comes to their quarterback situation. But it doesn't surprise me that Beane and McDermott, the guys who thought Nate Peterman was a suitable backup for two years, wouldn't want to sign Cam Newton for the league minimum. I mean where is the logic in upgrading your QB depth right? It's not like first round picks don't ever regress in their third or fourth years right?

So if Jarrett Stidham doesn't work out, Belichick can turn to a former MVP who is still in his prime, when healthy. If Josh Allen gets hurt, next up on the Bills depth chart is.... Matt Barkley.

Just kill me. After our organization mistreats his injuries for two years before just cutting him he gets picked up by the Patriots. With him on the Pats and Kemba on the Celtics guess I'm a temporary Boston fan!

the user formerly known as cdclt

15 hours ago, heavybass said:

They lose their 3rd round pick for 2021 and are fined 1.1 million dollars.... AND no one will ever figured out why they spyed on the Bungals.

If they're spying on the worst team in the NFL then it means they're spying on everyone. 

Or they really were shooting a feature on an advance scout and didn't know the rules about shooting the field, but they lost the benefit of the doubt more than a decade ago. Also their employee was suspiciously quick to ask if he could just delete the footage. 

This punishment seems to indicate that the Patriots totally did that :censored:. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cam looked washed at the end of his time with the Panthers. I wish Cam the greatest success but the Pats the greatest failure so I don't know what outcome I want here.

But @Tracy Jordan is absolutely right: the Bills should have picked up Cam instead of that elite backup they drafted.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

32 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Cam looked washed at the end of his time with the Panthers. I wish Cam the greatest success but the Pats the greatest failure so I don't know what outcome I want here.

But @Tracy Jordan is absolutely right: the Bills should have picked up Cam instead of that elite backup they drafted.

He wasn't washed, he was injured and the team never properly handled it, from misdiagnosing it to continuing to play him in 2018 to not giving him enough time to heal. With all the work I assume he'd been doing, this time the injuries shouldn't hold him back. I fully expect to see a healthy Cam tearing it up in the AFC East.

the user formerly known as cdclt

38 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

He had a Lisfranc injury last season which was initially characterized as just a mild sprain.  He looked washed because the Panthers let him play for three or four weeks on an injury that should have had him out for months.  He had a very solid 2018.  If his foot is good to go -- he did pass a physical -- then last year just gave him a season to rest the rest of his body.  I'm excited to see what Belichick can do with somebody like Cam Newton.

IUe6Hvh.png

20 hours ago, heavybass said:

They lose their 3rd round pick for 2021 and are fined 1.1 million dollars.... AND no one will ever figured out why they spyed on the Bungals.

Cincy had new head coach, the Pats spied on him for future reference. 

On 6/29/2020 at 1:10 AM, Red Comet said:

I guess we're going to see if it was Belichick or Brady who was the real source of the Pats success. 

I'm betting on Darth Hoodie.

Far as I'm concerned, that question got answered in 2007, the season Brady got knocked out vs the Chiefs. Granted, the rest of that division was doodoo for the longest time, but that team still went 10-6--behind the play of Matt Cassell no less.  (For comparison's sake, the season Peyton Manning missed, 2011, the team barely strung together two wins.)  So Brady is definitely an elite QB...but Belichick is s genius coach--with or without the extra cams and stuff going on.

And speaking of Cams, apparently Richard Sherman felt some kind of way about Newton's signing...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Buc said:

Far as I'm concerned, that question got answered in 2007, the season Brady got knocked out vs the Chiefs. Granted, the rest of that division was doodoo for the longest time, but that team still went 10-6--behind the play of Matt Cassell no less.  (For comparison's sake, the season Peyton Manning missed, 2011, the team barely strung together two wins.)  So Brady is definitely an elite QB...but Belichick is s genius coach--with or without the extra cams and stuff going on.

And speaking of Cams, apparently Richard Sherman felt some kind of way about Newton's signing...

I'm going to be pedantic and say akshully, it was 2008. Bernard Pollard really set back the franchise on that hit and it wasn't even his fault. Matt Cassell doesn't come in, Scott Pioli has to actually find a new quarterback and maybe the mini-Dark Ages the Chiefs went through get arrested in 2010. Or not. Still, I think the Bills take the AFC East this year and the Pats probably go to Baltimore/Kansas City for the playoffs. 

As for that, really? Cam Newton is a quarterback that relies on his physique to make plays and has been chronically injured since 2016. A one-year prove it contract is a perfectly appropriate reaction to those circumstances. It's also inline with how New England (and the league in general) typically handles players with a bad injury history but a lot of upside too. Plus, the contract is loaded with potential bonuses so if Cam plays out of his mind again, he'll get that money and then some.

If i recall, Patriots only missed the playoffs in that 08 season because of a 3rd tiebreaker or something. 

It was also the year Brett Favre had his "senior moment" by joining the Jets. So The East was actually decent for 1 year. 

As for Cam. It's basically the same thing with AB. Either he works out, or he doesn't. In not, they at least get to see what the have with Stidham. 

Really it's a win-win for them. 

With all those incentives too, there really is no way Cam isn't the starter. Even if they try to pretend like it's still a question.  

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If i recall, Patriots only missed the playoffs in that 08 season because of a 3rd tiebreaker or something. 

It was also the year Brett Favre had his "senior moment" by joining the Jets. So The East was actually decent for 1 year. 

As for Cam. It's basically the same thing with AB. Either he works out, or he doesn't. In not, they at least get to see what the have with Stidham. 

Really it's a win-win for them. 

With all those incentives too, there really is no way Cam isn't the starter. Even if they try to pretend like it's still a question.  

And even if Cam somehow isn't the starter, he's still a freak athlete that Belichick could/will use enough to make teams prepare for it.

IUe6Hvh.png

It's still incredible to me that the 2008 Patriots are the only Patriots team to miss the playoffs in nigh-on two decades(!), and they're the only team ever under the current format to go 11-5 and miss out, and that they did it all playing the backup QB literally the entire year.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

19 minutes ago, waltere said:

It's still incredible to me that the 2008 Patriots are the only Patriots team to miss the playoffs in nigh-on two decades(!), and they're the only team ever under the current format to go 11-5 and miss out, and that they did it all playing the backup QB literally the entire year.

Like I said, I think it came down to the 2nd or 3rd tiebreaker to eliminate them. 

08 was just a crazy year for football. Brady taken out, Favre on the Jets, Wildcat Game, Cardinals in the Super Bowl.

Archived