BBTV

NFL Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:


Oh boy. Not sure if it shows in that link, but he also mentioned that “Hitler was right.”

 

How he can say he’s being misinterpreted is beyond me. At least he’s not saying he was hacked. 
 

I know that lots of people hold hateful feelings inside, but deciding - ever, but especially now - that it’s a good idea to make them public just shows judgement that is indefensible. 
 

He needs to make a statement, but I’m not sure he can talk his way out of this one. It’s a shame because I used to like him and thought Chip Kelly was Wrong (and, frankly, a racist) for cutting him, but I think the Eagles need to release him, and the NFL should cancel him. No fan base should be put in position to cheer for someone with those views. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:


Oh boy. Not sure if it shows in that link, but he also mentioned that “Hitler was right.”

 

How he can say he’s being misinterpreted is beyond me. At least he’s not saying he was hacked. 
 

I know that lots of people hold hateful feelings inside, but deciding - ever, but especially now - that it’s a good idea to make them public just shows judgement that is indefensible. 
 

He needs to make a statement, but I’m not sure he can talk his way out of this one. It’s a shame because I used to like him and thought Chip Kelly was Wrong (and, frankly, a racist) for cutting him, but I think the Eagles need to release him, and the NFL should cancel him. No fan base should be put in position to cheer for someone with those views. 
 

 

 

Also, on another note, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie is Jewish. I know wide receivers have a reputation for being eccentric at best and knuckleheads at worst, but how stupid do you have to be to not only post a quote from a man who tried to wipe out your boss's ethnicity/religion from the face of the Earth but try to frame it as a positive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really beyond dumb.

 

People are comparing this to the Riley Cooper incident, but I think this is much worse.  When Riley Cooper went on his rant where he challenged "every N-word to a fight", it exposed a very troubling part of his character (not only racism, but also possibly alcoholism and rage issues), but it wasn't like he sat there and consciously planned to make that statement.  He exposed himself as a hate filled coward, and frankly would have (and should have) been cut had Michael Vick not stood up for him (which put Vick at odds with a lot of guys, but he was a strong enough leader to make it all work.)

 

Deshawn doubled down on it by shifting from praising Hitler to Farrakhan.  It was a conscious decision to share his feelings with the world, so it's not only the character - which, let's be honest, we're finding that a lot of American's lack - but it's so much more than that too.

 

Something I just thought of - in Jackson's tiny mind, does Lurie and Roseman validate his feelings by cutting him?  Or does keeping him and trying to educate him possibly make the bigger statement?  I kinda hope a 500lb anvil falls on his head so that there's one less person like him in our country (and the Eagles are off the hook.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man. 

 

“Jackson also shared several posts casting a dubious eye toward a potential coronavirus vaccine. In one, Jackson referred to philanthropist Melinda Gates, the wife of Microsoft founder Bill Gates, as a “dumb broad” after she advocated for Black people and Native Americans to be among the first to obtain any vaccine due to their increased risk factors to the virus.”

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this whole thing is a great lesson in not using social media unless it is to promote yourself and only promote yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought DeSean Jackson was the sharpest tool in the shed anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I think this whole thing is a great lesson in not using social media unless it is to promote yourself and only promote yourself. 


Or, letting your agent run your social media accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also, DeSean Jackson hasn't had a 1,000 yard season since 2016. And he hasn't had more than 4 TD catches in a season since 2014. The man is washed up both physically and now mentally too. Forget cancelling him for being a moron on social media, he's going to get himself cancelled by his stats alone. 

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a mess.

 

Jameis Winston and Kevin Durant liked his IG post about Louis Farrakhan, who has some... uh... questionable views on white inferiority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Jameis Winston hadn't gotten lasik surgery, he could at least argue he thought he liked a post about Louis Armstrong. Is better to explain away getting a musician's name mixed up with a black supremacist, after all. 

 

I guess Winston is used to decisions coming back on hin. Happened 30 times last year alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I guess Winston is used to decisions coming back on hin. Happened 30 times last year alone. 

 

There's still the whole... incident that Tallahassee PD and state attorney covered up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

There's still the whole... incident that Tallahassee PD and state attorney covered up.

 

And yelling about people getting raped. And stealing crab legs. 

 

You can't fix stupid. Even if stupid scored a 27 (~115 IQ) on the Wonderlic.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's lucky that black people are having such a moment because usually "Hitler was right about the Jews, who are leading an international conspiracy against America" would get you a hell of a lot more than a "well he meant well but it just kinda got away from him" statement from a team owned by a Jewish guy. Maybe he can guest on a Jay-Z track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

He's lucky that black people are having such a moment because usually "Hitler was right about the Jews, who are leading an international conspiracy against America" would get you a hell of a lot more than a "he meant well but it just kinda got away from him" statement from a team owned by a Jewish guy.

 

Long-term, I think it would be better if DeSean Jackson's play determines his place on an NFL roster not his stupid takes online. It's not like the NFL is lacking for employing people who hurt more than feelings. I'm a Chiefs fan, after all, so I know better than most on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, I'm not a fan of cancel culture, I just think the enormity of what he said certainly would have raised a lot more consternation if we didn't have so many other fires to put out right now. 

 

The ascension of football players to public-intellectual status may have turned out to be a tactical error. They're not all stupid, but they're sure not all smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The ascension of football players to public-intellectual status may have turned out to be a tactical error. They're not all stupid, but they're sure not all smart.

 

And this is after a decade of ESPN and other sports media stating that the game of football is guaranteed to turn anyone who plays it professionally into a vegetable. CTE is a serious issue, don't get me wrong, I just found it strange that I was ever supposed to care about what a football player said one way or another regarding complex political issues that baffle experts on said topics after hearing about CTE for 10 years.  

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

 

Long-term, I think it would be better if DeSean Jackson's play determines his place on an NFL roster not his stupid takes online. It's not like the NFL is lacking for employing people who hurt more than feelings. I'm a Chiefs fan, after all, so I know better than most on that. 

 

Pro sports is about making money, not winning games (though one usually leads to the other).  A big part of making money is having fans and selling gear.  I don't give a F how fast he can run or how well he can catch, I don't think I can cheer for him ever again, and I hope the team doesn't put me in position to have to "not cheer" for a touchdown.  I think it's lousy that parents have to explain to their kids why they shouldn't wear that jersey anymore (unless of course the parents also hate jews and want to pass that on to their kid.)

 

I hope the Eagles decide that they can't have a dude like that wearing their logo and representing the team.  They've been very lucky so far as far as not having guys that have done heinous things, but now they're being tested.  If they fail this one, and then double-down by bringing back Lesean McCoy (which has been rumored), I might need to take a year off from being a fan.

 

Screw him.  It's unfortunate that being fast usually gets you out of trouble like this, but his on-field skills shouldn't have anything to do with him being allowed back on the team.  I'm not naive enough to expect them to do the right thing.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You mean to tell me that this guy may not be very bright? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to intelligence,  DeSean always seems to fall short of the goalline 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.