NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

13 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I feel like they've gotta reduce the season ticket prices for this or otherwise nobody's going to be interested in season tickets for two fewer games (or, really, one fewer game since they already go one in London each year anyhow). Not only that, but it reduces the chance of a given fan being able to watch their team at home games. I'd be unhappy if I were a Jags fan.

EDIT: Just had to look somewhere to find the answer. According to Big Cat Country, a press release by the Jags says: "In 2020, Jaguars season ticket members will receive a 50 percent discount on preseason games and favorable variable pricing on the six regular season games that will result in an overall average ticket price reduction of 5 percent, representing a 15 percent savings off their invoice from last season."

the comments on the bottom of the article are mostly negative towards Khan

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kimball said:

Sooooo ... when are the Jags going to move?

If they can't get $700m upgrade they've got to be up for relocation either to London or somewhere in the States (St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland, etc.)

The mayor of San Antonio would be happy to give them whatever they want to bring them in. Bizarrely, he's stumping to host the NFL Draft.

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-news-san-antonio-building-pitch-to-host-event/

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/nfl/mayor-ron-nirenberg-wants-san-antonio-to-host-nfl-draft/273-c51431a5-327b-4777-b191-1ba87c64bd9b

San Diego would have a better chance of getting a team than San Antonio, based on geography. Jerry Jones and the Texans both view San Antonio as their territory and they won't allow anyone to claim it. The Spanos' forfeited San Diego in a bid to make more cash in LA and found out that they poisoned the well in both cities. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, kimball said:

Sooooo ... when are the Jags going to move?

If they can't get $700m upgrade they've got to be up for relocation either to London or somewhere in the States (St. Louis, San Diego, Oakland, etc.)

Khan talked about a new stadium last November when he compared his team to the Rams, Chargers, and Raiders.

Khan's also partnering with Cordish on redeveloping parking Lot J for mixed-use development with two skyscrapers, a hotel, and a small convention center which has already be posted here on why there will be a second London game, but it will likely be replaced by a stadium concert or two.  The project will take three years to complete.

20 hours ago, Maroon said:

I feel like they've gotta reduce the season ticket prices for this or otherwise nobody's going to be interested in season tickets for two fewer games (or, really, one fewer game since they already go one in London each year anyhow). Not only that, but it reduces the chance of a given fan being able to watch their team at home games. I'd be unhappy if I were a Jags fan.

EDIT: Just had to look somewhere to find the answer. According to Big Cat Country, a press release by the Jags says: "In 2020, Jaguars season ticket members will receive a 50 percent discount on preseason games and favorable variable pricing on the six regular season games that will result in an overall average ticket price reduction of 5 percent, representing a 15 percent savings off their invoice from last season."

They did by 15%

3 hours ago, dont care said:

They did by 15%

And they’re already ridiculously cheap. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Yep, $1000 bucks last year for lower bowl seats

I thought they were going for like 500 or something like that. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Eagles are going without an OC this year.  They'll have a 'run game coordinator' and 'pass game coordinator', but HC Doug Pederson will be the de facto OC.  He kinda was anyway, but I guess this just means that he's more hands-on at practice rather than just being the play caller, and then not even giving a f about the defense.

When was the last time a team went without someone with the title of OC? It's happened on defense before (I think - didn't Belichik recently not have a DC?)

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Eagles are going without an OC this year.  They'll have a 'run game coordinator' and 'pass game coordinator', but HC Doug Pederson will be the de facto OC.  He kinda was anyway, but I guess this just means that he's more hands-on at practice rather than just being the play caller, and then not even giving a f about the defense.

When was the last time a team went without someone with the title of OC? It's happened on defense before (I think - didn't Belichik recently not have a DC?)

Yep, past 2 years have been without a DC, and jason garret ran without an OC for a year or 2, I wouldn’t advise it. OC’s should be calling plays with coach having ultimate veto power. 

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Belichick did not have a DC last year, but his son, Linebackers Coach Steve Belichick called plays on defense.  

13 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Belichick did not have a DC last year, but his son, Linebackers Coach Steve Belichick called plays on defense.  

Sometimes, most of the time it was Bill, even then that’s different than calling pays on offense. For defense you’re just calling the coverage and how they will line up for the rush, and certain blitzes. There are really no play calls like you do for offense 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, GDAWG said:

Even as a Titans fan, I hope that the Jaguars' scheduling strategy for the 2020 regular season is not permanent, and I can sympathize with all of those Jags fans who distrust Shad Khan and his motives for having the team play two home games in London next season.  My cynical side wonders if Khan wants to be to the NFL what Stuart Sternberg is hoping to become to MLB -- the owner of a team that splits its schedule permanently, and either evenly or almost evenly, between a metro area in Florida and a city located outside the United States.  These days, I am finding it all too easy to imagine the Jags playing their home games in London during the whole preseason and the first half of the regular season and then shifting to Jacksonville for home games during the regular season's second half and for any and all postseason home games.

20 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Even as a Titans fan, I hope that the Jaguars' scheduling strategy for the 2020 regular season is not permanent, and I can sympathize with all of those Jags fans who distrust Shad Khan and his motives for having the team play two home games in London next season.  My cynical side wonders if Khan wants to be to the NFL what Stuart Sternberg is hoping to become to MLB -- the owner of a team that splits its schedule permanently, and either evenly or almost evenly, between a metro area in Florida and a city located outside the United States.  These days, I am finding it all too easy to imagine the Jags playing their home games in London during the whole preseason and the first half of the regular season and then shifting to Jacksonville for home games during the regular season's second half and for any and all postseason home games.

Some think that a split of home games is more likely than a permanent move.

48 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

Remember, Khan is not putting these games at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium like the other two NFL's London Series, he is holding them at Wembley which holds ~20K, has more premium seats, and which he tried to buy back in 2018.  Plus, the NFL has been hosting London games since 2007 and has an office there, I think by now, they would basically know that the Logistics are.  Brexit may have thrown them a curve, but they've had since the 2016 vote to prepare/anticipate.

I think it was Michael Lombardi's podcast after the Super Bowl who thought that a team could be in London for three or four games at a time then come to the US for multiple weeks. Hey, but one big issue will be making sure you draft and sign player who are able to obtain a work VISA for the required length.  

Archived