In my desert states Winter Classic concept post, another user here mentioned doing a Florida one. I had remembered seeing this behance gallery for one at Disney world but in my opinion the jerseys in it seemed more appropriate for a Stadium Series instead of a Winter Classic, so I decided to do my own. Yes, I am aware it gets hot in Florida, even in the winter, but like I said in my desert Winter Classic concept, if the NHL could put an outdoor game in Vegas in the 90s, they can do it better now.

First the host team:

spacer.png

I based the Lightning jersey on the EHL’s Jacksonville/Florida Rockets jersey from 1967/68. Just like the Preds based their Winter Classic jersey this year on the Dixie Flyers jersey from the same era.

spacer.png

If you look close, the numbers on their backs were blue for some reason which made them disappear into their stripe a bit. I’ve changed that on my concept, but I think they were able to get away with it because they centered their numbers in the stripe since they didn’t have names on the back.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Rockets also had 8 stars on the front of their jersey, so I half seriously replaced them with lightning bolts in my concept, but they don’t look great to say the least, so I will probably leave them out.

spacer.png

I think the stripes need adjusting before I finalize this render with textures and stuff but overall I’m pretty happy with the direction this one is going.

And now the visitors:

spacer.png

Keeping with the theme, I based the Panthers jersey on the concept for the WHA’s charter member Miami Screaming Eagles, who never took the ice in Miami but were immediately moved to Philly because they couldn’t find an adequate stadium. The Screaming Eagles were the first attempt to bring pro hockey to south Florida, and I think this is a good enough looking jersey to give it another shot to see the ice.

spacer.png

Please let me know what you think or where anything can be improved, I’m working on a Winter Classic logo now, and the Wide World of Sports at Disney world seems like the obvious choice for a location, but there may be a better location I’m not thinking of, and that would obviously change the logo.

Nice work!

How about just a panther head for the Florida Panthers' sweaters?

Also, I'd like to see a Southern California Winter Classic.

5 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Nice work!

How about just a panther head for the Florida Panthers' sweaters?

Also, I'd like to see a Southern California Winter Classic.

Thanks! Yeah I tried that, but it didn’t really work with the one color thing the Eagles had going on, I might deviate from that when I go through and revise these though, a little blue could look good but I don’t really know how I would incorporate it.

I personally really like the panthers one. I’m not a big hockey person, but it comes off as super traditional with the full body panther, and the simple red and white scheme. 

The lightning looks good too, it seems like a good fauxback, which is what I feel like is a good idea for a team that doesn’t have much history.

That Panthers one is beautiful! My only idea is that you could add a simplified, one color version of the palm tree logo on the shoulders...

The Tampa Bay one feels pretty darn different from the Rockets inspiration, but it's an interesting concept.

I think I'd rather see the traditional pant striping than the bolt. Also, I think you should align the black hoop so the top half of the 9 fits inside it.

Instead of lightning bolts, you could do the raindrops from the Lightning's wacky '90s alt.

Quick thing, the back numbers are a tiny bit too low on both jerseys.

Good work!

7 hours ago, vtgco said:

I think I'd rather see the traditional pant striping than the bolt. Also, I think you should align the black hoop so the top half of the 9 fits inside it.

Instead of lightning bolts, you could do the raindrops from the Lightning's wacky '90s alt.

Quick thing, the back numbers are a tiny bit too low on both jerseys.

I’m honestly surprised you were able to see the lightning on the pants, I think you’re right though, a thin stripe would probably look better.

I’ll give the rain a shot, but I think it will look just as out of place as the lightning bolts do.

Yeah, the Panthers one is definitely too low, but the Lightning one is actually a lot higher, it just looks weird because of the stripe placement. I still have a lot to work on, but that feedback gives me a place to start playing. Thanks!

I made a lot of small changes to Tampa’s jersey. I ditched the off white collar to make it match better with the Rockets look, as well as adding a black stroke to the name and numbers. The center stripe was moved down and the bottom stripes were separated a bit. The lightning in the center stripe is growing on me, but my final renders will have a version with and without it

spacer.png

On 1/7/2020 at 12:41 AM, vtgco said:

That Panthers one is beautiful! My only idea is that you could add a simplified, one color version of the palm tree logo

this was a great idea, so I based it off of the Eagles logo

spacer.png

I moved the number up and removed the solid red from everything but the sleeves like the Eagles had it and I think it looks better.

spacer.png

I still need to come up with a Winter Classic logo for this game, but that’s gonna depend on where the game is played. I’d definitely want it to be in Orlando because it would potentially draw more fans at a central location.

My first thought is that it would be at Champion Stadium at the Wide World of Sports complex at Disney World, but I have a feeing Disney would tell the NHL to hit the bricks because NBC, not ESPN/FOX would have the TV rights.

My next thought would be Orlando City SC’s stadium, but soccer fields are bigger than football fields and that makes for worse viewing angles for hockey.

You could do the Citrus Bowl stadium, but you’d never fill it up and that would be a real bad look.

Anybody have any ideas?

44 minutes ago, Silence of the Rams said:

spacer.png

It was supposed to be advertised as a stadium so why not

Lol imagine the sight line of the guy on the ground in the corner

The only other stadium big enough in Central Florida would be UCF's. It holds around 40,000.

Also, the Panthers uniform desperately needs some blue. It looks way too much like a faux back for the Coyotes at first glance. 

34 minutes ago, Silence of the Rams said:

the pace car?

No I meant whoever is sitting at like the bottom right corner of the stands would be like a million miles from the ice surface and level to it

If the lightning in the chest stripe feels like too much, you could always replace them with the diagonal rain lines that are seen on their jersey that was never used. It be an interesting nod to a look that most casual fans don’t know about.

11 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

The only other stadium big enough in Central Florida would be UCF's. It holds around 40,000.

Also, the Panthers uniform desperately needs some blue. It looks way too much like a faux back for the Coyotes at first glance. 

I think 40,000 is right about perfect, Orlando being as central as it is allows the game to pull people from both Tampa and Miami plus Jacksonville and the greater Orlando area itself. 

I’ve been trying to add blue for a while now and it is really hard to make it work while keeping the feel of the vintage jersey. Adding gold seems like it worked though.

spacer.png

then a splash of blue around the tops of the stripes is subtle enough but I don’t love it

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

If the lightning in the chest stripe feels like too much, you could always replace them with the diagonal rain lines that are seen on their jersey that was never used. It be an interesting nod to a look that most casual fans don’t know about.

yeah I’ve been thinking about that too, but I’m worried it will pull it too far away from a “Classic” jersey look

47 minutes ago, TheBigBuc said:

Why not have the game here, it seats 37,000.

Well for one, I forgot that Marlins Park had a retractable roof. You could still do it, especially if they changed the game time to a night game, but I feel like having it around Orlando is a bigger opportunity to grow the game, plus the low averages 10° cooler in Orlando than Miami, which would make the ice surface easier to maintain. 

I also like the white away jersey for Miami better than the reverse colors but that’s just a personal preference

3 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

Well for one, I forgot that Marlins Park had a retractable roof. You could still do it, especially if they changed the game time to a night game, but I feel like having it around Orlando is a bigger opportunity to grow the game, plus the low averages 10° cooler in Orlando than Miami, which would make the ice surface easier to maintain. 

I also like the white away jersey for Miami better than the reverse colors but that’s just a personal preference

The reason i suggested Daytona is that if you do it 2 weeks after the Daytona 500 the next big event there is in Late April so you have no worries on scheduling conficts

4 hours ago, Midwest_surfer said:

But the novelty of seeing an outdoor game in tropical Miami would get eyeballs

2 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

The reason i suggested Daytona is that if you do it 2 weeks after the Daytona 500 the next big event there is in Late April so you have no worries on scheduling conficts

Daytona is not a bad idea at all, having a motor sports themed Winter Classic would be awesome. My biggest issues with it are sight lines and the fact that you couldn’t fill it up even if there was 100K+ people wanting to see the game. The seats closest to the corner would be great, but the ones further out would be terrible. That means you could only sell the middle 1/3 of the grandstands, and I feel like that would make it seem really empty.

1 hour ago, TheBigBuc said:

But the novelty of seeing an outdoor game in tropical Miami would get eyeballs

Yeah you’re not wrong. I guess I just have a weird feeling about having an outdoor game in a stadium that’s only partly outdoors. HardRock Stadium seems like it would be a better option since they already completely transform that place for the Miami Open. I still think I want to keep it out of Miami though, the white Panthers jerseys are just too much of a draw for me. I’ll make a home/away version of each though just to see what it would look like.

I decided to make another logo for the Panthers based on both a concept that they made when they were originally designing their identity back in the 90s, and the original Screaming Eagles logo
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png
The paws obviously look weird, but that’s kinda how they looked in the original art. I will probably go back in and refine them later. In any case, I think the newer logos fit the jerseys better. I’m still having a hard time incorporating blue and gold into the jersey, so the stripes here are based on a different Eagles jersey that is making the rounds.

spacer.png

spacer.png