Neo's 40 Team Alternate Universe NHL (Charlotte Checkers)

neo_prankster

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

I think you may be right. I'm open to suggestions.

Denver's getting a different name too.

You could opt to revive the WHA's Cleveland Crusaders name and go with a logo and color scheme inspired by their identity package:

Z3leg3Nl.png

As for a Denver-based team's identity, I'd suggest Denver Spurs or Colorado Cutthroats.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the more I think about it, I don't know that I'd just dismiss the Cleveland Barons identity without careful consideration.

While the NHL Barons' two seasons of play were undoubtedly a let-down, that's in large part due to the fact that the minor league Barons had been a tremendous success. Over 35 seasons - three in the International-American Hockey League, 32 in the American Hockey League - the Barons played sub-.500 hockey just eight times, compiling an overall regular-season record of 1158-901-238 en route to 31 playoff appearances. In the post-season, the minor league Barons advanced to the championship series 13 times and won the title on nine occasions.

Furthermore, your alternate universe NHL Barons would be taking the place of the team that was the "disaster", wouldn't they?

(Of course, in your alternate universe it may well have been the I-AHL/AHL Barons that were the disaster. 🤪 Oh, my head.)    

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Barons was always a solid name, wish the AHL team still had it, but I can't stand the Mr. Peanut logo. 

Yes, while fine for the 1930s era in which the team made its debut - possibly acceptable into the mid-'40s - it isn't a logo that stands the test of time.

As for the NHL Barons logo, that was no sterling benchmark of sports logo design either.  

15 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Yes, while fine for the 1930s era in which the team made its debut - possibly acceptable into the mid-'40s - it isn't a logo that stands the test of time. 

12 minutes ago, Bomba Tomba said:

The old english B could be part of a shoulder logo tho

Hmmm...I wonder how I can update that logo for the 90's...

And how about color schemes and stuff?

Why don't we name the Cleveland NHL Team the Monsters after the real world AHL affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets?

Also...

• SMYTHE
    • Seattle
    • Denver
    • Las Vegas
  • NORRIS
    • Milwaukee
    • Dallas
    • Kansas City
  • ADAMS
    • Hamilton
    • Cincinnati
    • Indianapolis
  • PATRICK
    • Charlotte
    • Miami
    • Atlanta

YOZXkBG.png?1

46 minutes ago, JH42XCC said:

Why don't we name the Cleveland NHL Team the Monsters after the real world AHL affiliate of the Columbus Blue Jackets?

Because the Barons have a lot of history in the AHL, and an NHL team should want to honor their past.

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

3 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

• SMYTHE
    • Seattle
    • Denver
    • Las Vegas
  • NORRIS
    • Milwaukee
    • Dallas
    • Kansas City
  • ADAMS
    • Hamilton
    • Cincinnati
    • Indianapolis
  • PATRICK
    • Charlotte
    • Miami
    • Atlanta

Denver is next after I get Cleveland done, but thank you for the suggestion.

Anyways, here's a revised Barons logo with purple and teal.

spacer.png

C&C Welcome.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

spacer.png

To be honest, I don't think that a combination of teal and purple suit the Cleveland Barons brand. Personally, I think this identity would be better served by a palette of either purple, black, grey and white, or red, black, grey and white.

Depending upon the palette chosen, I'd go with either purple or red for the majority of the top hat (left side of crown and brim), black for the remainder of the hat (right side of crown and outline), and grey for the band. Whichever color was chosen for the majority of the top hat (purple or red) would also be used for the lapel of the coat. The flesh tone shown here would be used for the Baron's face, with both the eyebrows and hair rendered in black. The eye, teeth and shirt collar would remain white, as would the outermost key line. The monocle - colored grey - might be served by some highlights, in white.        

29 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

To be honest, I don't think that a combination of teal and purple suit the Cleveland Barons brand. Personally, I think this identity would be better served by a palette of either purple, black, grey and white, or red, black, grey and white.

Depending upon the palette chosen, I'd go with either purple or red for the majority of the top hat (left side of crown and brim), black for the remainder of the hat (right side of crown and outline), and grey for the band. Whichever color was chosen for the majority of the top hat (purple or red) would also be used for the lapel of the coat. The flesh tone shown here would be used for the Baron's face, with both the eyebrows and hair rendered in black. The eye, teeth and shirt collar would remain white, as would the outermost key line. The monocle - colored grey - might be served by some highlights, in white.        

How's this?

spacer.png

spacer.png

C&C Welcome.

Archived