Neo's 40 Team Alternate Universe NHL (Charlotte Checkers)

neo_prankster

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, rorinator said:

Probably one or two, as the purple is similar to your awesome Barons concept. I'd like to see #1 for your own take on a Colorado team, but I'd be fine with an alternate version of the Avalanche too.

Rough idea for a Cougars shoulder patch:

ufOXNlX.png

Cleaned up primary:

9Bt982X.png

C&C Welcome.

5 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

@Ridleylash Thanks for the name ideas. What years would you suggest I add those teams?

In the meantime, here is a sneak peek of the Colorado Cougars.

spacer.png

C&C Welcome.

I like that the mouth and river make a c, I think you could work the mountain into being the ear and maybe make a tree into the nose and whiskers. I like the Wild approach on the logo!  Very clever. 

Edit: looking at the wild logo, I could see you using a similar river mouth thing, and maybe making a moon and cloud the eyes, similar to the Wild logo. I’d try intertwining the geographical and cougar features more in general.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I like that the mouth and river make a c, I think you could work the mountain into being the ear and maybe make a tree into the nose and whiskers. I like the Wild approach on the logo!  Very clever. 

Edit: looking at the wild logo, I could see you using a similar river mouth thing, and maybe making a moon and cloud the eyes, similar to the Wild logo. I’d try intertwining the geographical and cougar features more in general.

How about this?

ynan1ip.png

Just now, neo_prankster said:

How about this?

ynan1ip.png

I’d make the river a bit smaller, and curve the mountain like you did the ear, and mask the eye as a moon or star a bit better. Maybe try the Star the Nuggets took inspiration from as something for inspiration.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

That’s a lot better! Maybe snow cap all the mountains, not as much as the ear one, but all a little bit maybe for continuity’s sake? Maybe get rid of the nose, as the little red kind of sticks out now with the (much improved) eye. You could maybe ad some foreground stuff in red as well, some trees maybe in red, to add depth. And get rid of the white in the tooth, the shadow of it is enough.

But a lot of that’s just fooling around to see what turns out best, it looks really good right now!

Edit; imagine it like a portrait of the Colorado wilderness, captured into the silhouette of a cougar in such a way that the natural scenery makes up the features of a cougar. Rather than trying to fit the scenery into the features of a cougar logo.

3YCQJRO.png

36 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

That’s a lot better! Maybe snow cap all the mountains, not as much as the ear one, but all a little bit maybe for continuity’s sake? Maybe get rid of the nose, as the little red kind of sticks out now with the (much improved) eye. You could maybe ad some foreground stuff in red as well, some trees maybe in red, to add depth. And get rid of the white in the tooth, the shadow of it is enough.

But a lot of that’s just fooling around to see what turns out best, it looks really good right now!

Edit; imagine it like a portrait of the Colorado wilderness, captured into the silhouette of a cougar in such a way that the natural scenery makes up the features of a cougar. Rather than trying to fit the scenery into the features of a cougar logo.

How about this?

f5JXbhq.png

C&C Welcome.

4 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

f5JXbhq.png

My honest opinion? This is WAY too busy. There is absolutely no need for so much detail. In reality, this would be an absolute nightmare to reproduce at smaller sizes. 

Frankly, I think that the trees and the moon in the eye can be lost. The number of mountain peaks can be pared down to three, maybe four... and I don't think that they need to be snowcapped.

I'd suggest going all the way back to your "sneak peak of the Colorado Cougars", which was sleeker and more stylized. Embrace the simplicity on display in that original sketch. Indeed, copy its layout almost exactly as depicted. Cut down on the size/length of the river... maybe even lose it. Color the upper half of said mark yellow, the lower half blue. Render the three whisker strokes as in your "cleaned up primary", colored blue. Make the triangular eye white and the nose red.

In short, look to capture some of the design ethos on display here...

wGAqNV1m.jpg

... rather than here...

nfBH6LBm.png 

Bottom line? Less is more.

10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

How about this?

f5JXbhq.png

C&C Welcome.

It's getting close to being there, but I think a star would look a bit better for the eye; the moon makes it look a bit...well, either cartoonish or like this cougar just got a stick right up a place he didn't want a stick to go; and it also isn't quite as aggressive-looking as a new animal-based sports brand would've been in the 90's NHL, even early on in the decade (ex: the Sharks' stick-smashing shark, the Mighty Ducks' glowering duck mask, the Panthers' leaping and roaring Florida panther).

I dunno how much I like the trees at the bottom, either; I'd need to see it put onto a jersey at a smaller size then this, so I can judge how it looks; but I wonder if it could end up unbalancing the logo on smaller applications. Maybe shrinking them a bit might help?

The curvature of the lower jaw/river looks a bit funky, as well, because I feel that extra asymmetrical negative space throws things off a tad too much in silhouette. The Wild's logo gets that perfectly, so I think taking a cue from that as far as handling the river might be a good way to smooth that issue for me.

21 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

And yeah, that last Patrick spot was hard to settle. Ideally, I'd have both Charlotte and Nashville, but the 3-per-division format forced me to pick one or the other.

I picked Nashville over Charlotte due to the fact that there were a lot of rumors somewhere around 1995-ish that the Devils were going to be relocated to Nashville. If I'm recalling correctly, it was actually very close to happening, and it was ultimately the team winning the Stanley Cup that year which saved the Devils.

Neither of the Carolinas really seemed to crop up in relocation talks that often during that time period from my (admittedly quick) research before Karmanos went and whisked the Whalers off to North Carolina. And since the Whalers aren't moving, well, that kinda hurt as well.

The other part of it was that I couldn't quite justify to myself the idea of cutting one of Orlando (a larger TV market and MSA then Charlotte and a close rival for Tampa to battle with) or Atlanta (huge TV market, large MSA and also a potential rival to Nashville) for Charlotte.

The large amount of relocation rumors is fair, but Orlando is only about 3,000 people larger than Charlotte (not to mention the Orlando and Tampa market somewhat overlap), but Charlotte is a whole 600,000 people larger than Nashville plus would have an even bigger rivalry with Atlanta because Charlotte hates Atlanta.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived