50 years ago today...

wdm1219inpenna

On 1/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But talk of fixes is the refuge of the intellectually dishonest, of those who are seeking an excuse to dismiss the legitimate results on the field or court.

and this is where you lose any credibility you had.  Going from a good debate to summarily dismissing people with opposing views.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

and this is where you lose any credibility you had.  Going from a good debate to summarily dismissing people with opposing views.

Views based in fantasy rather than reality deserve to be dismissed.

And the only credibility that matters is that of the leagues in question, which is impeccable.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Views based in fantasy rather than reality deserve to be dismissed.

And the only credibility that matters is that of the leagues in question, which is impeccable.

1d7bsn.jpg?a438216

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And you lost me. You’re basically saying that there’s absolutely no corruption in major professional sports, when we’ve seen a clear example in MLB recently. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

And you lost me. You’re basically saying that there’s absolutely no corruption in major professional sports, when we’ve seen a clear example in MLB recently. 

First of all, what we saw in baseball is one team trying to skirt the rules to gain an advantage. That has nothing to do with the type of corruption that is under discussion here, which is a league fixing the results for the benefit of a favoured team.

Secondly, even the one-team effort by the Astros was uncovered as a result of the enormous amount of scrutiny on Major League Baseball.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 1/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

talk of fixes is the refuge of the intellectually dishonest, of those who are seeking an excuse to dismiss the legitimate results on the field or court.

And this right here is where you crossed a line. 

It’s certainly expected to aggressively criticize the positions your fellow posters take.   But here you are criticizing those posters themselves, which is out of bounds.  We don’t have to respect every argument posted on these boards; gods know some just aren’t worthy of respect. But every person here is.

The distinction may seem subtle but is actually crucial.  I can say that “personal insults betray the shallowness of one’s argument” without actually calling anybody shallow.

Come on, everyone.  Let’s try to keep it civil.  Attack the argument, not the poster. 

Archived