Minor Tweak to Seahawks logo

Gothamite

Watching the Seahawks in the playoffs this year, I've decided that I really like their color scheme.  Even the neon green looks good in some applications.  In particular, it was Pete Carroll's hoodie.

epa-usa-american-football-nfl-playoffs-1

And the way the colors work in light.

06630f37f94808252317e0557152e821.jpg

But the logo itself doesn't work for me at all.  It's bland and boring, and the gray and white blend together at distance.  The original version of this logo was a lot better, with the second shade of blue.  But when it was re-colored in 2012, I think they fumbled.  Just not enough contrast.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzlkQoW_UDE5OeBWq8Yu5

I got to thinking what the logo would look like with more green.  Not necessarily one-color green, like Pete's jacket above, but just a little more.  So I gave the lower stripe back its verdant beauty, and replaced the white for their silver/gray for good measure.

iTgbtuI.pngaBdI43q.png

Not an earth-shattering change, but to my eye, this works a lot better, and fits better with their history to boot.  Your thoughts?

Just my two cents, but I like having the lime green solely be in the eye. It provides just the right amount of contrast. Having a colour as eyegrabbing as lime green should be used sparingly for maximum effect. Less is more in this case. The fact that its located in the bird's eye draws your own eye to it as well and adds that little extra bit of intensity to it, almost as if the eyes are glowing, they become the clear focal point of the logo.

Speaking for only myself, given how small the eye is in relation to the Seahawks logo as a whole, a confinement of the neon green to the eye does not really draw my attention to that part of the design, does not sway me into thinking that the emblem is any bit more intense than if the neon green were applied more liberally, and does not even help with the contrast of colors within the logo as I see it.  Thus, if the Seahawks are not willing to return to the 2002-11 version of their logo, then I think that the changes proposed by @Gothamite are precisely how the symbol should evolve.

I am not a fan of the current look, with the dark blue logo elements on the dark blue helmet and then the grey as the second element.  I like your version better, but I am still going to hold out and say that a silver helmet would solve most of what I don't like about  the Seahawks helmet.   Something like their 2002 prototype would be better for me. 

Image result for seattle seahawks prototype silver helmet

Absolutely, the whole bottom half should be green to stay in line with how it was originally. I argued this a couple times:

On 10/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, the admiral said:

I happened upon a clip of an old Seahawks game from 1992 and I noticed the names were in Trade Gothic (the Avalanche/Canadiens font). I think that would be a good modern touch for the Seahawks, especially if they were in neon green. The bottom of the seahawk logo should be in that green instead of grey, too: it'd be truer to the original logo while still pushing boundaries because it's such an unconventional color. More green, less grey, be loud.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:24 PM, the admiral said:

Man I still don't get why the Seahawks didn't do the bottom of the bird in neon green, it would look so good jumping off the helmets and such. That's too much grey!

More neon green is good. Can I get you on board with the modern sans-serif NOBs too?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Watching the Seahawks in the playoffs this year, I've decided that I really like their color scheme.  Even the neon green looks good in some applications.

So I gave the lower stripe back its verdant beauty, and replaced the white for their silver/gray for good measure.

iTgbtuI.png

While I'd be on board with changing the lower stripe in the Seahawk's logo to Action Green, I can't say I consider it a "good measure" to swap out the White for Wolf Grey. To my eye, much of the visual "pop" that's gained by increasing the amount of the neon Green hue in the mark is undercut by replacing the crisp, stark White with drab, muted Grey.

All of that said, I - like WideRight - am of the opinion that the Seahawks' look would be best served by the return of a Metallic Silver helmet... with pants to match.    

Okay, what if we left the outline white but put it on a silver shell?  That would justify the wolf gray in the uniform, and a fourth color is not needed in the logo itself.

5RVhzdN.png

This is absolutely what I'd love to see them do with the inevitable next set of tweaks.

The Seahawks almost have to do the mono blue look to have their own lane in the silver-blue crowd. The old forever-8-8 Seahawks just looked like the poor man's Lions from a distance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Seahawks almost have to do the mono blue look to have their own lane in the silver-blue crowd. The old forever-8-8 Seahawks just looked like the poor man's Lions from a distance.

Good God, NO!!! The monochrome blue uniforms are an absolute eyesore.

Further, I'll kindly request that you give credit where credit is due and refer to the middling Seattle NFL teams of 1976 through 2001 by their rightful - and more accurate - derisive moniker, "The Old Forever 9-7 Seahawks".

As for the Seahawks looking like "the poor man's Lions" from 1976 through 2001, Detroit should be so lucky. While the two teams split their head-to-head match-ups during said era, Seattle had the better overall record (188-216 to Detroit's 172-231-1), eked out two more winning seasons than the Lions (10 to 8), and won three times as many playoff games as Detroit (3 victories to 1 😉😛). All that and sported the better uniforms, to boot!

"Looked like the poor man's Lions". Why I never! 

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Okay, what if we left the outline white but put it on a silver shell?  That would justify the wolf gray in the uniform, and a fourth color is not needed in the logo itself.

5RVhzdN.png

This is absolutely what I'd love to see them do with the inevitable next set of tweaks.

Honestly, I think the logo with the green stripe looks a lot better on the blue helmet.  Seems to pop a bit more.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, Chromatic said:

Just my two cents, but I like having the lime green solely be in the eye. It provides just the right amount of contrast. Having a colour as eyegrabbing as lime green should be used sparingly for maximum effect. Less is more in this case. The fact that its located in the bird's eye draws your own eye to it as well and adds that little extra bit of intensity to it, almost as if the eyes are glowing, they become the clear focal point of the logo.

Totally agree with this! I think that's why their color scheme is so great. Aside from their color rush unis, they use the lime so sparingly yet perfectly

Archived