2020 College Football

MJWalker45

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is the new stadium where Qualcomm stood being built yet? If it's starting after this year it makes sense. Petco Park could be used but if the Padres are expected to make a deep run in the playoffs I understand not wanting to swap out baseball and football layouts.

From what I have read, Qualcomm demolition starts first quarter 2021.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/17/2020 at 7:41 AM, leopard88 said:

I should point out that this attitude isn't limited to the Power 5.

I follow a Lafayette sports message board (niche interest, to be sure) and most of the regulars are freaking out about the absence of Patriot League football.  Many of them are also freaking out because the college went fully virtual with a mostly empty campus while other Patriot League schools have students on campus, so there's that.

Very true. It's why we have schools like Eastern Kentucky and Central Arkansas playing near-full schedules despite there being nothing for them to actually play for this fall.

This season is such a pointless mess. I believe I saw that there are seven games from this weekend that have been postponed or cancelled. Off the top of my head there's Memphis-Houston, Baylor-Houston (double whammy for the Cougs), Arkansas State-Central Arkansas, Charlotte-North Carolina, and Georgia Southern-Florida Atlantic. I wonder why the Big Ten was hesitant to jump into this :censored:show?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29916714/pac-12-ceos-vote-meeting-season-start-source-says

So, allegedly the Pac-12 is going to take a vote on when football will come back and it appears that they've scrapped spring football. However, "before January 1st" does seem to be a pretty wide timeframe so who knows when they'll come back (November 7th appears to be the target date, but who knows at this point). Now, I think it's only a matter of time before the rest of the conferences restart football. 

The Big Ten is starting to unveil their 8 game conference based schedule with opening weekend for them being October 24th. Those games are..

-Illinois at Wisconsin

-Iowa at Purdue

-Michigan at Minnesota

-Nebraska at Ohio State

-Maryland at Northwestern

-Rutgers at Michigan State

-Penn State at Indiana

Hey, Bill, you're new here I guess, so, a couple of things.

First of all, speaking as a fan of a team that plays Ohio State and Penn State (and both Michigans!) every year, get bent.

Second of all, you lost at home to Indiana last season.  There are protocols for programs who lose at home to Indiana, especially if they claim to be good at football.  For example, until you actually beat Indiana in your home stadium, you are to constantly be followed by a nun ringing a bell whilst saying "shame."  Your coach also permanently carries the black spot, the dreaded pirate's death sentence, so he might want to avoid open waters.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

Hey, Bill, you're new here I guess, so, a couple of things.

First of all, speaking as a fan of a team that plays Ohio State and Penn State (and both Michigans!) every year, get bent.

Second of all, you lost at home to Indiana last season.  There are protocols for programs who lose at home to Indiana, especially if they claim to be good at football.  For example, until you actually beat Indiana in your home stadium, you are to constantly be followed by a nun ringing a bell whilst saying "shame."  Your coach also permanently carries the black spot, the dreaded pirate's death sentence, so he might want to avoid open waters.

As a fan of one of those Big Ten East teams, you might be a little more grateful.  Without Nebraska having some gonads, I doubt there's multiple lawsuits, pressure from ADs and politicians and likely no Big Ten season.  Of course people are going to fawn all over Justin Fields and OSU, but this fire really got started with Scott Frost and Bill Moos.  

Because of NU, Desmond Howard gets to watch Michigan lose to Ohio State in 2020.  

You're welcome. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, Red Wolf said:

Oh good, I was worried we might have to go without football. Jesus, could you even imagine? What would we do without one of the many sources of entertainment in our lives? 

We would be as oppressed as North Koreans.... 

I saw, I came, I left.

I think the NFL had a responsibility to make it back out there. That's what the money's for. But players who aren't getting paid, while universities are running this Treehouse-of-Horror-where-they-eat-Uter scam whereby kids get expelled for sneezing and forfeit their tuition money? No, screw them, no college football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, pianoknight said:

As a fan of one of those Big Ten East teams, you might be a little more grateful.  Without Nebraska having some gonads, I doubt there's multiple lawsuits, pressure from ADs and politicians and likely no Big Ten season.  Of course people are going to fawn all over Justin Fields and OSU, but this fire really got started with Scott Frost and Bill Moos. 

Indiana had a player get hospitalized from COVID.  Based on what his mother put out, I wouldn't be surprised if his playing career is done.  And yeah, Indiana was supposed to be good this year, but you know what, this half eaten rump of a season isn't worth it; it's a pathetic reminder of what could have been, especially since any "heads" the Hoosiers do take would be handwaved away as a consequence of a bizarre pandemic-affected season.  So, yeah, gee, thanks.  Hopefully Scott Frost doesn't get anyone killed because you know Nebraska isn't going to report anything short of a hospitalization.  (In fairness, this is probably going to be what most of the B1G's athletic departments, all of whom are out of control and show little regard to the health and safety of their general local populations, do.)

Because of NU, Desmond Howard gets to watch Michigan lose to Ohio State in 2020.  

And this means what to me precisely.  I mean nothing's ever going to top the beclowning he took in the Michigan State punt block game, anything that happens in the little Michigan-Ohio State game is as meaningless to me as Kirk Ferentz again stealing Nebraska's lunch money on Black Friday.

You're welcome. 

38-31, 8-10-3.  I hope you continue to enjoy being the first B1G member ever to have a losing record all-time to Indiana.  We have a losing record to the flippining University of Chicago but not to you. WE'RE 12 GAMES UNDER .500 AGAINST NORTHWESTERN! Shame. (ring) Shame. (ring) Shame. (ring)....

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

18 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

If anyone had any illusions that the Pac-12 was any different from other conferences, allow me to disillusion you.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/09/21/hotline-exclusive-pac-12-paid-performance-bonuses-to-executives-and-staff-prior-to-major-downsizing-move/

I think they deserve the name American or Conference USA more than those conferences do now. Well met, Pacific 12.

21 hours ago, rams80 said:

Indiana had a player get hospitalized from COVID.  Based on what his mother put out, I wouldn't be surprised if his playing career is done.  And yeah, Indiana was supposed to be good this year, but you know what, this half eaten rump of a season isn't worth it; it's a pathetic reminder of what could have been, especially since any "heads" the Hoosiers do take would be handwaved away as a consequence of a bizarre pandemic-affected season.  So, yeah, gee, thanks.  Hopefully Scott Frost doesn't get anyone killed because you know Nebraska isn't going to report anything short of a hospitalization.  (In fairness, this is probably going to be what most of the B1G's athletic departments, all of whom are out of control and show little regard to the health and safety of their general local populations, do.)

And this means what to me precisely.  I mean nothing's ever going to top the beclowning he took in the Michigan State punt block game, anything that happens in the little Michigan-Ohio State game is as meaningless to me as Kirk Ferentz again stealing Nebraska's lunch money on Black Friday.

38-31, 8-10-3.  I hope you continue to enjoy being the first B1G member ever to have a losing record all-time to Indiana.  We have a losing record to the flippining University of Chicago but not to you. WE'RE 12 GAMES UNDER .500 AGAINST NORTHWESTERN! Shame. (ring) Shame. (ring) Shame. (ring)....

Nebraska has met Indiana exactly twice since joining the Big Ten. The previous game was back in 1978.

And prior to the 2019 loss - where Indiana had as many fake injuries as points - the last time we legitimately lost to the Hoosiers was 1959.

Your post makes it sound like we've lost 15 games straight.

Congrats on winning the message board. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

Nebraska has met Indiana exactly twice since joining the Big Ten. The previous game was back in 1978.

Teams who haven't had an MNC appearance in the lifetimes of some of their players and haven't won a national title in all of them (or a Conference title for most) probably shouldn't be casting shade about how far in the past something happened.

And prior to the 2019 loss - where Indiana had as many fake injuries as points - the last time we legitimately lost to the Hoosiers was 1959.

You mean the one where Tom Allen's son's season ended?  Good job good effort Big Red Nation.  (Also being the first Nebraska coach to lose to Indiana in 60 years is not a good look for Scott Frost).

Your post makes it sound like we've lost 15 games straight.

IU's the black spot dude, you might as well have.

Having a losing record to us would be as if Nebraska had a losing record to Kansas or Iowa State.  And over a span of more than 20 games?  Indiana should be at least 7 or 8 games in the hole by that point for just about any other P5 program with pretensions of greatness.

Congrats on winning the message board. 

Thanks.  Did I mention that Scott Frost actually demanded to play Indiana more often prior to last season?

Today, we are all otaku.

I never expected to be ringside for a Huskers/Hoosiers slugfest!

Anyway, how do you think the CFP committee will handle the rankings of the B1G teams? The teams will only have played 3 or 4 games by that time. Others will have played at least 2 or 3 games more by that time.

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Anyway, how do you think the CFP committee will handle the rankings of the B1G teams? The teams will only have played 3 or 4 games by that time. Others will have played at least 2 or 3 games more by that time.

When the first CFP rankings come out, the Big Ten will be at the halfway point of their season while the ACC would 3 quarters of the way done, the Big 12 would be at the same pace and the SEC would be as well.

If anything, the committee might hold some victories as much more important then others because the conferences are largely sticking to themselves this season. For example, Ohio State being 4-0 with a strong victory might hold more weight then, say, Texas or Oklahoma at 7-0 with no strong victories.

4 hours ago, JayMac said:

I never expected to be ringside for a Huskers/Hoosier slugfest!

I'm not sure why he's so riled up.  I guess the 2019 scoreboard and a lone Rose Bowl appearance from John Pont are paramount for a school with the distinction of the most FBS losses all-time.  But yeah, let's go with that instead of having blue blood / top 10 status on almost every statistical category that matters in CFB.

http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/indiana

Can someone please find me a Texas or Penn State fan to argue with instead? 🤣

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived