2020 College Football

MJWalker45

22 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

So question. Was Vanderbilt ever taken seriously as an SEC team? Or in Football for that matter? I think it similar to my issues with SFA, Good in Basketball and other sports, sucks at football. Only difference is that SFA is (For right now I think) is still in the FCS. What's Vanderbilt excuse?

No. Vanderbilt has never been a serious SEC team. They've always been the nerd school that was there to be kicked around by the jock schools. Losing to Vanderbilt has always been a mark of a poor coach or program. They've never even hit double digit wins. There's a reason that James Franklin finished fourth in the SEC East in two straight years and became the hottest commodity in college football.

Excuses? Academic restrictions, poor facilities, and zero history of success to point back towards.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

No. Vanderbilt has never been a serious SEC team. They've always been the nerd school that was there to be kicked around by the jock schools. Losing to Vanderbilt has always been a mark of a poor coach or program. They've never even hit double digit wins. There's a reason that James Franklin finished fourth in the SEC East in two straight years and became the hottest commodity in college football.

Excuses? Academic restrictions, poor facilities, and zero history of success to point back towards.

So Vanderbilt is like the SEC answer to an Ivy League school. I honestly been watching football for almost two decades (I'm 27 btw and was mostly into Hockey growing up), but I don't even remember Vandy getting fourth place two years straight? 

*looked it up on Wikipedia* Wow, that was atleast nine years ago and I still forgot. 

I take back to what I said about SFA. Vanderbilt is the Lolcow of the FBS. Wondering who having the worse year so far, Vanderbilt or Rice University. 

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

Rice has won a game this season, they just have been unable to play any games thanks to COVID-19 issues either with them or the teams they're supposed to play

Vanderbilt, on the other hand, is 0-8 with one game left on their schedule (at Georgia next week). They've barely been in any of the games this season save for one (Kentucky, a 3 point loss).

You want a bigger Lolcow in the FBS? Try Kansas. They're 0-8, like Vanderbilt. Unlike the Commodores, the Jayhawks have been blown out in every game. The only loss that was less then 20 points was the season opening loss to Coastal Carolina.

12 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

You want a bigger Lolcow in the FBS? Try Kansas. They're 0-8, like Vanderbilt. Unlike the Commodores, the Jayhawks have been blown out in every game. The only loss that was less then 20 points was the season opening loss to Coastal Carolina.

I forgot about Kansas, yeah they are a bigger Lolcow team then Vanderbilt.

So Vandy and Kansas.. Who else are the big Lolcows of College Football in 2020 (or general for that matter)? I can name a few like UMass and Syracuse. Any other suggestions?

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

1 hour ago, Matthew24 said:

So Vandy and Kansas.. Who else are the big Lolcows of College Football in 2020 (or general for that matter)? I can name a few like UMass and Syracuse. Any other suggestions?

Kansas and Syracuse are basketball schools, Vanderbilt can’t even say that. UMass recently moved up to FBS so they don’t a history of losing like Vanderbilt.

7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I'll be honest, I would have assumed that a female had kicked at a P5 level at some point without me noticing. I know it's happened elsewhere. I think Arkansas State even played a school with a female kicker in the 90's or early aughts. Nice to see regardless. Sad that it had to be Vanderbilt that was the first to make it happen for the reasons already outlined. They are the team who I mostly remember from me turning on the TV at noon on a Saturday and somehow they were down 45-3 to Florida every single week.

Katie Knida kicked at Colorado, before the P5 designation was a thing. That’s the only issue I have with saying she’s the 1st. Additionally it’s like ( I know it’s a reach and not a reach) saying the G5 schools are inferiors. Kent State had a female kicker make a few field goals in 2015. 

44 minutes ago, walkerws said:

Katie Knida kicked at Colorado, before the P5 designation was a thing. That’s the only issue I have with saying she’s the 1st. Additionally it’s like ( I know it’s a reach and not a reach) saying the G5 schools are inferiors. Kent State had a female kicker make a few field goals in 2015. 

Katie dressed for Colorado but never actually played. 

jNTsTyQ.png

4 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

ULM is up there. Zero wins this season and their best year in FBS ended with a blowout loss in their bowl game. Their football facilities are wretched and they're not even the top G5 program in northern Louisiana. They often feel like an FCS school. Of course, this is just me jinxing Arkansas State extra hard for when they play soon.

Kansas won a BCS bowl when they got really good for a second. Though I recall that they dodged Oklahoma and Texas that season, and Missouri was punished for beating KU because they lost to OU (again). That was also the season where we went into the final week with Missouri and West Virginia set to play in the national championship. Missouri lost to Oklahoma while West Virginia totally blew it against Pitt. So instead we just got LSU beating Ohio State.

6 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

UMass has been bad ever since the move to the FBS level. This year, even with a shortened season, has been really bad. 12 points in 4 games... that's epic levels of lolcow.

Syracuse is more bad luck then anything. Yesterday's loss to NC State was a microcosm of the season for the Orange - 4th down and a chance to win the game and they spike it.

UL-Monroe is another contender for this year's lolcow. As @Red Wolf mentioned, zero wins this year for the Warhawks. The nearest loss was a 5 point defeat at the hands of Georgia Southern.

15 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I'll be honest, I would have assumed that a female had kicked at a P5 level at some point without me noticing. I know it's happened elsewhere. I think Arkansas State even played a school with a female kicker in the 90's or early aughts. Nice to see regardless. Sad that it had to be Vanderbilt that was the first to make it happen for the reasons already outlined. They are the team who I mostly remember from me turning on the TV at noon on a Saturday and somehow they were down 45-3 to Florida every single week.

Vanderbilt reminds me of how Northwestern was before Gary Barnett arrived. Everyone assumed the only reason they were allowed in the league was to boost the GPA of the dumb jock schools like Ohio State and Illinois. Unlike Northwestern though, Vanderbilt seems to have less alumni interaction. They also have to deal with being close to Tennessee and trying to fundraise in the same areas as the Vols, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Northwestern being better than Illinois helps them as much as Vanderbilt is hurt by being so bad compared to the rest of the SEC.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

BSCRV57.png

6 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Kansas won a BCS bowl when they got really good for a second. Though I recall that they dodged Oklahoma and Texas that season, and Missouri was punished for beating KU because they lost to OU (again). That was also the season where we went into the final week with Missouri and West Virginia set to play in the national championship. Missouri lost to Oklahoma while West Virginia totally blew it against Pitt. So instead we just got LSU beating Ohio State.

That 2007 season still to this day is the single zaniest season any sport at any level has experienced in this country. So many, well, just random occurrences...like, for the little bit of time they were up there, South Florida being the #2 team in the country (credit them though for beating Auburn at Auburn in OT that season though) and themselves making a push for the natty (until that went bust the very next week). And the most random occurrence of the most random season ever? That Kansas squad you mentioned...the Orange Bowl Champion Kansas Jayhawks, led by a guy that made even Andy Reid look somewhat trim, Mark Mangino. (Google at your own risk.) And I sure would've loved to have seen the sports world bust at the sight of Missouri & West Virginia squaring off for the natty that year, but alas. 

Man that season was fun...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

11 hours ago, Matthew24 said:

*Gesticulates at the bottom half of the B1G East standings*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

8 minutes ago, Buc said:

That 2007 season still to this day is the single zaniest season any sport at any level has experienced in this country. So many, well, just random occurrences...like, for the little bit of time they were up there, South Florida being the #2 team in the country (credit them though for beating Auburn at Auburn in OT that season though) and themselves making a push for the natty (until that went bust the very next week). And the most random occurrence of the most random season ever? That Kansas squad you mentioned...the Orange Bowl Champion Kansas Jayhawks, led by a guy that made even Andy Reid look somewhat trim, Mark Mangino. (Google at your own risk.) And I sure would've loved to have seen the sports world bust at the sight of Missouri & West Virginia squaring off for the natty that year, but alas. 

Mangino made the Orange Bowl mascot look trim.

DHUGNAkVwAAK8g1.jpg

That season was wild.

I'd also agree with FSU as a laughing stock. How fast they descended from Playoff contender to one of the worst P5 teams in the country is insane and doesn't seem like it's getting better anytime soon.

IUe6Hvh.png

49 minutes ago, Buc said:

... I had to check and see when that crazy Boise State win over Oklahoma was ... that was the 2006 season. 

I saw, I came, I left.

Just now, See Red said:

Mangino made the Orange Bowl mascot look trim.

That season was wild.

I'd also agree with FSU as a laughing stock. How fast they descended from Playoff contender to one of the worst P5 teams in the country is insane and doesn't seem like it's getting better anytime soon.

Never mind that... national champion. 

I saw, I came, I left.

29 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Never mind that... national champion. 

Yeah, I was going to go with that but they had two years after that where they were still playing in NY6 bowls so it kind of downplays how fast they went from respectable to trainwreck.  They basically went from winning the Orange Bowl, to a bad luck season where their starting QB got hurt and they had to plugin in a 3-star true freshman and were still halfway respectable, to dumpster fire in the course of two or three seasons.  But yeah, the fact that they went from National Champion to this in five or six years is pretty incredible.

IUe6Hvh.png

59 minutes ago, Buc said:

The year in which being ranked #2 was a curse. Cal and Boston College even occupied that spot. Matt Ryan was a Heisman contender for a good while. I bet Mizzou vs. West Virginia in the title game would have gotten schools off their asses to start a playoff a lot quicker.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Vanderbilt reminds me of how Northwestern was before Gary Barnett arrived. Everyone assumed the only reason they were allowed in the league was to boost the GPA of the dumb jock schools like Ohio State and Illinois. Unlike Northwestern though, Vanderbilt seems to have less alumni interaction. They also have to deal with being close to Tennessee and trying to fundraise in the same areas as the Vols, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. Northwestern being better than Illinois helps them as much as Vanderbilt is hurt by being so bad compared to the rest of the SEC.

Northwestern also has the benefit of being in a division where nobody recruits particularly well; the talent gap they have to make up against Nebraska and Wisconsin (the best recruiters in the B1G West) is so, so, so much smaller than the talent gap Vandy has to make up with Florida and Georgia in the SEC East (not to mention Tennessee or even South Carolina).

Northwestern has had its share of success because they have a corny coach who’s an alum that fits them perfectly and who nobody else really wants to hire anyway, and also because you can do things like be an awful offensive football team and win games 17-13 regularly in the B1G West. Vanderbilt doesn’t really have … any of that, especially not when Florida and Georgia both seem to have a (big picture) pulse.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived